Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride on

Spyder Garage

Default Ride on

I have heard good and bad about ride on. Do you think it works that good? I have read posts about people having to remove there tires to get that stuff out of them.?

Spyder Garage

I ran it in my tires for over 6 years, and the only problem is, if the spyder sits for a few days, you develop a vibration which goes away after a few miles, until the ride-on is distributed around the tire. I just had all 3 tires replaced, and picked up the spyder yesterday, and it took around 5 miles before all vibration was gone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob2015 View Post
    I have heard good and bad about ride on. Do you think it works that good? I have read posts about people having to remove there tires to get that stuff out of them.?
    I've been using Ride On for many many years, on all my bikes and in all the tires that I have had mounted. It was one of the first things I did when I got my Spyder a couple of months ago. The stuff is great! My bikes ride smoother, and the tires last well beyond the miles that most people expect.

I have NEVER heard of anyone wanting to take Ride On OUT of their tires. I can't even imagine why anyone would.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default Good info

That's good to know. I work in Mexico for 4 weeks and then I'm off for 4 weeks. So the bike just sits for 4 weeks at a time. So i guess when I get beck home and start riding again I will be in for a surprise for a little while. Not sure that I want that.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

if you can find no one that can properly mount and balance your tires then you can use it. I think even short stretches of vibrations are not that great for the rest of your front end components. Many swear by it and don't have any problems I just prefer to have a more permanent solution to my tire balance.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default ride on

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I've been using Ride On for many many years, on all my bikes and in all the tires that I have had mounted. It was one of the first things I did when I got my Spyder a couple of months ago. The stuff is great! My bikes ride smoother, and the tires last well beyond the miles that most people expect.

I have NEVER heard of anyone wanting to take Ride On OUT of their tires. I can't even imagine why anyone would.

Pam
    I seen a post on here several weeks ago where somebody had to get it out of their tires. Not sure if the ride on was the actual problem or not but that was what the post said. I really want to like the stuff.

Spyder Garage

Default Vibrations

Just seems kind of odd that this is an on going problem that is easily fixed by BRP but it isn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if you can find no one that can properly mount and balance your tires then you can use it. I think even short stretches of vibrations are not that great for the rest of your front end components. Many swear by it and don't have any problems I just prefer to have a more permanent solution to my tire balance.....
    The iniitial vibration is very minimal...... barely even perceptible. And it only lasts for about a mile. If that small amount of vibration is enough to damage your front end, you need to get a new motorcycle, and stay off of poorly paved roads.

I would prefer the smoothness and tire longevity of dynamic balancing over those ugly lead weights any day.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Actually, ride-on states that you should have your tires dynamically balanced before installing their product.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-12-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

And the quest goes on

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Actually, ride-on states that you should have your tires dynamically balanced before installing their product.
    I've never seen that statement on their site. Where is it?

I've never had any of my tires balanced when I use Ride On. Never had a tire failure. Conversely, my tires have always performed well and out lasted their projected mileage.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Interesting. ..yet strange that you would put it in a balanced tire and deal with the added vibration whenever there is a change with the material. But then it does work...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Just seems kind of odd that this is an on going problem that is easily fixed by BRP but it isn't.
    How so?

Tire balancing on the new Spyder is performed at the dealer level, if I'm not mistaken.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Interesting. ..yet strange that you would put it in a balanced tire and deal with the added vibration whenever there is a change with the material. But then it does work...
    Dynamic balancing always works better than static balancing. It's been proven in the trucking industry, and by thousands of motorcyclists who use it. It doesn't matter if you install a Centramatic wheel balancer (which they don't make for the Spyder yet ), DynaBeads, or Ride On. Even on a wheel that has already been balanced and has weights attached, dynamic balancing works in partnership with the static balancing.

What people don't take into consideration is that the world is not a spin balance machine. We are riding on all different types of surfaces, varying wind condtions, temperature changes, inclines, declines, etc. Dynamic balancing steps up and compensates for all the varying conditions.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I can tell you that I have experience with and without dynamic balancing, and attest that it does make a HUGE positive difference.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't one of the big things that Ride On advertises is sealing the tire in the event you run over something? I believe that is called Ride On Sealant. I had Ride On in my tires, including my trailer and I hit a nail and my trailer tire went flat anyway. I don't use it anymore.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Isn't one of the big things that Ride On advertises is sealing the tire in the event you run over something? I believe that is called Ride On Sealant. I had Ride On in my tires, including my trailer and I hit a nail and my trailer tire went flat anyway. I don't use it anymore.
    Ride On is for dynamic balancing, same as DynaBeads. Ride On has the added benefit of "Temporary" puncture sealant. I choose Ride On over DynaBeads for that reason, but I don't swear by the puncture resistance as I have never had to rely on it.

There are videos on the Ride On site showing how the puncture resistance works, but again, that is not the selling point for me. The smooth ride and tire longevity is.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I've never seen that statement on their site. Where is it?

I've never had any of my tires balanced when I use Ride On. Never had a tire failure. Conversely, my tires have always performed well and out lasted their projected mileage.

Pam

Here it is:

http://www.ride-onshop.com/auto_form...stallation.pdf

I specifically looked for that because other members said you don't need to spin balance tires, if using ride-on.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-12-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here it is:

I specifically looked for that because other members said you don't need to spin balance tires, if using ride-on.
    If I'm reading this correctly, it says to spin the tires to inspect for structural defects, but does not say to add weights. Am I missing something?

Like I said, I have installed Ride On in several new tires and have not had them balanced or had weights put on. I've even had tire guys happily agree not to put lead weights on the rims and even installed the Ride On while mounting the tire on the rim. My tires have always performed quite well this way. I personally don't know anyone who intentionally has weights put on their rims if they're planning to go with dynamic balancing. This includes those who use DynaBeads.

It doesn't hurt to have the static balancing in conjunction with dynamic balancing, but IMO it is not necessary.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here it is:

They recommend the spin balance not for the balancing aspect but to look for out of roundness and other structural problems. If you have a significantly out-of-round tire Ride On won't fix it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I seen a post on here several weeks ago where somebody had to get it out of their tires. Not sure if the ride on was the actual problem or not but that was what the post said. I really want to like the stuff.
    Talk to a local tire shop guy. When I had my Michelin installed on the rear rim by the local shop they couldn't balance the tire so they installed Liquid Balance. He said they use it in large pickup and truck tires a lot. How different it is from Ride On I don't know, but if the tire shop uses it it must not be cause any headaches when they work on a tire that has it in it.

I've never felt any imbalance in the rear tire with it in there. I wasn't crazy about using it, but it seems to be working quite well.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Pam, are you using the motorcycle or the car type? Or is there any difference in the two different types?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Pam, are you using the motorcycle or the car type? Or is there any difference in the two different types?
    Thanks
    I have always used the motorcycle formula in my bikes, and when I ordered for the Spyder I instinctively ordered the same. After I installed it (and it works fine), it was brought to my attention by BajaRon that Ride On has one specifically for the Spyder.

So, whenever I get new tires, I will get the Spyder formula. Not sure what the difference is, or if there is any. Like I said, the motorcycle formula is working just fine.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    They recommend the spin balance not for the balancing aspect but to look for out of roundness and other structural problems. If you have a significantly out-of-round tire Ride On won't fix it.
    My misreading cost me a little extra $ for the spin balance on all 3 tires.

Spyder Garage

Default It is..??

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Think your right but being adverse to having anything movable inside my tires I feel the same...may never happen but don't want to be driving high speed and have my fronts start doing their own thing...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just put Ride-on in my 2013 RSS this morning. I've had the Spyder in the shop twice in the last month trying to correct a bad vibration in the 60-65 mph range. So severe I could not read the small text on my instruments. After two wheel balances, a belt tension adjustment and a complete front end inspection, the vibration was almost gone, but not completely. I installed the auto formula and now the vibration is completely gone, except a very small twitch at 63 mph. All other speeds are silky smooth. The instructions do say to balance the wheels prior to installation, but I'm not sure what the motorcycle formula says. The only problem I had was trying to determine how much I had squeezed in because it sticks to the inside of the bottle obscuring the sight gauge.