Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    AJ,
    Even if you haven't had the problem in 18 months?????
    Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot.
    Should be safe, but there are those that have gone 18 months before the initial error.
    I'd say if in that 18 months you've put over 5K miles on the Spyder "most likely" you are safe.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

AJ,

It has been a year( last month Aug. 28th,) since I have had my 2nd D.E.S.S. module & Switch replaced. I have the D.E.S.S. Module part # 710004190, switch part # 710004413.

The current D.E.S.S. Module part # is 710004916.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot.
    Should be safe, but there are those that have gone 18 months before the initial error.
    I'd say if in that 18 months you've put over 5K miles on the Spyder "most likely" you are safe.

AJ
    Well, I joined the club today! Or OH CRAP! Paladin, I was hoping I was safe. 6800 miles and I got the DESS orange screen today. I flipped the key on/off 4-5 times fast and it started. For FYI i was parked in the center of town, and in this area when you pass through, your car radio will go to static. Has been like this for years. As soon as your out of that area static clears up. So maybe it is something in the air????? But I have parked there 100 times before, but not in this one particular spot. Which is right in front of the Library. Wi-Fi???? This area is where our six stores are and the library. (small town. 1 light, 1 alley, 1 drunk in alley. 2.5 min. Rush hour).
    Any ways, I'm off to Netzley tire tomorrow, 3 hours away, so we'll see what happens. If it does it again, I'll take a picture and off to the dealer.
    Tomorrow I'll take my 3 tow plan cards, extra key, empty credit card, list of dealers for the areas l'll pass through (which I think there is only one), and my 4 sheets of Spyders to the rescue.

What a PITA! I have never had to do this with any of the other 18 bikes I have owned.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:49 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Well, I joined the club today! Or OH CRAP! Paladin, I was hoping I was safe. 6800 miles and I got the DESS orange screen today. I flipped the key on/off 4-5 times fast and it started. For FYI i was parked in the center of town, and in this area when you pass through, your car radio will go to static. Has been like this for years. As soon as your out of that area static clears up. So maybe it is something in the air????? But I have parked there 100 times before, but not in this one particular spot. Which is right in front of the Library. Wi-Fi???? This area is where our six stores are and the library. (small town. 1 light, 1 alley, 1 drunk in alley. 2.5 min. Rush hour).
    Any ways, I'm off to Netzley tire tomorrow, 3 hours away, so we'll see what happens. If it does it again, I'll take a picture and off to the dealer.
    Tomorrow I'll take my 3 tow plan cards, extra key, empty credit card, list of dealers for the areas l'll pass through (which I think there is only one), and my 4 sheets of Spyders to the rescue.

What a PITA! I have never had to do this with any of the other 18 bikes I have owned.

."TAKE A PICTURE" .........can you imagine how many Spyders WOULD'T GET SOLD ......if the customers were told ..... and you have to take a PICTURE to prove this happened........ Please, we need to bury this MYTH ...... it's logged in the COMPUTER - - - - FOREVER .................AND THAT'S NOT JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION EITHER .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ."TAKE A PICTURE" .........can you imagine how many Spyders WOULD'T GET SOLD ......if the customers were told ..... and you have to take a PICTURE to prove this happened........ Please, we need to bury this MYTH ...... it's logged in the COMPUTER - - - - FOREVER .................AND THAT'S NOT JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION EITHER .... Mike
    I agree with you Mike! Taking a picture is BS, but then I will have back up in case the dealer tells me, "well, it's not in the computer". I can't personally look at the computer. What I don't get is this "OPEN A CASE WITH BRP"???? WTF??? Am I lying??? It's a Warranty problem! Fix the damn thing! Now I take it that I haven't bought a brand-new motorcycle in a loooong time, last one being in '79. I usually buy used and private sale. So maybe this is a new thing that all makes are doing? I know of the 5 new bikes I bought out of 18 I've owned, if I had a problem and it was under Warranty, I told them, and the dealer fixed it! End of story. OPEN A CASE WITH BRP! Can someone tell what this means and why you have to waste time doing it?? If it's under Warranty FIX THE DAMN THING.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

DESS error x 2

My wife and I both bought new 2014 Spyders in June of 2015. ST-S & ST-Ltd. My wife's Spyder has 2500 miles on it and mine has 4600 miles on it and BOTH Spyders have started displaying the "DESS Error" screen and won't start. It has happened when the Spyders are together and when we are on separate trips. I've read online about the problem but has BRP identified the problem and the fix? Is BRP paying for the fix? If not, how much does the repair cost? Any Advice? Thanks, Jerry
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsonjerr View Post
    DESS error x 2

My wife and I both bought new 2014 Spyders in June of 2015. ST-S & ST-Ltd. My wife's Spyder has 2500 miles on it and mine has 4600 miles on it and BOTH Spyders have started displaying the "DESS Error" screen and won't start. It has happened when the Spyders are together and when we are on separate trips. I've read online about the problem but has BRP identified the problem and the fix? Is BRP paying for the fix? If not, how much does the repair cost? Any Advice? Thanks, Jerry
    It is UNDER WARRANTY. Good luck. Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:54 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Several folks have asked for help in turning off the DESS to rid themselves of the problems permananetly. If you are at the Red Rocks Rally and would like this done, I have my laptop with BUDS module and Megatech licence with me at the rally. PM me or email jcthorne@thornolis.com or just ask at one of the events.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Several folks have asked for help in turning off the DESS to rid themselves of the problems permananetly. If you are at the Red Rocks Rally and would like this done, I have my laptop with BUDS module and Megatech licence with me at the rally. PM me or email jcthorne@thornolis.com or just ask at one of the events.
    " THANK YOU "...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DESS Crashes again Yesterday

Yesterday I was in Erie PA, 5 hours from home, finishing up my Rt 6 fall tour and my Spyder failed to start two different times...DESS ERROR, Orange Screen, Flashing Key, Code P0513...

I have the latest & Greatest module 710004916...

My vehicle keys and cell phone were in the right saddle bag...

This DESS error happened at two different locations...The first time I had to cycle the key 3 times to get it to clear...The second time I was on the phone with my dealer and had to cycle the key only once to get it to clear...

Back in May of this year I had the same DESS problem and was told to keep my cell phone and other chipped key away from the key area...Everything was working fine from May until yesterday...

I've had three different modules since the Spyder was new and still have the EXACT same problem...

I am leaving to do a Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway/Tn. & Ga. 2000 mile trip sometime in the next two weeks...

I would like to have the peace of mind that this thing will NOT have a DESS ERROR and leave me stranded...

I have been having this same problem for a year and a half...BRP says the 4916 module is the fix all...and the problem is caused by something else...WHAT???

I would be very happy with the DESS turned off since BRP cannot fix this or tell me what is causing this...

larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

No where do I see you mention the replacement of the IGNITION SWITCH!
    Like I've said dozens of times but seems no one wants to believe me, in order to assure a fix both need to be replaced.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Yesterday I was in Erie PA, 5 hours from home, finishing up my Rt 6 fall tour and my Spyder failed to start two different times...DESS ERROR, Orange Screen, Flashing Key, Code P0513...

I have the latest & Greatest module 710004916...

My vehicle keys and cell phone were in the right saddle bag...

This DESS error happened at two different locations...The first time I had to cycle the key 3 times to get it to clear...The second time I was on the phone with my dealer and had to cycle the key only once to get it to clear...

Back in May of this year I had the same DESS problem and was told to keep my cell phone and other chipped key away from the key area...Everything was working fine from May until yesterday...

I've had three different modules since the Spyder was new and still have the EXACT same problem...

I am leaving to do a Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway/Tn. & Ga. 2000 mile trip sometime in the next two weeks...

I would like to have the peace of mind that this thing will NOT have a DESS ERROR and leave me stranded...

I have been having this same problem for a year and a half...BRP says the 4916 module is the fix all...and the problem is caused by something else...WHAT???

I would be very happy with the DESS turned off since BRP cannot fix this or tell me what is causing this...

larryd

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like I've said dozens of times but seems no one wants to believe me, in order to assure a fix both need to be replaced.

AJ

No ignition switch yet...My dealer would love to make my problem go away and they are doing everything they can...But, they do what BRP tells them to do...

I remember reading your post about 3 things that need to be replaced to fix the problem permanently...Can you direct me to this post and I'll forward it to my dealer???

THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both bought new 2014 Spyders in June of 2015. STS & STLimited. My wife's Spyder has 2500 miles on it and mine has 4600 miles on it and BOTH Spyders have started displaying the "DESS Error" screen and won't start. It has happened when the Spyders are together and when we are on separate trips. I've read online about the problem but has BRP identified the problem and the fix? Is BRP paying for the fix? If not, how much does the repair cost? Any Advice? Thanks, Jerry
    FOLLOW UP

Dealer has opened up a case for us with BRP. This information chain is very long. Would someone be kind enough to summarize:

* What are the temporary fixes that work to get our Spyders started?

* What is the permanent fix? The latest person said just the module isn't the fix because their new module had a DESS Error and someone else said there are 3 components to replace - if so what are they?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dealer has opened up a case for us with BRP. This information chain is very long. Would someone be kind enough to summarize:

* What is the permanent fix? The latest person said just the module isn't the fix because their new module had a DESS Error and someone else said there are 3 components to replace - if so what are they?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Many, including myself feel the only permanent fix currently available is to disable the DESS system.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

AJ
    AJ,

I have had the "Dess module & Switch" replaced on Aug. 28th 2015, and it has been 1year & 1 month since I have had both replaced. Also, I have not had the dess error show up.

Also, I have the older dess module part #( 710004190) the current part/up to date# is 710004916.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Many, including myself feel the only permanent fix currently available is to disable the DESS system.
    On Aug. 28th, 2015 I had the dess module,( 710004190) & the switch ( 710004413)replaced, since then I have not had the dess error/or bad key code show up.

Also, I carry my cell phone, and any other electronic devices. It has been 1 year & 1 month with out the dess error/or bad key code show up. I also have posted the above on this site.

Prior to Aug. 28th, 2015 I had the ( on July 14,2015) dess module replaced only. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Jerry, *** Temporary fixes that work : Turn on/off immediately, DO NOT LET YOUR SYSTEM SHUT DOWN for 4 to 5 cycles. ***
    t

The permanent fix is: getting the dess module & switch replaced. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6. The first time I had the ( July 14,2015 ) dess module replaced, the 2nd time was ( on Aug. 28th, 2015) I had the dess module( part # 710004190) & the switch( part # 710004413) replaced, and it has been 1 year & 1 month since I have had the dess error show up. I know the above part #'s are not the current part #'s.

The current/up to date part # is 710004916.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have ask my dealer to ask BRP to turn off my DESS but they won't...I cannot find anyone with the MEGA key other than you, and Texas is tooooo far to travel...

I would like VERY MUCH to have it turned off...If anyone can help with this please get in touch...I'm leaving PA later this week to do Sky Line Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway/TN & visiting a friend in GA...So does anyone know of someone along this route than can turn this off???

larryd

Spyder Garage

SHORT LESSON on HOW DESS WORKS

So why can't BRP figure out where the problem lies?
    Simple, there are three components involved and if any three or a combination of the three fail . . . You get the dreaded DESS error.

This is how all the parts work together in SIMPLE terms or as simple as I can make them.

The DESS sends out a "coded" signal.
    This signal is applied to the ignition switch coil. The coils acts like an antenna and changes the signal to an EMF (electromagnetic field - something ALL coils do).
    Embedded in the key is a passive transponder.
    When energized by the EMF transmitted by coil, it transmits back reply code.
    If the code is correct = all is good; if bad = DESS Error.

If the coil saturates (too much EMF) the transponder becomes overloaded and sends no reply or an unread reply.

So here is why any extra keys near your ignition is bogus reason for a failure. The key must be IN the slot making contact with the coil in order to receive the code and to be energized to send a reply.

The problem therefore or the CAUSE of a DESS error can be a faulty DESS module, faulty coil within the ignition switch, or your keys.

Replacing ONLY the DESS module might work for a while (so do quick fixes) or you could be lucky, but the only sure way (so far) of fixing the problem is replacing the module and the ignition switch.
    When the ignition switch is replaced, you automatically get NEW KEYS! So, the switch replacement takes care of TWO possibilities.

Notice - have you heard of any 2016 failures yet?
    Not to my knowledge. It's still maybe too early, but they did change HOW this entire mess operates for 2016.
    Ever hear of a PRE-2014 having a problem?
    Only 2014 - 2015 use the scheme I covered above.

So BRP knows there is a problem, I am very pro-active and when mine failed I went with photos and a bunch of paper from this website showing that BRP was replacing BOTH the DESS module AND the Ignition Switch! I strongly suggest similar action with your dealers.

AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:00 PM.

2014 RT-S

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SHORT LESSON on HOW DESS WORKS

Simple, there are three components involved and if any three or a combination of the three fail . . . You get the dreaded DESS error.

This is how all the parts work together in SIMPLE terms or as simple as I can make them.

This signal is applied to the ignition switch coil. The coils acts like an antenna and changes the signal to an EMF (electromagnetic field - something ALL coils do).
    If the code is correct = all is good; if bad = DESS Error.

If the coil saturates (too much EMF) the transponder becomes overloaded and sends no reply or an unread reply.

So here is why any extra keys near your ignition is bogus reason for a failure. The key must be IN the slot making contact with the coil in order to receive the code and to be energized to send a reply.

The problem therefore or the CAUSE of a DESS error can be a faulty DESS module, faulty coil within the ignition switch, or your keys.

Replacing ONLY the DESS module might work for a while (so do quick fixes) or you could be lucky, but the only sure way (so far) of fixing the problem is replacing the module and the ignition switch.
    When the ignition switch is replaced, you automatically get NEW KEYS! So, the switch replacement takes care of TWO possibilities.

Not to my knowledge. It's still maybe too early, but they did change HOW this entire mess operates for 2016.

So BRP knows there is a problem, I am very pro-active and when mine failed I went with photos and a bunch of paper from this website showing that BRP was replacing BOTH the DESS module AND the Ignition Switch! I strongly suggest similar action with your dealers.

AJ

My dealer informed me that BRP has said to replace the 4916 module again, new ign. switch & keys...Parts are ordered, and dealer will notify me when they have everything... Hopefully before I leave for my southern trip.... larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    My dealer informed me that BRP has said to replace the 4916 module again, new ign. switch & keys...Parts are ordered and dealer will notify me when they have everything...Hopefully before I leave for my southern trip....larryd
    Larryd, I hope you do get all the parts before your southern trip. Keep us posted! Also, good luck! Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    My 2015 RT Limited.....Good luck

I had that error twice in 3 months on my 2016 F3L. When the error occurred, I took the key off the ignition, waited 30 seconds, and the error went away. Not sure what is the reason either.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    Add to the known problem, I only get the D.E.S.S Error on one of my keys. At least for now anyway.
    I had the same error on both keys.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Simple, there are three components involved and if any three or a combination of the three fail . . . the dreaded DESS error.

This signal is applied to the ignition switch coil. The coils acts like and antenna and changes the signal to an EMF (electromagnetic field)field (something ALL coils do).
    If the code is correct all is good; if bad DESS Error.

If the coil saturates (to much EMF) the transponder becomes overloaded and no reply or an unread reply.

So here is why an xtra keys near your ignition is bogus reason for a failure. The key must be IN the slot making contact with the coil in order to receive the code and to be energized to send a reply.

The problem therefore or the CAUSE of a DESS error can be a faulty DESS module, faulty coil within the ignition switch or your keys.

Replacing ONLY the DESS module might work for a while (so do quick fixes) or you could be lucky, but the only sure way (so far) of fixing the problem is module and ignition switch.
    When the ignition switch is replaced you automatically get NEW KEYS! So the switch replacement takes care of TWO possibilities.

So BRP knows there is a problem, I am very pro-active and when mine failed I went with photos an a bunch of paper from this website showing that BRP was replacing BOTH the DESS module AND the Ignition Switch! I strongly suggest similar action with your dealers.

AJ
    BTW I do have a 2016 F3L and I had the DESS error (key) twice in three months, with 8K miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    I had the same error on both keys.
    .Speaking from experience, once this starts - it doesn't cure itself - it just gets worse. Some here say you need to have a PIC to show your Dealer that it occurred .....BS.... it's in the computer, whether they can find it is another thing ....... You have a PIC, so demand they fix this problem....... OR at some point IT MAY NOT CLEAR ITSELF and you will need to go thru the "tow it to a dealer" nightmare (and HUGE expense). My DESS module is (now) bolted under the right headlight, so changing it is a 5 minute job. Yours will take 2 shop hrs......................Good Luck,...............Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:07 PM.