Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Hand Brake for F3s

Hello everyone I ordered my F3s in Febuary I traded in my 2013 St limited on April 29th my st had the ISCI handbrake which is a must have for me due to being a Para (paralyzed from the waist down)I have been contacting ISCI
    and inquiring about the handbrake at least monthly, the latest is not until
    September. any one else WAITING?

Ric

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and welcome to all things Spyder. Hope you don't have to wait that long to get back in the wind.

How about a picture of your pride an joy!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

have seen inquiries about them but have not heard anything till now...from you. Welcome to the F3 1330 club. Not a member myself cause I love the RS with the twin. Because of the movable foot pegs they must be having delays in getting a model ready for you. Sorry but hope they do come through on or before...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjs View Post
    Hello everyone I ordered my F3s in Febuary I traded in my 2013 St limited on April 29th my st had the ISCI handbrake which is a must have for me due to being a Para (paralyzed from the waist down)I have been contacting ISCI

Ric
    Talked to Motorcycle Dave (Sponser on this web site) who is an ISCI dealer who found out that they are supposed to be out by the 17th of this month for the F3.

I also have been waiting quite a while.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Mike

I noticed on your eariler post that you had modified your brake to a left foot brake are you still planning on installing the hand brake ? Jeff at ISCI is the one that gave me the info on the date I sure hope you are right, our organization has a ride on August 29 we are riding to support the Minnesota Paralyzed Veterans of America I have been a member for many years
    Thank You Again For Your Post

Ric

Spyder Garage

I noticed on your eariler post that you had modified your brake to a left foot brake are you still planning on installing the hand brake ? Jeff at ISCI is the one that gave me the info on the date I sure hope you are right, our organization has a ride on August 29 we are riding to support the Minnesota Paralyzed Veterans of America I have been a member for many years

Ric
    I am planning to install the hand brake when it becomes available. If the hardware we installed to move the foot brake over to the left side does not interfere I would like to have both but if it is an either or choice I will go with the hand brake. I found the same issue with my RS when lifting my foot to use the brake when cornering hard there is a change in the handling dynamics that I don't like and is why I changed the RS over to the hand brake after first moving that brake over from the right side. I really like to be able to tap the hand brake in corners if needed.

Dave has been most helpful in as much as I ended up in a pretty heated discussion with Jeff regarding advertising "coming soon" when they had no idea when it would be ready or even if it ever would be. I bought my F3 in March after talking with them and expecting it to be out within about a month. Then was told 3 weeks, then a couple of weeks etc... Finally got fed up and decided to try and move it and at least I can get out and ride.

What I understand at this point is that the brake system is ready and should be out by about the 17th.

If I have one complaint with all spyders it is the lack of a hand brake.
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 08-10-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add information

Spyder Garage

Would like to know more about the left foot brake, as it is my right leg that locks up. I have had to down shift and use the parking brake one time my leg did not work. Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrt View Post
    Would like to know more about the left foot brake, as it is my right leg that locks up. I have had to down shift and use the parking brake one time my leg did not work. Jim
    A friend and I did a one off move of the foot brake from the right side to the left side. Unless you are very handy and have a full shop like my friend has I would recomend talking with a business that does adaptive devises for cars and vans. My friend was supposed to ride my F3 to a shop here in Boise but after looking it over said he thought we could come up with something and we did.

When I ordered the kit to move the foot pegs it came with an additional rod that we used as well as the manual shift lever that I now use as the foot brake lever. Jim heated the end of one of the rods and bent it into the shape that when force is applied the rod rotates and actuates the brake lever on the right side. We still had a bit of an issue with the release but added a return spring and it works great. One other problem that we ran into was that the rod that crossed over was too close to the belt so when I hit a good sized bump or had my wife on back the rod rubbed against the belt. We solved this by welding an upside down U over the area where the belt rides and then cut the rod so the belt clears.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 08-10-2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added information

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Ric
    Ric, thank you for your Service!

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I talked to Jason at ISCI and was told they are real close to completing a kit for the F3.
    Jason said call them back next wednesday 9/23/15 for an update. Finally sounds like good news for you guys that been waiting. I may trade up to the F3 in the spring.

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Mudcruiser thanks for the update. I wonder what kind of trade my dealer will give me on a 2016 F3s my 2015 is still at the dealership unassembled.I will certainly be watching the BRP anouncement on Friday
    for updates on the F3s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mudcruiserman View Post
    I talked to Jason at ISCI and was told they are real close to completing a kit for the F3.
    Jason said call them back next wednesday 9/23/15 for an update. Finally sounds like good news for you guys that been waiting. I may trade up to the F3 in the spring.
    Don't mean to burst anyones bubble but this is the same sort of thing (we are real close - Call back in two weeks etc...) I have heard from them starting in Febuary when I first called them then............... March, April, May, June, July, August, and twice for September. Put me in the group that I will believe it IF I ever see it.

At this point I am so used to the left foot brake conversion that my friend from J & M floor boards did for me I just may pass on the hand brake if they ever come out with on for the F3

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Mike, I agree with you (I will believe it if I ever see it) I wonder how many of us folks are waiting for the \\\F3s HANDBRAKE from ISCI ??? and have they given anyone a price yet?

Ric

Spyder Garage

Mike, I agree with you (I will believe it if I ever see it) I wonder how many of us folks are waiting for the \\\F3s HANDBRAKE from ISCI ??? and have they given anyone a price yet?

Ric
    My guess is if they ever do come up with one it will be around 1500.00.

I got in an arguement with the sales manager over their web site that to this day says "Coming soon ISCI hand brake for the F3". I first saw this back in Feb so I called them and was told it would be available within six to eight weeks. Since then I was given a series of excuses and told to call back in two weeks, three weeks etc...then they started back with the original excuses again. Anyway in June when I called them I said that they were doing a diservice to their loyal customers with that web add considering that by June they were no closer then they were in Feb and should take the web add down till they were actually close. At this point I would bet that they are no closer now then the day they started.

I hope I am wrong as their are folks that really need the hand brake and I would just add shame on BRP for not having it available.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I am an ISCI dealer here in the west and.....

I have been in close contact with the designers,builders of this
    and they feel it will not be available to the public until the end of Sept.
    I have several on order right now.
    From some the above info posted, it looks like some are not quite aware of just what
    goes into the mfg. of a device to make a vehicle STOP. There are a zillion federal and state
    inspections before you can put it out for sale they have made several upgrades to the prototype
    to get a good SAFE working system.... Remember good things come to those who wait.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 09-17-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    From some the above info posted, it looks like some are not quite aware of just what
    goes into the mfg. of a device to make a vehicle STOP. There are a zillion federal and state
    inspections before you can put it out for sale they have made several upgrades to the prototype
    to get a good SAFE working system.... Remember good things come to those who wait.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    I have a SE6-S. I have some medical problems with my feet and legs. Using a combination pegs and footboards setup that I am using now has lowered the brake pedal, I would prefer to not deal with a foot brake at all. Brake on the left side of the handlebars would be ideal (left hand to operate the brake, right hand to operate the throttle).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    My issue is not that it is taking time to get it right and sell a safe product. I want a good safe brake and I do understand what goes into making a safe dependable product. I do have a problem with their marketing dept advertising something as "coming soon" and continuing to advertise when they have no idea when or even if it is going to be available eight months later. They have cycled through the list of excuses three times that I have counted so far. Clear back in July I was told that the kit had been approved and it would be 2 weeks. Then they said that the hand brake lever wasn't quite what they felt was needed for the second time and last was the reservoir wasn't big enough again for the second time. The very first time I called ISCI in Feb they said they had the prototype on the F3, it worked well and would be available in 4 to 6 weeks then excuse after excuse and when they ran out of them they started all over again.

Turns out that I am not the only person to purchase an F3 based on their web site and discussions with them only to be strung along with no end in sight. I bought my F3 in early March and came to the conclusion the first part of June that they were simply blowing hot air so I made arrangements for an alternative and am glad I did. Had I continued to listen to thim my F3 would still be sitting in the crate paid for with the riding season nearly over and still no brake.

I guess the proof will be come the end of Sept.......I just wonder what the excuse will be this time.
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 09-17-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Spyder Garage

I was hot for one because of 40+ years of muscle memory. After logging a few hundred miles I have yet to reach for the phantom brake lever. That said it still might be something I would be interested in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand brake

Ric
    I am also waiting on the ISCI handbrake. I am buying my F3S today. I am also in need of a wheelchair holder/lift. PLEASE, any and all info would be great. I am not having much luck finding anything on the holder. ISCI sounds like they will have my Brake problem fixed in a few weeks so I am good with waiting. Please help with the wheelchair lift/holder if anyone has a link.

Eddy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Hutchens View Post
    I am also waiting on the ISCI handbrake. I am buying my F3S today. I am also in need of a wheelchair holder/lift. PLEASE, any and all info would be great. I am not having much luck finding anything on the holder. ISCI sounds like they will have my Brake problem fixed in a few weeks so I am good with waiting. Please help with the wheelchair lift/holder if anyone has a link.

Eddy

As far as the brake goes I would recomend waiting to purchase your F3 until the brake system is actually available or have a back up plan available. There are a number of us that have been waiting a long time after being told "a few weeks". I am lucky in that I can use the foot brake after moving it to the left side. I know of at least one other individual who has to have the hand brake, purchased his F3 thinking the brake would "soon" be available and is still waiting.

Check out the enabled spyder riders section of this fourm. There was an individual who mounted his wheel chair to his F3 and posted pictures.

Spyder Garage

Ok ISCI just called me and they are scheduling brake kits for the F3 to be sent out on Tues or Wed................... and yes I did order a kit.

Don't know if I am supposed to discuss price on the fourm but you can PM me and ask.

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Handbrake for the F3

I just ordered the ISCI Handbrake directly from ISCI. They have a 20% off sale on right now. Now may be a good time to buy.
    I had their brake on my 2010 RT and I simply cannot get used to driving without one. They say the installation is easier on the
    F3 than on the RT.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I just ordered the ISCI Handbrake directly from ISCI. They have a 20% off sale on right now. Now may be a good time to buy.
    I had their brake on my 2010 RT and I simply cannot get used to driving without one. They say the installation is easier on the
    F3 than on the RT.
    Yes it is easier to install overall. That said if you have floor boards you may want to consider mounting the brake hardware on the stock right side foot peg mount. The floor board mount is different and in my case put the handbrake hardware to close to the engine case. Another issue that I ran into was with bleeding the brakes. It was a real pain to get the process started and you need to bleed both the top resevoir as well as the line to the slave cylinder.

If you run into any problems let me know and I will try and help.

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations

Ric
    Congratulations on your new Spyder from the UK.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    F3 than on the RT.
    So whats that shake out to? $1200?