Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Seat replacement

I just purchased a 2012 RT after taking a break from riding for 30 years. Military overseas got in the way of my plans. The RT is everything I was looking for and will probably trade it next year for a new model. Give me some ideas for a more comfortable seat for touring along with passenger comfort items.Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seats

I had them put an ultimate seat on my 2014 RT-S at Spyderfest last May. Much more comfortable than the OEM or the BRP comfort seat. The only bad part is they are (what I consider!) expensive. Also added a large mug holder and mug. A standard waterbottle fits into the mug. I also added an F4 windscreen with a vent.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lots of options and choices...If you are over 250lbs the Russell Day Long seat really comes into play. Each seat is custom built for your weight and body dimensions. Happy with ours.

Spyder Garage

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Your *ss(es) will tell you which one is best -- for you.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This might be the only time, that it pays to listen to a real ass!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No saddle shops....

there is nowhere to test them out for a couple of hours. Some manufacturers do have a return policy but the only way is to find those that have them and will let you sit on them. I have the comfort and love it but don't know if it is the best for me or you and your passenger...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the Ultimate and hope i like it.It has the 14 day retun policy i think.The brp comfort seat from what i understand puts you back 2 in.Since my wife rides our bike thats no good.Wish Mustang had a seat for the RT.I had one on my vtx 1300 and it was great.Hope you find the right one for you.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Really like my corbin seat. Both passenger and rider's seats are heated. It took about 1500 miles to break it in.

Spyder Garage

If you are going to buy new--the BRP comfort seat is an improvement over the mushy OEM seat. Cost about $649

Many other aftermarket seats. I have had experience with Corbin. People either like them or not. They are very firm and have a gas door installed so that you do not need to raise the seat to fill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have had the ultimate seat on my 2012 RTS for about 5000 miles. Great investment worth every penny. Passenger comfort has also improved I had ultimate include the armrests for the passenger as well

Spyder Garage

Default Seat input

Thanks for all the good input. Is the ultimate seat sold by Can Am?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have been checking out ultimate seats and can't find anywhere if they are heated or not. That would be my determining factor: Why buy a seat that is not heated when that seat is $1,000? This is going to be my all year transport so to me, yes, heated is a must. Maybe I am missing something... but if they are heated I would probably go with the ultimate just based on all the positive reviews.
    Last edited by Midian; 08-12-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default RT seat

Am 6'4" -- 2012 RT-S SM5 -- stock seat caused pain in rear after about 25 minutes riding -- got the Ultimate Tallboy(2" further back) with driver back rest -- drove 3 hrs and had forgotten about rear pain till wife asked how ride went -- love this seat ,wife has fallen asleep 3 times as passenger since then -- told her I would have to Velcro her in!!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can find Ultimate seats at http://www.ultimateseats.ca/

They are not available in a heated version, but the fuel door option is worth every penny.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am really torn. Just by reviews, the ultimate seat is the way to go. But non-heated with a $1,000 price tag? I am an all year rider so we're talking out there when it's in the 30s. Anyone ride in cold weather without a heated seat? How is it on an RT? I used to ride choppers in the dead cold but I am a pussy now.
    Last edited by Midian; 08-12-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecobbler View Post
    I just purchased a 2012 RT after taking a break from riding for 30 years. Military overseas got in the way of my plans. The RT is everything I was looking for and will probably trade it next year for a new model. Give me some ideas for a more comfortable seat for touring along with passenger comfort items.Thanks!
    Look on the Home page on this website for our sponsors.You will see motorcycledave.com Go there and order his gel pad/memory foam insert. I think it is $70.00 more or less. It works. You can put it in yourself though you will need an air staple gun. I did it and it took me about 3 hours and I had never done anything like this before. I really like it. Took a 2 hour saddle to an all day saddle. If you are dong it yourself and have any questions call Dave and he will help you,or pm me and I will help you.

1st hint if you do this yourself be sure to stuff a rag in the slot below the rear seat hinge or you will lose a bolt nut or something else down there forever. Don't ask how I know

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Just saw your post about a heated seat. Dave has the stuff to do your seat also,but I just added a heated jacket and gloves along with the heated grips that come with the RT

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I put a Ultimate on my 2011 RT and just put one on by 2012 Goldwing. Unless you have a tiny butt go for the King seat on the RT.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Both me and the Missus have AirHawk R seat cushions on our RT stock seat and they are amazing. Took it from a max 2 hr ride to an all day ride. They aint cheap, but are definitely cheaper than a new seat.

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx

Steve

Spyder Garage

Default You just have to try them...

Everyone is built differently, and as I commented before in other threads, your body posture, muscularity, structural makeup, etc all come into play. I would try the cheapest option first... Airhawk R, then the gel pads under the OEM seat, then the replacement (Ultimate/Corbin) seats. I'm stuck with my airhawk, and don't find the extreme comfort as some individuals find. Maybe it's too soft and I need something stiffer (that's what she said), or maybe my body just isn't built for long rides. I know my bladder isn't built for long rides, lol. Anyway, good luck with your quest and if you do buy an expensive seat replacement be sure there is a return policy and trade it out when you go to sell the spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecobbler View Post
    I have a BRP Comfort Seat for sale if you are interested. It's similar to the stock seat, but gives the rider 2" more leg room. I sold my Spyder to my father in law and he wanted the stock seat. No visible wear.

Spyder Garage

I'll make it easy for you. Buy the Ultimate Seat. Ride for two weeks. If you don't like it and haven't damaged it, they'll take it back. How could you go wrong. I bought one and it is now a total pleasure to ride. It is FANTASTIC!!!

Spyder Garage

Although temperatures under 35 are rare in Vegas, I have ridden the last 50 years in New England, the Mid West, Europe, and now South west without a heated seat.
    Never been a problem.
    BTW Most of those years I was riding a Harley and back in the day there was no such thing
    The ultimate is a good seat, to soft and not firm enough for me, so I have a Corbin.
    Corbin does make an electric, but I pasted.

Good Luck in Your Search

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    I am really torn. Just by reviews, the ultimate seat is the way to go. But non-heated with a $1,000 price tag? I am an all year rider so we're talking out there when it's in the 30s. Anyone ride in cold weather without a heated seat? How is it on an RT? I used to ride choppers in the dead cold but I am a pussy now.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Going to edit out the last minute about floorboards?

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black