Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Perception of the Spyder in the MC Community

I hail from NE and associate myself with the New England Riders (NER). Since they have gone FB it has really broadened the rider base. Someone posted up a picture of 4 or 5 Spyders parked in a row. It kind of looked like a BRP commercial shot. Nevertheless the comments flowed with many saying they don't consider the Spyder a motorcycle or it is for those that can not ride 2 wheels and similar comments. I posted up a couple of comments. The first one was I ride 2 wheels pretty good and I consider it a motorcycle. A couple more comments toward the negative side and I said, Having 175,000+ miles on a bike I don't see any difference from a Ural hack, Goldwing trike, HD trike, or even a Burgman scooter. Whether you ride a cruiser, sport tourer, a UJM they are all bikes, including the Spyder. It is my sense a lot of the negative comments came from those riders that maybe ride 1000 miles in a season. Interesting points of view. I now assume I won't get any waves back while on the road.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    I hail from NE and associate myself with the New England Riders (NER). Since they have gone FB it has really broadened the rider base. Someone posted up a picture of 4 or 5 Spyders parked in a row. It kind of looked like a BRP commercial shot. Nevertheless the comments flowed with many saying they don't consider the Spyder a motorcycle or it is for those that can not ride 2 wheels and similar comments. I posted up a couple of comments. The first one was I ride 2 wheels pretty good and I consider it a motorcycle. A couple more comments toward the negative side and I said, Having 175,000+ miles on a bike I don't see any difference from a Ural hack, Goldwing trike, HD trike, or even a Burgman scooter. Whether you ride a cruiser, sport tourer, a UJM they are all bikes, including the Spyder. It is my sense a lot of the negative comments came from those riders that maybe ride 1000 miles in a season. Interesting points of view. I now assume I won't get any waves back while on the road.

Willie
    The great thing is....it doesn't matter what they think!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Who cares? Just ride. You no not have to prove anything.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Willie
    Wille, Maybe it is important to Spyder owners to be seen as bikers but as for me, well I don't give a hoot nor do I FB or associate myself with ride groups that are comprised of a bunch of internet warriors. Next thread will be high wave vs low wave or the Harley guys won't wave at a Spyder at all bwhahaha
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just call mine "Fun"!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are bikers and there are posers, bikers understand that it isn't what you ride, it's that you ride. Posers don't matter.

john

Spyder Garage

Plus one for Retread.
    I was at bike night and two guy were talking (loudly) about being real riders. One guy said, he could afford a Harley, but he still rode over a thousand miles.....last year. the other said, I do ride a Harley and I had over over fifteenth hundred.
    Several of us looked at each other, then one guy walked said, I am not sure if I am a real rider/biker or not, but we rode to CA last month and plan to ride to Boston in couple weeks, want to come a long. both of the "rel biker" just left without a word.
    I do not even think about the naysayers, just ride and enjoy.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Willie
    Most of the comments are from people who can't afford a spyder bro

Spyder Garage

It's not an interesting perception; it's old and tired, and it has been covered many times over, as have the negative Harley comments.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh...!!

Jelousy, envy and fear.....but then I don't ryde for the reasons they do nor associate with them. I wave to all on the road and expect nothing back cause I don't wave for a return wave and Its nice when I get one back. But their attitute and actions speak volumes of the person....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

I love my Spyder and I am so thrilled that I have an option to be able to ride with my husband. I took the 2 wheel motorcycle safety course, passed the written and bombed the riding skills test. I have no confidence in myself on two wheels when it comes to shifting gears, front brakes, rear brakes, etc. (I drive a stick...what's up with that?).

I take the three wheel course in two weeks and am so excited! So, those naysayers can kiss my . The Spyder has given me the ability to enjoy the excitement of riding a motorcycle....my way. That's all that matters to me.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Hi Brettssunshine,

Re: I have an option to be able to ride with my husband.

If Brett is your husband, tell him that I think he is a lucky guy. And if Brett is not your husband; well, then tell your actual husband.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of some real people. No one can call them posers. Most put on 10,000 miles for this trip. Here is the half way point.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

One more...the only posing here is for the pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I love to throw a stick in the spokes of some of those neg comments whenever Can Am FB's something...It's just riding folks, there's nothing bad arse about it. I ride, drive and operate many machines and just like doing so.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Willie
    Good for you!! I especially like your last comment. But I agree with AMTJIM above.

What everyone says here about "It doesn't matter what anyone else says", etc. is all true. I especially like what retread said. But, IMHO, that doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to defend the Spyder on the NER FB page. Use positive statements and facts, not negative criticisms of other's posts. I'll bet if you do, you will soon find some comrades in that group who have like thoughts, and will also speak up. Their callow arguments just don't hold any water. Kill 'em with facts and common sense.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-05-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not what you ride...
    It's the fun that you have while sharing the road with your riding buddies!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    I love my Spyder and I am so thrilled that I have an option to be able to ride with my husband. I took the 2 wheel motorcycle safety course, passed the written and bombed the riding skills test. I have no confidence in myself on two wheels when it comes to shifting gears, front brakes, rear brakes, etc. (I drive a stick...what's up with that?).

I take the three wheel course in two weeks and am so excited! So, those naysayers can kiss my . The Spyder has given me the ability to enjoy the excitement of riding a motorcycle....my way. That's all that matters to me.
    Ms. Sunshine,
    I don't know Brett, but he is probably an alright guy, judging by the ladiy he hangs out with. Anyway, I want you to know I live in Mountville, and I think we should ride somewhere together sometime soon. Waddaya think?

Spyder Garage

Redundant for me too comment, but dudes I ride with like my SpYdeR and was mentioned here and one of my buds sais it "Not what you ride as long as your riding" Being my first bike or trike as I call it gets lots of attention and when I feel like joining in on the BS say they are quick and if they don't smoke some bikes they certainly keep right up with them

Spyder Garage

Whether they ride a thousand a year or fifteen is of no matter, they still ride! At one time I did about 25,000 plus miles a year on a Kawasaki 90cc. I went to rallies or camping on week ends. On the first engine I did 140,000 miles on the second one 250,000. Then I went on to 250's then sidecar outfits and most recently a Wing. There is no need to shame these guys or gals for that matter, they are riders. Maybe posers but still riders! Many of my miles have been in torrential rainfall and in brutal weather, in those days you wore the best gear you could afford and kept your visor down and put your shoulder to the wheel so to speak. As regards Harley riders not waving back I believe it's because they need to keep both hands on the bars to retain control of them especially in the twisties I have seen more than a few touch down at the slightest provocation at a dimple in the road or on the slightest curve. Could never understand that. A buddy of mine had a Triumph chopper, it just didn't handle but sure looked cool. But they too are riders and we share the same sun the same rain and the same ribbon of road just at different times I have yet to try a Spyder mainly because I have back and hip cramp issues and I need something special to take my lady and I to fun places without a fourth wheel in the other corner. So keep on waving some return the salute others are one shimmy away from falling off and may give you a nod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Wille, Maybe it is important to Spyder owners to be seen as bikers but as for me, well I don't give a hoot nor do I FB or associate myself with ride groups that are comprised of a bunch of internet warriors. Next thread will be high wave vs low wave or the Harley guys won't wave at a Spyder at all bwhahaha
    Well said.

Here's a perspective from the owner of another brand (not yet a Spyder owner). Anyone who gets hung up on this topic from either viewpoint is missing out on the joys of the open road. Having owned many bikes you can get funny reactions for sure. At one point I owned a Nighthawk 700S and my Wing at the same time. One day I was out on the Hawk and came upon about 4-5 true blue GWRRA Wingers. I mean the vests, the pins, and the stuffed animals on the back. A nice little left handed motion of greeting was snubbed as if I was an alien. I just laughed to myself because if they knew I was a Wing owner I'm sure it would have been different.

Anyway the point I try to make George said so much better, that is Who Cares?

If any of you Pa. Spyder owners see a GL1500 Green Trike out there be sure to walk up and say hello or give us a wave because we will most likely engage or wave to you 1st.

Ride Safely everyone
    Friends don't let friends apex early

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if i don't know you & you are not a hot babe i probably don't care what you think....er even if you are a hot babe i don't care
    i enjoy riding my bike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycles and Spyders.....They're different from each other, but are in the same general category (non 4 wheeled road vehicles).

Airplanes and helicopters....They're different from each other, but are in the same general category (aircraft).

No reason to look down on each other, just recognizing the differences, yet enjoying their commonalities.

Spyder Garage

Pretty much the hd riders I've seen all seem to be long haired bearded old & think they have to have loud pipes

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinner45 View Post
    have to have loud pipes

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    Couldn't agree more

I just think all the can't enjoy the curves or lean comments are ironic...when ever I come across them in the twisties they can hardly turn without stopping because of all the highway pegs and floor boards sparking and snagging if they lean slightly more than the kickstand...some don't even need a kickstand.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black