Thread: xm radio

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default xm radio

which xm radio can you buy for a RT and how do you mount the antenna? I would love to listen to it through my helmet Sena's
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's always BRP's optional XM receiver that plugs right into the existing entertainment system...
    But for $50; I went the CHEEP route!
    I bought an XM Onyx receiver, and mounted it in the top trunk. I use the 12 volt power source back their to give it some juice, and I use the MP-3 Player patch cord, to tie the output into the existing system. The antenna is that little plastic "egg"... it sits on the shelf just over the lip that seals the top trunk from the elements,
    It ain't perfect: I've got to stop in order to change channels. But for the savings...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP and it mounts on the passenger backrest that is inside the trunk.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did mine just like Bob Denman's. I have an XM Stratus 7 that I got from XM (for being such a loyal customer). All my wife had to do was pay $7.95 shipping and handling. It came in just about the time I picked up my Spyder. It works just fine, and I don't even bother listening to the AM/FM anymore.

Spyder Garage

We run the Zumo 665 to listen to XM on our RT.
    Kevin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's always BRP's optional XM receiver that plugs right into the existing entertainment system...
    I bought an XM Onyx receiver, and mounted it in the top trunk. I use the 12 volt power source back their to give it some juice, and I use the MP-3 Player patch cord, to tie the output into the existing system. The antenna is that little plastic "egg"... it sits on the shelf just over the lip that seals the top trunk from the elements,
    It ain't perfect: I've got to stop in order to change channels. But for the savings...

This works fine as I did almost the same thing..I just need to make it permanent .. I just set the channel now and drive..

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Would you guys mind uploading pictures for all of us?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

I use my phone to stream via Bluetooth into the helmet. Have unlimited data and much better selection than XM. I also have a Bluetooth dongal to stream into the Aux on the RT to the speakers for short rides or want to use my other helmet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Would you guys mind uploading pictures for all of us?
    If I can get the camera and the bike in the same place...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RUOUTHERE View Post
    We run the Zumo 665 to listen to XM on our RT.
    Hi RUOUTHERE,

I have a 2013 ST Limited. Do you know if the Zumo 665 works on the same mount as the 660? Is all of the wiring compatible? Does it require another antenna for XM/

Thanks,
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    Hi RUOUTHERE,

I have a 2013 ST Limited. Do you know if the Zumo 665 works on the same mount as the 660? Is all of the wiring compatible? Does it require another antenna for XM/

Thanks,
    John
    The 665 will work on the 660 mount and harness..But will not work for XM/weather without the 665 harness..
    I have the 665 now on the spyder now with the 660 harness/mount

Spyder Garage

Was considering them same route for about a month.

So I take it, their is no reception problem with the antenna on the "inside" rather then on the top of trunk?

TIA
    AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    which xm radio can you buy for a RT and how do you mount the antenna? I would love to listen to it through my helmet Sena's
    This is how I did it.
    Radio in Trunk.
    Used industrial Velcro to hold antenna to lid. Before placing it, I moved it around to find the strongest signal with lid closed, then stuck it in place.
    Radio is one of the least expensive at @30.00 new with "car kit".

AJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Here's how I mounted mine. Bought the XM Snap by Audiovox from amazon for $30. Comes with the unit, antenna and auxiliary cable. I installed a power point in each speaker grille up front so I could pick which side I wanted to mount it.
    Used my mp3 auxiliary cable to connect in the truck and used (2) cable extensions from walmart. Ran cables under seat and down the frame rails up to the unit. Also ran antenna wire in the same location but mounted the antenna on the top of the rear trunk lid. Used a magnet to keep it secure.
    I use the "aux" setting on the radio and it sounds great. Crystal clear and I can change the station even with gloves on. Used the built FM modulator but the sound was really muddy. Hence the use of the (2) auxiliary cables to extend to the truck connection.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here are pictures of how I mounted mine.

I ran a cable to the trunk for the MP3 plug. I drilled a hole in the ball mount and ran the wire so they don't show the antenna I mounted on top with Velcro the LED light is my idiot light, the idiot light comes on regardless of what turn signal is on. The whole thing looks very clean and I can remove everything and put it back in original condition.

ToM
    Life is Great
    Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

here's my setup I run wires from the battery for power and then the audio is run under the seat to the trunk

Spyder Garage

Let us know what you decide. I'm a new Spyder owner and am wondering what I'll do for audio. I wear earplugs molded for my ears, so the radio on the Spyder is pretty much useless for me.

I bought the Delphi Skyfi 11 years ago and mounted on my handlebars. When that broke I went to the Skifi2 which I still use in the house and in my truck and car - it has an FM transmitter so it plays thru the radio. I'm wondering about a helmet with BlueTooth attached, and I guess there is a way to get the radio sound into the speaker. I would really like to use the weather band on the Spyder,

I also use XM internet radio so if I had BT in the helmet, I can use my phone as long as there is cell service.

Also, XM has sent me an Onyx receiver for postage, maybe $7-$8. Maybe they will send you one.
    -Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

I made a box out of Kydex sheet. Mounted it in the trunk to hold my Roady XM radio. It's now plugged into the Spyder's plugs. One for power and one to the radio control. Made a slot for the antenna wire at the top left of trunk so that it wouldn't get pinched and broken. It's a cheap after market antenna. I set the station at the radio.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I made a box out of Kydex sheet. Mounted it in the trunk to hold my Roady XM radio. It's now plugged into the Spyder's plugs. One for power and one to the radio control. Made a slot for the antenna wire at the top left of trunk so that it wouldn't get pinched and broken. It's a cheap after market antenna. I set the station at the radio.
    That antenna that you use is far better than what XM puts in the box IMO..

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    here's my setup I run wires from the battery for power and then the audio is run under the seat to the trunk
    I like your set up, nice and clean great job.

ToM
    Life is Great
    Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM