Thread: Ok to tie here?

Spyder Garage

Default Ok to tie here?

Trying to work with existing D rings in my trailer floor. Do you think it is OK to tie down to the bracket holding the saddle bag or to the passenger handrails?

ps. For some reason the photo loaded upside down. Please stand on your head��
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cognac; 08-05-2015 at 12:23 PM.

2014 Spyder ST-Limited - "Sally Ryde"

Spyder Garage

I cannot speak to the strap point in your photos, but would strongly caution against using the passenger hand grips. The rubber coating will tear if you stress it too much. We've even seen reports where it tore when someone used a clamp style cup holder back there.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

NO!

Spyder Garage

Default Tires-Tires-Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Cognac View Post
    Trying to work with existing D rings in my trailer floor. Do you think it is OK to tie down to the bracket holding the saddle bag or to the passenger handrails?

ps. For some reason the photo loaded upside down. Please stand on your head��
    If you don't want damage to the bike, don't strap the bike. The tires are what touches mother earth (or trailer bed) so if you keep them from moving the bike will be fine. I would secure the front wheels then tension them by pulling back on the rear tire. I look at it as corralling the bike to keep it in the same area. If you try to tie it down so tight that something is going to break. In my experience what breaks is the load and not the straps. My goal would be to keep the bike from moving no more that an inch in any direction. That movement would not upset the weight distribution of the trailer and not break anything on the bike.

Securing the wheels/tires also lets the rest of the bike use it's suspension to move as the trailer bounces down the road. Strapping to the bag mounts would put the suspension under load and all movement of the trailer is transferred to the bag mounts.

There are various options and opinions on this but that is how I look at it.
    Chris Gammack
    You don't know what I don't know. I don't know what you don't know. All I can say is at my age what I don't know is huge.
    I call the Avatar "The first fifteen feet."

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a similar set up as you do and I am wondering why you don't use
    something strong like the frame or the trailer hitch to tie it down ?
    The bag mounts are thin tubing and will bend as will the grab handles
    Play it safe and use the frame.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I lost my manual, but I believe it said to tie the wheels down and let the Spyder use it own suspension. Works for me. Just watch the straps are not in contact with a valve stem.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, tie down through the wheels.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Yes, tie down through the wheels.
    with larger 2inch wide straps if you can. Avoid stems & go UNDER belt. Dont just strap down but pull in oppisite directions<> (like tow trucks do)will be more secure. Dont trailer backwards where windshield will break in wind! Do not advise a cover that will flap in wind & scuff paint!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-05-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Locked 'N Loaded

We listened to all of your good advice. Trailer is too short to pull forward on the front wheels so we got chocks for them and then tied thru the back wheel with two straps, one pulling forward, down, and to the left and the other strap pulling forward, down and to right. Watching out for the valve stem.

Tomorrow we'll hook the trailer onto our 26 ft. Lazy Daze RV and take a two week trip exploring upper Michigan. Should be tons of fun. And yes we could just drive the Spyder the whole way, but we love the RV, too.

Thanks once again for all the help. You are so nice to us newbies. You folks are the best. Bless you. Bless you. Bless you.

Spyder Garage

Default Last question on topic

Once all tied in we closed the door to our enclosed trailer and found it right up against the hitch ball on the back of the Sypder. Is that ok? We put a protecting cover over the hitch.

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch Ball

Once all tied in we closed the door to our enclosed trailer and found it right up against the hitch ball on the back of the Sypder. Is that ok? We put a protecting cover over the hitch.
    I don't think that you would hurt the hitch ball. I would bet that any time you have any part of the trailer (wall, doors etc.) touching the bike expect that the finish will take a hit. Even with a cover (plastic or cloth) it will rub on that spot when under way. Any rubbing will hurt the finish. The only way to stop is to be sure there is an air gap between the bike and the trailer. This won't hurt the function of the hitch or ball but will rub the finish off.
    Chris Gammack
    You don't know what I don't know. I don't know what you don't know. All I can say is at my age what I don't know is huge.
    I call the Avatar "The first fifteen feet."

Spyder Garage

I strongly advise not to load and strap upside down as in this picture! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    with larger 2inch wide straps if you can. Avoid stems & go UNDER belt. Dont just strap down but pull in oppisite directions<> (like tow trucks do)will be more secure. Dont trailer backwards where windshield will break in wind! Do not advise a cover that will flap in wind & scuff paint!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Anything touching will wear. Likely just the paint at the point of contact. I don't know about the door.

About strapping, you also have the option of strapping the front wheels, pulling to the rear and the rear wheel, pulling to the front. That would reduce the overall 'footprint' of your setup and may get you away from your door if you were to lose the chocks.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

its ok to strap a spyder like this.. but be real careful when you unstrap it... move out from under it VERY QUICKLY...or it prolly will hurt like heck when you do...

osm

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

Spyder Garage

Get a bigger trailer before you damage the Spyder. That's my advice.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

We can uninstall the chocks and move them forward just enough for the hitch to clear the back door. Just an "Oh S..t" that can be fixed. Just needed a day to face the music.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    its ok to strap a spyder like this.. but be real careful when you unstrap it... move out from under it VERY QUICKLY...or it prolly will hurt like heck when you do...

osm
    Funny you say that, parking like that was so EZ, all I did was post pic here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Strap the Spyder down via the wheels. Any tie point above the suspension will be stressed when the trailer goes over a bump and the springs compress/extend. The weight of the Spyder is enough to transmit that stress to the tie point. Think of it as constant jerking and tugging against one spot; eventually that will bend or crack. Also even if the Spyder is tightly secured it WILL move forward and backwards a little, so move it away from the door lest you want a hole in the ramp door over time.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Plan to use the wheel but just curious, what about using the hitch ball as a tie down point?