Thread: Ugly DESS Error

yudydude

Default Ugly DESS Error

Got this DESS Error about 3 weeks ago just as my 3000 miles check up was due. Told the dealer about it and they checked it out and said it was ok. Got on my bike today and got the error 3 times. Couldn't get it started quickly. Had to walk away twice, tried to use the other key once. Finally got it started and took it directley to the dealer. Told them I wanted a new module and reprogram the keys. One of the guys told me that thay had just uncrated a new RT and it had the DESS error on it from the get go? Whats up with this stuff?

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yudydude View Post
    Got this DESS Error about 3 weeks ago just as my 3000 miles check up was due. Told the dealer about it and they checked it out and said it was ok. Got on my bike today and got the error 3 times. Couldn't get it started quickly. Had to walk away twice, tried to use the other key once. Finally got it started and took it directley to the dealer. Told them I wanted a new module and reprogram the keys. One of the guys told me that thay had just uncrated a new RT and it had the DESS error on it from the get go? Whats up with this stuff?
    After all the posts I've seen on here about people with D.E.S.S. errors, I'm beginning to dislike that feature. I'd be happy to disable it if I could find a way.

Pam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems that beginning in the 2014 model year; BRP bought a bunch of DESS modules that even would have embarrassed the builders of the Yugo...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't understand this epidemic of failures now.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It seems that beginning in the 2014 model year; BRP bought a bunch of DESS modules that even would have embarrassed the builders of the Yugo...
    It's supposed to keep strangers from taking off with your Spyder. Instead, it prevents the owners from taking off with their Spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; it certainly has prevented the theft of THOUSANDS of Spyders!

Spyder Garage

Default Theft

Well, if it wont start, go find a guy in the (theft) market and see if he can get it started .If he can get it started, get his phone number and put it on here, he will be rich.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well; it certainly has prevented the theft of THOUSANDS of Spyders!
    ......Don't test this Theory in downtown Montreal...............Bikes have been stolen while stopped at traffic lights ...Mike

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob2015 View Post
    Well, if it wont start, go find a guy in the (theft) market and see if he can get it started .If he can get it started, get his phone number and put it on here, he will be rich.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I thought only other people, people less worthy than myself, were subject to DESS errors. When it happened to me I realized I had been a DESS snob, no better than any other ryder. Very humbling. It can come into any household at any time no matter how often you brush your teeth, no matter how cheerfully you say "Good morning!" even to people who don't deserve it.

I'm going to start a DESS support group. We're going to wear orange ribbons to match the dashboard screen. Until you've survived this you just don't know.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about some Orange Tee-Shirts, with this guy on the front and back?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Bad batch of DESS Modules?

Reading these posts, it appears there is an issue with the DESS Modules from the supplier. The question is how can BRP's quality control group find and eliminate these kinds of problems before they reach the production line? Is that a fair question?

Spyder Garage

Fair Question!

During the production run, engineers go to the facility of the subcontractor and observe the build.
    They would be looking to see if they are being built to BRP/CanAM specs (i.e. parts used, method of assembly, testing, etc.)
    This typically requires several trips observing the various stages of the build.
    On arrival at BRP/CanAM you take a random 10% and you test them.
    If there are failures you take 10% of the failures and tear them down to investigate and draw conclusions.
    Then you return ALL the failures with the conclusions to the subcontractor for a redo and any updates the subcontractor needs to take to ensure a "zero defect".

That's basically how we did it in the Aerospace Industry.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Reading these posts, it appears there is an issue with the DESS Modules from the supplier. The question is how can BRP's quality control group find and eliminate these kinds of problems before they reach the production line? Is that a fair question?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

My Tri-Glide has a user definable code I can enter if I don't have the FOB on me or if it failed. I would like to see that on the Spyder so my wife would have a better chance of not getting stranded if hers failed.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Yup, Harley has it down.
    Unfortunately, the security system of the CanAm is over thought and over engineered.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    My Tri-Glide has a user definable code I can enter if I don't have the FOB on me or if it failed. I would like to see that on the Spyder so my wife would have a better chance of not getting stranded if hers failed.

=bob=

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

What would be nice is if they could figure out which ones are bad or just change them all. This waiting till they fail ... many brush it off as a glitch till they are stranded....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default a

=bob=
    Just an thought

As most owners are aware there is a procedure for reading the fault codes via various button presses in a sequence on Spyders
    Why don't those BRP Engineers come up with a sequence that would allow owners to temporary disable the DESS to allow them to restart and run the Spyder until they can get it to a dealer to have the issue resolved - There must be a way the software could be made to operate a reset as its only a computer and we know that PC's, Laptops, Tablets & Mobile phones can use a system sequence to restart/boot up when they have a problem
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Just an thought

As most owners are aware there is a procedure for reading the fault codes via various button presses in a sequence on Spyders
    Why don't those BRP Engineers come up with a sequence that would allow owners to temporary disable the DESS to allow them to restart and run the Spyder until they can get it to a dealer to have the issue resolved - There must be a way the software could be made to operate a reset as its only a computer and we know that PC's, Laptops, Tablets & Mobile phones can use a system sequence to restart/boot up when they have a problem
    I would bet BRP mechanics have a way to start the roadsters if they run into this issue. There is probably some combination of switches that will allow an override but it hasn't been released. If the key is present and inserted, a standard code should be available to all. Maybe they will debut this next year at Sturgis.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I doubt that a combination of USER available switches can reset, but when hooked up to BUDS there might be a way!
    Of course that does not help the vast majority, but I would think there might be a way of by-passing the module.

Again, the design is backasswards! Instead of the DESS sending a signal to read the key code, it should be the key or better yet a FOB that sends the signal and just a normal key is used. There should also be a way to manually override the DESS by inserting either a predetermined code which could later be altered by the user like a personal 4-5 digit pin.

The engineers should be looking at what is the difference in the 14/15 RT design & location of the DESS compared to prior years and other models.
    Solution should be simple IF given PRIORITY. Especially since are not all the "faulty" modules are returned to factory?

AJ

I would bet BRP mechanics have a way to start the roadsters if they run into this issue. There is probably some combination of switches that will allow an override but it hasn't been released. If the key is present and inserted, a standard code should be available to all. Maybe they will debut this next year at Sturgis.

=bob=

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black