Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Discount Tire...grrr

I learned the hard way, like many others I suppose....they won't sell me a 225/50/15 tire if I list my Spyder as the vehicle it's going on. Can someone give me an example of a vehicle that this size tire goes on, so I can buy one? Good grief!!

Thanks
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Discount Tire Direct is on EBay and you don't have to provide vehicle info to purchase......

Jim

Spyder Garage

Default CALL CALL CALL

CALL:
    Chris Han

KUMHO TIRE U.S.A. INC.
    Asst. Product Planning Manager
    Office: 909-428-3395

Email:chan@kumhotireusa.com

and ask him about the KUMHO relationship with DISCOUNT TIRE...

Spyder Garage

I just went on the Discount Tire website and selected that tire size, put it in my cart, and was one click away from buying it no questions asked. You have the option of selecting a tire by size and ordering it without vehicle information. That's how I ordered my YOKO S Drive from Tire rack. I could be wrong but I see no difference with Discount Tire.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2004 Toyota Tacoma: the Base 2wd model.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Buy from them on EBay

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    I learned the hard way, like many others I suppose....they won't sell me a 225/50/15 tire if I list my Spyder as the vehicle it's going on. Can someone give me an example of a vehicle that this size tire goes on, so I can buy one? Good grief!!

Thanks
    No ? Asked. No tax no ship.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

VW Dune Buggy. Any size you want.

Spyder Garage

Been using Discount for years on Spyder stuff. They'll shy away from any tire that says "motorcycle" on the side. Otherwise they've never cared what I was doing with them. Bought my Bridgestone Potenza's for the fronts and they had no issue mounting and balancing them. Their machine couldn't handle the rear so I've had to do those elsewhere or myself.

I wouldn't touch the Kumho tires anyway.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimsturges View Post
    Discount Tire Direct is on EBay and you don't have to provide vehicle info to purchase......

Jim
    In my experience NoT SO. They called me 2 days after placing my order and asking for my fitment.
    "to ensure they are suitable and safe" what a crock...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks
    I'm puzzled why you even tried with as much as this has been discussed here, or did you not see all the threads about DT's change of policy?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Experimental of my own making!

AJ

Thanks

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I'm puzzled why you even tried with as much as this has been discussed here, or did you not see all the threads about DT's change of policy?
    Their policy should come as no surprise to anyone who's ever asked a question in here about tires...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

of all the tires out there being used...why is this the only one they refuse to sell to ya'll.. if you tell them your using the yokohama tires on your spyder they don't care. So who told them no..?? Brp, kumho, Discount Tires...just wondering they are not that great...did kumho or discount tires or both get sued..?? ...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is interesting, it would be good to know why? I have a feeling for me it is going to be even harder, because we don't have all brands here, and I would be worried about "some dude" putting a tire on my rear without knowing what he is doing "even if he says he knows" but I will have to deal with that when the time comes...

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    of all the tires out there being used...why is this the only one they refuse to sell to ya'll.. if you tell them your using the yokohama tires on your spyder they don't care. So who told them no..?? Brp, kumho, Discount Tires...just wondering they are not that great...did kumho or discount tires or both get sued..?? ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    This is interesting, it would be good to know why? I have a feeling for me it is going to be even harder, because we don't have all brands here, and I would be worried about "some dude" putting a tire on my rear without knowing what he is doing "even if he says he knows" but I will have to deal with that when the time comes...
    If like Peru, you may have a better selection what with the european models running about. Size is the issue to keep speedometer accurate and very few rotational tries out there (non motorcycle). The good thing is they will never question your motives...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The Kumho sucks as a tire anyway so I don't know why anyone would ask for one.
    As far as 'some dude' installing them.... It's really not a big deal. I've put rears on by hand before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone had an issue with using a non stock tire and it failed causing damage to the bike or caused an accident and your insurance refused to pay or BRP refused to repair under warranty since it was not a stock tire?

Thanks,
    Steve

Sent from my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have never heard a report of a non-OEM tire being used as an excuse by an insurance company to NOT pay a claim...
    Claims adjusters NEVER take the time to look at a tire's brand or markings..
    A non-issue!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SOME DUDE - - -HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    Laura, any place that does car or pk-up trk tires ( with the usual hydraulic machine ) can mount tires on the Spyder rims....They can even high speed spin balance the front and Bubble balance the rear........BUT you must A. bring the wheels in and ...B. take the HUB off the rear Wheel / Rim........................Good Luck......Mike

Spyder Garage

1999 BMW 325I This kind of size is very popular on old BMW.

Spyder Garage

Default Automobile Tire Sizes That fit on the Rear

OK I am probably gonna get yelled at by some of the old school kats for asking something that has already been asked but I am looking for an alternative rear tire to the OEM model. I have been researching 250/60/16, 225/50/15, Kuhmo ECT AST's, Faulken ZE912, etc... I am about on information overload at this point. I need .

I have only had my 2009 Spyder GS SE5 for a month or so. I live in Columbus, Ohio and I am sure that I will get caught in the rain since it seems to rain here all summer and I just want a dependable tire to do me good if I get stuck in the elements. If I could get some good examples of a good all season tire that will fit my bike I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Nick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

225/50-15 is the OEM size.
    I have the Kumho on my 2014 RT right now, and tried the Falken ZE 912 on my 2010 RT
    ( I loved getting to say that I had to go check the air pressure in my "Falken" tire... )
    The Falken DID get a bit squirrelly on damp roads as the tread wore down; enough so, that I probably wouldn't try them again. Up to that point; they were really good!
    The Kumho doesn't yet have enough miles on it to prove anything...
    Try the Search Feature, and type in rear tires... That'll keep you busy for about a Month!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nrg_pop View Post
    OK I am probably gonna get yelled at by some of the old school kats for asking something that has already been asked but I am looking for an alternative rear tire to the OEM model. I have been researching 250/60/16, 225/50/15, Kuhmo ECT AST's, Faulken ZE912, etc... I am about on information overload at this point. I need .

I have only had my 2009 Spyder GS SE5 for a month or so. I live in Columbus, Ohio and I am sure that I will get caught in the rain since it seems to rain here all summer and I just want a dependable tire to do me good if I get stuck in the elements. If I could get some good examples of a good all season tire that will fit my bike I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Nick
    I have a 215-60/R15 Michelin HydroEdge. Lot of tire choice in that size.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    I have a 215-60/R15 Michelin HydroEdge. Lot of tire choice in that size.
    So do I. Contrary to other comments I am not overwhelmed with it on wet roads. Seems to hydroplane pretty readily. Running @ 26 psi.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)