Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default OEM Saddlebag hack

For my fellow OCD folks out there, I figured out how to make the latch more secure and get the keys to line up when locked. One bag continually would jiggle loose going down the road. As others have stated or queried, "why is one latch 90 degrees of from the other?"

First step was to remove latch and file a small detent notch to capture around the catch post; see first photo. Next I bent the double 90 bend to make it 'shorter' and grab tighter against the catch post: when locking the bag I can now feel the slight engagement of the detent; see photo 2.

Next, while you still have the latch off of the lock, use a small screw driver to lift the bright colored plate from the lock set; see photo 3. Orient yourself with the desired new position and replace the plate to register the new orientation. I aligned mine so both locked positions are parallel to the direction of travel with the teeth of the key toward the front of the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pauly1; 08-18-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting. I discovered I can align them when replacing them with combo-cams out of frustration. Realigning one still didn't address the crappy key mechanism and the combi-cams eliminates the need for a key all together.

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The solution I posted was not intended to fix hypercritical attitudes as your blog would seem to indicate; perhaps with all the advertising on the blog there is compensation involved that should be disclosed.

Indeed your solution is superior in aesthetics and eliminating the key. It is more expensive. My key insertion problems were resolved with a bit of dry teflon lube.

The posting was meant to give options to those of us who like to think through problems. Additionally, my latching problem would not have resolved by changing out the tumbler.

Regards,
    Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 08-19-2015 at 06:40 AM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I commend everyone for their solutions to this problem but if you paid over 1k for these BRP saddle bags why are you not making the Dealer/BRP fix this defective part?