Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RSS-SE5 not going to 1st gear or Reverse

At times, My Spyder will not shift to 1st gear or reverse. I have to turn off the Spyder and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then start it back up and it shifts perfect for another 2-3 weeks. Those are the times I regret not getting a SM5.

Just curious if anyone found the actual cause and/or solution for this issue?

Side note:

-Oil is at good level. Right under Max.
    -No fault codes when issue occur
    -I always start and stop the bike in Neutral.

Spyder Garage

Check the shift lever and make sure it is not loose. Should not be able to slide on the spline shaft.
    Item 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyda98 View Post
    At times, My Spyder will not shift to 1st gear or reverse. I have to turn off the Spyder and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then start it back up and it shifts perfect for another 2-3 weeks. Those are the times I regret not getting a SM5.

Just curious if anyone found the actual cause and/or solution for this issue?

Side note:

-Oil is at good level. Right under Max.
    -No fault codes when issue occur
    -I always start and stop the bike in Neutral.

By chance do you have HID headlights?

Spyder Garage

And ask your dealer to check the GBPS (Gear Box Position Sensor).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Check the shift lever and make sure it is not loose. Should not be able to slide on the spline shaft.
    Item 3
    billybovine,

I will check as soon as I get home and report back. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    By chance do you have HID headlights?
    Tazzel,

Yes, I have the BRP Factory HIDs.

Spyder Garage

I rode home yesterday evening with no issues.

But this morning on my way to work again... I received a check transmission fault code and the engine light came on. I did the procedure to check the error code but it there was no numbers just a "check transmission'.

When I downshifted to 1st or Neutral it went away but when I shifted to 2nd, 3rd or reverse the light came back on.

At this point I am unsure if this issue is tied to the original post I made but I will check billybovine's suggestion and perform a detail inspection.
    Last edited by Spyda98; 08-11-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode home yesterday evening with no issues.

But this morning on my way to work again... I received a check transmission fault code and the engine light came on. I did the procedure to check the error code but it there was no numbers just a "check transmission'.

When I downshifted to 1st or Neutral it went away but when I shifted to 2nd, 3rd or reverse the light came back on.

At this point I am unsure if this issue is tied to the original post I made but I will check billybovine's suggestion and perform a detail inspection.

I ask about the HID's because when I installed my HID's on my 2012 RS SE5 it would cause intermittent errors as you described at first. At start up, not shifting into first or reverse and once I had a "check trans" This would happen about every 10 to 20 start ups and I would just shut the spyder down for 30 seconds and start it up again and it would clear. This only happened at start up, never during a ride. The HID's were not BRP so although having HID's are known to cause these types of errors the BRP HID's come with the correct wiring harness to avoid these issues. However, I still think your issue might be computer or electrical related.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 08-11-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

but if things are tight oil is good then you may have a faulty GPS (gear positioning sensor) or faulty paddle shifter...hope it's just something loose...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I ask about the HID's because when I installed my HID's on my 2012 RS SE5 it would cause intermittent errors as you described at first. At start up, not shifting into first or reverse and once I had a "check trans" This would happen about every 10 to 20 start ups and I would just shut the spyder down for 30 seconds and start it up again and it would clear. This only happened at start up, never during a ride. The HID's were not BRP so although having HID's are known to cause these types of errors the BRP HID's come with the correct wiring harness to avoid these issues. However, I still think your issue might be computer or electrical related.
    I have the same problem with mine. I put a cheap set of HID's in and every 10 starts or so, I have the no shift problem. I have to turn the key off and wait for 20 seconds. It always works properly after that. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of current that the aftermarket headlamps draw. I think it pulls the voltage down too much and confuses the computer every once in a while. If I hit the "flash" button and pre-warm my HID's, I don't have the problem. But I usually forget.

Spyder Garage

Tazzel,

Did you remove the HIDs or figure out a solution/workaround?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outkazt RS-S View Post
    I have the same problem with mine. I put a cheap set of HID's in and every 10 starts or so, I have the no shift problem. I have to turn the key off and wait for 20 seconds. It always works properly after that. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of current that the aftermarket headlamps draw. I think it pulls the voltage down too much and confuses the computer every once in a while. If I hit the "flash" button and pre-warm my HID's, I don't have the problem. But I usually forget.

Outkazt RS-S,

I will definitely try that workaround.. I was wondering if my Spyder was the only one with this issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tazzel,

Did you remove the HIDs or figure out a solution/workaround?
    No, I just dealt with it no big deal. The Spyder always ran beautifully. There is no fix really except to remove them. I would rather have the HID's and put up with the it. It really made a difference at night. You have the BRP install so you should not have this problem, so it maybe something else.