Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ST panel replacement 5 hours labor dealer says!

I might have missed this in another post, but my friend that owns a 2013 ST is getting his panels replace finally. I told him "oh it should only take about 30 minutes tops" Nope dealer says he has to drop it off becaue its a 5 hour install. WHAT!!!!

Of course its being done under warrenty, but 5 hours, come on. Is this normal?

Spyder Garage

Default Your right....

but if the dealer is confusing the recall on the RT's with a panel change on an ST there may be some confusion...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default wait time

Husband and I did mine in about an hour. Maybe dealer translation = 45 minute job (max), 4 hour waiting around to get to it ...

Spyder Garage

Warranty jobs take longer......more coin for the dealerships

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Friend wanted to do it himself but the Dealer said that they needed to get the old panels back so they could not give him the new panels until they had the old panels. Its sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Probably not BS

I am guessing that the dealer has to return the panels to BRP in order to get paid for the job!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 109spyder View Post
    Warranty jobs take longer......more coin for the dealerships
    Dealers are paid job rate for warranty work. Does not matter how long it takes they are paid the same. So for the dealer faster the better.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But why make it so hard on the owner. The 2013 ST owners have already put up with a lot and now this particular owner has to deal with the inconvenience of dropping the Spyder off, bumming a ride back home and bumming another ride to pick it back up the next day. Its just added frustration to an already bad situation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Friend wanted to do it himself but the Dealer said that they needed to get the old panels back so they could not give him the new panels until they had the old panels. Its sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
    When I was on the phone to BRP Customer Care in Wisconsin. I offered to install the panels myself. The rep flat out said no, it must be done by the dealer. No explanation given and I did not push it.

I made an appointment for a date and time to install the new panels. 2 techs went to work on it as soon as I arrived. They told me it was the second one they had done. I was on my way again in less than an hour.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Mine was only tied up for about an hour, and another 45 minute or so for a Laser Alignment. The dealer has nothing to gain by keeping your friend's Spyder for 5 hours, BRP is only going to pay for the parts and 1 hour of labor. Maybe the dealer is shorthanded in the shop and his mechanics are spread kind of thin. But, that should not be your friend's problem! Good luck!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Covering their butt

Hopefully you were told the book time that BRP says is required & dealer knows can be completed sooner but padded call if you do end up having to wait mor than the hour or so it takes. Getting friendly with dealer shop manager may enlighten details. ( you always tell the boss it will take longer than you know it will so they are happy when done early & you have room to be flexable)
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-14-2015 at 02:19 AM.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drop it off early, let the dealer know your waiting on it, run down and grab some breakfast, come back and I bet it's done.
    The tech will spend more time unpacking the panels and putting the stickers on them than they will actually swapping them out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Drop it off early, let the dealer know your waiting on it, run down and grab some breakfast, come back and I bet it's done.
    The tech will spend more time unpacking the panels and putting the stickers on them than they will actually swapping them out.

Friend tried that. All Dealer kept saying is "5 hour job" "no you cant have the replacement panels and do it your self unless you buy the panels out right" " you can drop it off at 930am and we will call you at the earliest 230pm" you can drop it off in the afternoon and pick it up sometime the next day"

MelloYelloSpyder

My dealer gave me my new air flow panels for my 13 STS and I installed them myself. Took me a bit over an hour to do the job. Why would they need the old panels back?? Mine are still sitting in my garage...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Friend tried that. All Dealer kept saying is "5 hour job" "no you cant have the replacement panels and do it your self unless you buy the panels out right" " you can drop it off at 930am and we will call you at the earliest 230pm" you can drop it off in the afternoon and pick it up sometime the next day"
    Thats pretty douchey. I'd be looking for another dealer. I could care less about them keeping the old panels, just don't keep me waiting for a job that can be done in WAY less than an hour....

Spyder Garage

That sounds like an incompetent dealer that doesn't want you watching over their shoulder when/if they mess something up to me.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Gene; the dealer had a "Brain Fart", and was quoting the time necessary for an RT's heat attenuation work...
    Tupperware off, and Tupperware on!
    (Or are there a couple of holes to drill also?)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, my friend had to cancel his ST air management side panel replacement appointment due to a out of town emergency situation. But while cancelling the apppointment he asked to speak to shop manager. Asked him, "why is replacing the side panels a 5 hour labor job. ST owners on various forums said it took the dealer around 1 hour." Shop manager said " oh no, its a 5 hour job, you just don,t understand, there is measuring and cutting the panels for proper installation"

What BS!!!!!

Spyder Garage

So, my friend had to cancel his ST air management side panel replacement appointment due to a out of town emergency situation. But while cancelling the apppointment he asked to speak to shop manager. Asked him, "why is replacing the side panels a 5 hour labor job. ST owners on various forums said it took the dealer around 1 hour." Shop manager said " oh no, its a 5 hour job, you just don,t understand, there is measuring and cutting the panels for proper installation"

What BS!!!!!

Obviously he is very confused and does not know the difference between an ST & an RT. Your friend needs to find a new dealer.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default dealer confused

The dealer is VERY confused - no cutting, no drilling - straight swap of panels. Fiddly black trim bits to put inside the new panels (before they go on the bike) is the hardest bit and even that is easy-peasy.

MelloYelloSpyder

Everything on the ST panel replacement is a straight swap. You have to move the black fog lamp pieces over which I believe is 6 or 8 clips and then the new black pieces on one of the new panels which is I believe only two or three clips, then everything goes back with screws and push pins. I did this myself and have never taken any panels off this machine other than to check the oil. Only took a bit over an hour for me...
    I could probably do it in under an hour now that I know how to do it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have been following this Post, here is an update. My Freind that owns the 2013 ST had to cancel his appointment for his warrenty pannel replacement. So he was back at the shop today for the mirror falling off again and he went to get that fixed plus reschedule for the side panel replacement. Now the service manager is saying that there is no warranty to have the side panels replaced for the 2013 ST. Does anyone know what recall number or code this is? So he can fight this. They are just looking at him like he is an alien.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not a recall

Dealer #$$%#
    There is no formal recall, no vin nos listed.
    It is a Goodwill Fix Under Warranty - customer just has to ask.
    To solve this (a) go to another dealer! or (b) contact brpcare directly - they will make it happen
    Good luck

Spyder Garage

I just had mine done last week. No Charge.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like your buddy pissed off their dealer....