Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Sproket Change

I want to lower my rpm/mph or in other words increase my mph/rpm. I purchased the 79 tooth rear sprocket for my F3. This is the sprocket that is used on the non-North American F3 models. I also purchased the shorter belt. The dealer installed the rear sprocket and belt. When I picked it up and started driving it home the check engine message came on the gauges and it would not shift properly. Took it back to the dealer. After a week and half in the shop, the dealer was informed by BRP that the error code is due to the sprocket change. On the F3's with the semi automatic transmission, the down shift points are programmed into the ECM or the TCM. The dealer put the original 89 tooth sprocket and belt back on and the unit works fine. My question is, if they run the 79 tooth sprocket on the non-North American models, can I change the ECM or the TCM to a non-North American and get the proper down shift points needed for the transmission? It would seem to me if I can change the ECM or the TCM (which ever unit controls the downshift points) to match the 79 Tooth rear sprocket ratio, it should work. Any technical information about this would be great! BTW, all F3s use the same front 29 tooth sprocket.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

to bad it is not the manual shift. You may be getting to where it is not cost effective. Those units are not cheap . If you do figure a way let the folks here know...your not the first to search for change...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mactim View Post
    I want to lower my rpm/mph or in other words increase my mph/rpm. I purchased the 79 tooth rear sprocket for my F3. This is the sprocket that is used on the non-North American F3 models. I also purchased the shorter belt. The dealer installed the rear sprocket and belt. When I picked it up and started driving it home the check engine message came on the gauges and it would not shift properly. Took it back to the dealer. After a week and half in the shop, the dealer was informed by BRP that the error code is due to the sprocket change. On the F3's with the semi automatic transmission, the down shift points are programmed into the ECM or the TCM. The dealer put the original 89 tooth sprocket and belt back on and the unit works fine. My question is, if they run the 79 tooth sprocket on the non-North American models, can I change the ECM or the TCM to a non-North American and get the proper down shift points needed for the transmission? It would seem to me if I can change the ECM or the TCM (which ever unit controls the downshift points) to match the 79 Tooth rear sprocket ratio, it should work. Any technical information about this would be great! BTW, all F3s use the same front 29 tooth sprocket.
    This was brought up last year sometime. It has nothing to do with shift points. Someone contacted BRP at that time and asked if it could be done. It has to do with a mismatch between engine rpm and the expected rear wheel speed in that gear. So it does not matter if it is a SE or SM transmission. Because of that nobody tried it. So you are the first. At least we know it is true.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

A possible fix could be to get your dealer to plug in the BUDS, and see if your F3 has an option to set to international settings, if so once you change your sprocket and belt you can change it to the International setting, which will then have the same settings as
    our F3 here in NZ and Australia, as the smaller sprocket and belt is our only option
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    A possible fix could be to get your dealer to plug in the BUDS, and see if your F3 has an option to set to international settings, if so once you change your sprocket and belt you can change it to the International setting, which will then have the same settings as
    our F3 here in NZ and Australia, as the smaller sprocket and belt is our only option
    I costed this for USA residents last year and cautioned re having to replace the modules.
    i costed it about $2,700 us$.
    you would have also needed to replace the belt guards.
    I suppose it is a case of cutting losses or making the commitment.
    if the dealer advised you that it could be done let them fix it.
    i was informed by brp that bud would not work but maybe they are wrong.
    will look at the programming area a bit closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does the BUDS system read the V.I.N. of the attached bike, or is it input by the technician?
    If it's the latter; I'd have them try punching in the V.I.N. of an RT, and see what happens...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am already into this Pulley Change for $1,000.00. A new ECM sells for $529.00 and a TCM $529.00. I just need to know what to buy and how to buy it to make the 79 tooth pulley work on my North American F3. Thanks for all the posts. Any more info would be great.

Spyder Garage

Default BOSSWeb BRPB.U.D.S

I am already into this Pulley Change for $1,000.00. A new ECM sells for $529.00 and a TCM $529.00. I just need to know what to buy and how to buy it to make the 79 tooth pulley work on my North American F3. Thanks for all the posts. Any more info would be great.
    Hi the dealer can update the ECM.

The dealer should be able to try to change the vehicle configuration, eg select settings - vehicle configuration - country option to International model. The ecm may or may not accept the new data.The BUDS will most probably come up with a cluster coding does not a match with the ECM connected. They can try to just click yes.
    An easier way would be to get a vehicle VIN and Engine number and customer name (a F3S with the 79 pulley) to download data from BOSSWeb using B.U.D.S. this is the easiest way to set it up. This may be the quickest way as they may not need to pair the ECM to the GBPS or do a TPS setting. They will then need to add your keys to the ECM.

The parts manual for F3 Se6 only has the one ECM so I would not waste money on a new one. ECM 420666716
    Do you know what codes are coming up U0300, U0302,U0303,U0400P062F, P2806, P280A or maybe P062C

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default F-3 Pulley Change Successful!!!!!

I thought I would let everyone know that I completed my project of installing the 79 Tooth rear Pulley on my 2015 F3-S North American Model. I installed the new rear Pulley, used the BUDS system to uncheck the option for North American (CU) drive ratio. Then I had to reset the VCM Variant code. The model changed from F-3 Cu to F-3 International. No fault codes, shifts like it is suppose to. This leads me to believe that a F-3 with a 79 tooth could be changed to the 89 tooth North American Rear Pulley. This would provide more power out of the hole. Contact me if you want more info. I wanted lower RPM at Cruising speeds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations as you are the first to have completed the swap! And you have kept us informed along the way.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Fabulous. It's good to know it can be done. There have been some other threads on the this topic that made it appear that it could be done on a F3. Thanks for confirming it for us.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I thought I would let everyone know that I completed my project of installing the 79 Tooth rear Pulley on my 2015 F3-S North American Model. I installed the new rear Pulley, used the BUDS system to uncheck the option for North American (CU) drive ratio. Then I had to reset the VCM Variant code. The model changed from F-3 Cu to F-3 International. No fault codes, shifts like it is suppose to. This leads me to believe that a F-3 with a 79 tooth could be changed to the 89 tooth North American Rear Pulley. This would provide more power out of the hole. Contact me if you want more info. I wanted lower RPM at Cruising speeds.

Thanks is for the update. I'd prefer lower RPMs while cruising as well. How much of a difference did it make in the RPMs?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So it can be done.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhammy View Post
    Hi the dealer can update the ECM.

The dealer should be able to try to change the vehicle configuration, eg select settings - vehicle configuration - country option to International model. The ecm may or may not accept the new data.The BUDS will most probably come up with a cluster coding does not a match with the ECM connected. They can try to just click yes.
    An easier way would be to get a vehicle VIN and Engine number and customer name (a F3S with the 79 pulley) to download data from BOSSWeb using B.U.D.S. this is the easiest way to set it up. This may be the quickest way as they may not need to pair the ECM to the GBPS or do a TPS setting. They will then need to add your keys to the ECM.

The parts manual for F3 Se6 only has the one ECM so I would not waste money on a new one. ECM 420666716
    Do you know what codes are coming up U0300, U0302,U0303,U0400P062F, P2806, P280A or maybe P062C

Good luck.

It may not be that simple. Some ECMs can only be written to once in the basic config areas like changing international criteria, then that section of the data storage is "locked".
    I'm not saying this IS how things are but they certainly could be. As there is only one ECM module that is fitted to the F3(-S) it may well be possible to rewrite all parameters but don't bank on it.

Spyder Garage

So lower RPM at cruising speed means better gas mileage do you see a difference will it be worth the money you spent on all this! My V-twin RSS is notorious for her at high rpm at cruising speed looking forward to the new three cylinder next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Default 2017's with 79 tooth sprocket

To my knowledge the 2017's have changed to the 79 tooth sprocket. So they must have done something to accommodate this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 79 to 89 RT

I'm still waiting for someone to get the 1330 RT changed from the 79 to the 89 tooth rear sprocket...The RT's are heavier, usually ridden two up and many times pulling trailers...They would REALLY benefit from the lower gearing sprocket change...

There is one member on here working on getting a handle on this...If they get it figured out I'll be the second one doing it...

It would be nice if BRP would step up and offer a option for this...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Pulley Change "NOT Successful"

My pulley change project looked very promising until I took it for a test drive. It did not like the drive ratio change. Check engine light came on, neutral indicator started flashing. Back to the drawing board. Changing the model to international did not work. Going to try and reflash the ecm. Sorry for the previous misinformation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do not understand all the confusion.

A suggestion would be to ask Lamont at least as he seems to have connections to the factory.

Most likely nothing more than a computer update, but would require a special code to get there.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

After you get all of the computer issues sorted out, someone can come up with an exchange program where those wanting the "other" sized pulley can do it via buying used rather than new...or straight up exchange.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully all goes well and you get it sorted, Im not sure what your expectations are once sorted, but from what I have read on here compared to what I have in New Zealand, there is not a huge amount of difference in performance/economy.
    I get approximately 100kms, (around 60 miles) per gas tank more than my partner on her 2012 RSS, and performance wise there is not a lot of difference, the F3 is maybe a little quicker of the mark, but top speed is very similar RSS 190kph (118mph) and F3 is 195kph (121mph)
    I will say these top speeds were only achieved once, on some very long straight roads with virtually no side roads. The F3 virtually got up to around 188kph in 5th gear, then slowly climbed to 195kpm in 6th gear before I decided that I had pushed my luck enough.

But usually riding is around the 100kph mark which is the open road speed limit here.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaTru01 View Post
    Thanks is for the update. I'd prefer lower RPMs while cruising as well. How much of a difference did it make in the RPMs?
    It would amount to approx 11.2% in lower rpm per mph but also 11.2% in less acceleration--nothing is free.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

This seems like an awful lot of trouble for very little gain in MPG. Why not just run in the ECO mode and pay attention to your shift points? It would take years of riding to make up the $1,000 to $2,500 investment to do this.

If it ain't broke... don't fix it....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default HELP!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me which module is responsible for monitoring the rpms and the transmission gear. I keep getting the code P0703. My N and R indicators flash and my gear position flashes. I have a 789 tooth rear pulley on an international model. If the clear the fault code it comes back on within a city block. I need to know if it is the ECM or TCM.