Spyder Garage

Default New Tires to Mount - Is Walmart Automotive qualified - anyone use them?

Hi all,

I am planning on installing new tires on my 2014 RT Limited – it has just over 21,000 miles and will be the first change for the fronts and the 2nd for the rear.

I see that Walmart has both brands of tires needed. Their location is very close to me and would like to have them mount the tires.

Have any of you used Walmart Automotive to mount your tires – I am a little concerned about them, but don’t know what to base that on. I would prefer a “real” tire dealer to mount them. However, I am open to comments from you on your opinion on IF you had Walmart do it or to stay away from Walmart doing it!

This is NOT a tire post (again). I’ve decided my combo I will utilize is:
    Rear: General Altimax RT43 215/60-15
    Fronts: Kumho Solus KH16 155/60-15

Thanks, in advance, for your helpful input!

UPDATE:
    I placed my order for the tires from Walmart! They'll be here in a day or two. I talked with the "tire tech" and he stated they have a lot of "new" people working there. The first person I talked to I could not understand and then got to talk to the tech. He was very helpful and got my tire order placed accurately and quickly. I then asked him if they protect the chrome rims when mounting the tires - he said it's a 50/50 chance they may scratch them....................so, I am deciding to take them somewhere else (tbd) to be mounted
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-06-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

They should be able to do it the fronts easy the back maybe not , they have the stick on weights but they might not figer out why our car had motorcycle tires .Tell them they are from a 3 wheel smart car.
    Good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Hi all,

I am planning on installing new tires on my 2014 RT Limited – it has just over 21,000 miles and will be the first change for the fronts and the 2nd for the rear.

I see that Walmart has both brands of tires needed. Their location is very close to me and would like to have them mount the tires.

Have any of you used Walmart Automotive to mount your tires – I am a little concerned about them, but don’t know what to base that on. I would prefer a “real” tire dealer to mount them. However, I am open to comments from you on your opinion on IF you had Walmart do it or to stay away from Walmart doing it!

I had my general altimax mounted front and rear at Walmart. Front were balanced there also. Used balance beads in rear.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MOUNTING TIRES.........ANY SPYDER TIRES

The only way you are going to get tires mounted are if you remove the wheels and bring them in to who-ever is going to do it. The dealer can do it on the Spyder ....No one else is going to know how.......Any tire shop has the equipement to do the front and the rear wheels of our Spyders........I know because I've had it done.......for there rear you must re-move the HUB......they can also high speed spin balance the fronts ( ONLY ).....not the rear.........Hope this helps........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, I plan to just bring in the worn tires on the rims.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The only way you are going to get tires mounted are if you remove the wheels and bring them in to who-ever is going to do it. The dealer can do it on the Spyder ....No one else is going to know how.......Any tire shop has the equipement to do the front and the rear wheels of our Spyders........I know because I've had it done.......for there rear you must re-move the HUB......they can also high speed spin balance the fronts ( ONLY ).....not the rear.........Hope this helps........Mike
    YES, Mike, thanks. I do plan on removing all tires/rims to take them in. Also removing the hub on the rear.....sorry, should have stated that in my original post - thanks for making it clearer for people who respond!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Hi all,

I took a set to sams club for balancing & were still not balanced. One thing I did find out tho is make sure the weights are right along the line close to cent of the rim on the front tires. if not it will feel like you are running over a crack in the road every time the wheel goes around.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    I had my general altimax mounted front and rear at Walmart. Front were balanced there also. Used balance beads in rear.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    Why would you use dynamic balancing on the rear, and rely on those lead weights in the front where dynamic balancing can do the most good? This makes no sense to me

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Uh No

...but then I wouldn't go to Wal-Mart for anything....too many Wal-Martians!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I took my fronts off and took them to Walmart and they installed and balanced with new tires. That was several thousand miles ago. No problems.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Walmart mounted my last set of fronts, Kumho Solus, a yr and half ago down in Tucson. After they mounted them, they told me they could not balance them. So went across the street and had Big O spin balance them.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Why would you use dynamic balancing on the rear, and rely on those lead weights in the front where dynamic balancing can do the most good? This makes no sense to me

Pam
    FYI, finding someone to balance the rear wheel is a real challenge in most areas, the fronts - almost anyone can balance. They run smooth after Wallyworld balanced them.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This entire discussion may just come down to the actual "Quality" of the training for the personnel at your
    Wal-Mart...
    Good luck; please let us know how they do!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE: Purchased tires from Walmart, going somewhere else to mount them

I placed my order for the tires from Walmart! They'll be here in a day or two. I talked with the "tire tech" and he stated they have a lot of "new" people working there. The first person I talked to I could not understand and then got to talk to the tech. He was very helpful and got my tire order placed accurately and quickly. I then asked him if they protect the chrome rims when mounting the tires - he said it's a 50/50 chance they may scratch them....................so, I am deciding to take them somewhere else (tbd) to be mounted.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the bright side; it sure sounds as if they were trying to tell you the truth...
    Good for them!
    And good for you!

Spyder Garage

Bauer Auto Service in Cold Spring mn. mounted and balanced a rear tire for me last year. Its sort of a family run shop with auto repair and motorcycle repair. I also purchased the tire from them for about $10.00 more than I could of bought it online. If I remember right they charged $20.00 for mounting and balancing.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i will never understand why those who love their ride look for the cheapest way out when doing things with it

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks....

Thanks to all who have provided their input. I appreciate you taking time to respond.

Best regards.........happy & safe riding to you all!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i will never understand why those who love their ride look for the cheapest way out when doing things with it
    I understand it. "Love" is a relative concept - especially when it comes to machines.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps it wasn't about the cost...

Spyder Garage

That, too.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    .....And I will never understand how after paying a Dealer $125 per hour they can't get the OIL LEVEL correct ......I guess I didn't pay them ENOUGH .....................PS......no amount of MONEY can fix STUPID ........jmho....Mike

Spyder Garage

Jim,

I took mine to a tire shop in Eden Prairie and they removed the old tires and mounted the new and with disposal fees for the old tires the bill came to $67.00. I am sure you will find a tire shop close to you that can do the same.
    I did not have them balance the tires as I use Ride On for that.

If you and Teresa are going on the Caswell ride next weekend we will not be joining you as Kathy and I are going to the SOAR event in Wisconsin.

Hope we can do a ride together soon!

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Jim,

I took mine to a tire shop in Eden Prairie and they removed the old tires and mounted the new and with disposal fees for the old tires the bill came to $67.00. I am sure you will find a tire shop close to you that can do the same.
    I did not have them balance the tires as I use Ride On for that.

If you and Teresa are going on the Caswell ride next weekend we will not be joining you as Kathy and I are going to the SOAR event in Wisconsin.

Hope we can do a ride together soon!

Les
    Thanks Les...I will find a shop around here that won't harm the chrome rims when mounting the tires....thanks for the $ reference that you paid. I plan on using ride on and will not have them balanced just like you did. I am hopeful for a little smoother ride from the new tires and ride on! I could stretch another 5K miles out of the tires, but am not going to risk it. The rear Kumho and the original front Kendas are getting near the wear bars and worth changing at this time to be safe!

Also, just installed the BajaRon shock adjusters. Wow, with the BajaRon high performance sway bar and the shock adjuster, this machine really handles corners. We notice when riding 2 up, that the shock adjusters have helped on the roll of the bike during corners!

We will NOT be going to the MN Spyderlovers ride on Aug 15th as well. We are going to a wedding on the North Shore that weekend. Enjoy the SOAR event and we'll catch up with you and Kathy some other time....ride safe.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-07-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac