Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Silly Question - Spirit Bell?

Newbie Spyder owner back with another pesky question (I have 2014 RT S SE6 Cognac, working on getting pix and data into a new profile and getting paid status - patience, I can be slow!)

My girlfriend has given me the gift of a spirit bell and insists I mount it on the new Spyder (I had a low side a few years ago on a previous bike). I certainly carry it right now and have advised that it is highly unlikely that I will have a low side on the Spyder but she will not hear of it. The question is where? She insists that (as the card says) it be below the bike near the pavement to scare the spirits away from grabbing my bike and taking it down (she's cute and lovable enough for me to tolerate such talk).

In all seriousness, I do love her and would love to show off a perfectly mounted bell to make her feel better. My question to you all is where? Is there a recommended location? Do any Spyder owners have such bells?

Thanks...
    Walter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on having such a thoughtful girlfriend!
    The Spirit, Gremlin, or Guardian Bell is meant to be placed low on the bike so as to catch the little buggers, before they can ruin your day of riding...

Here's a link that has a story about them.

http://www.guardianbell.com/

I didn't mount mine low...
    I mounted them to my license plate frame, but others have put them down on the pegs or even the A-arms...
    My first one was a gift from a longtime riding buddy (It started it's journey on my 2010 RT), and the new one was from my Son when I got the 2014 bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-02-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't find a pic, but I have mine on the front frame between the wheel and the frunk.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

My husband just got one for me. I hooked it to the brake peddle.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default She's right...

the lowest spot possible. The legend is interesting and the bells are many and all over when you look for them....mine came from a friend I've never met right here on spyderlovers and it has been keeping the gremlins away very well...mine is low and forward....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mine's on the lower a frame between the wheel and the frunk using a cable tie. Also have a "rider's angel" on the rear license plate holder - figure one can't have too much protection!
    ​Jeff

2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze (aka "The Bronze Beauty")
    Ultimate faux crocodile seat, backrest , and armrests in cognac-/black, Luggage nets, luggage, drink holders, top mirror, shorty antenna, SENA SMH10 headsets and SMR10 dongle, Garmin 665lm, Tri-pouch, Trunk mount flag poles, Custom Dynamics vent covers, Show Crome Luggage Rack, custom mud flap, Full Size Brake Pedal, Tricled mirror turn signals, LED strips on rear of front fenders, custom highway pegs, BakerBuilt Air Wings w/ Uppers
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife's is on the bottom of the foot peg bolt.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have mine on the brake pedal as well. It chimes every time I mount the bike, a very comfortable feeling.
    2013 RT Limited
    Tucson, AZ

Spyder Garage

Mine is out of sight in front of rear brake assembly
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

You have a very thoughtful friend.

Many of us have the protection of the gremlin bell. They have about a 99% success rate.

Enjoy your new ride and thank the girlfriend for the thoughtful gift.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Actually have a couple, one from my wife and one from a good friend who is not longer alive. One on the A arm, one on foot peg
    Thank your lady friend for being so thoughtful.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Bell Mount Location.

I talked to the bell angel/spirit and it says just mount the thing where ever the heck you want it.
    Dont over think simple things.

carl

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

About a week after I got the new (to me) RT, I had a discussion on a Sunday afternoon with a local friend about needing a ride bell. All my prior rides have had them, and so as not to disturb the good karma, I always left them in place when I sold or traded them. But it was Sunday, all the local bike shops were closed, so nothing could be done at the moment.

The next day, I received one in the mail from another rider friend. Serendipity and good friends are awesome!

I went for the lowest spot also and zip-tied it onto the bottom of the brake pedal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminMeanie View Post
    All my prior rides have had them, and so as not to disturb the good karma, I always left them in place when I sold or traded them.
    The next day, I received one in the mail from another rider friend. Serendipity and good friends are awesome!
    I'm glad that you mentioned this...
    Since these Bells work best when received as a gift; does this become your gift to the new owner of the bike?
    When I traded-in my 2010; I wasn't sure what to do about it. It turned out that the dealer removed my original Bell, and moved it to my new RT...
    I never told them NOT to do that; is it a mistake to keep a Bell?

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since these Bells work best when received as a gift; does this become your gift to the new owner of the bike?
    When I traded-in my 2010; I wasn't sure what to do about it. It turned out that the dealer removed my original Bell, and moved it to my new RT...
    I don't know that I ever thought about it being a mistake to keep a bell. I can't think why it would be. I think the original intent remains, whatever bike the bell happens to be on.

I was usually so excited about getting a new bike that I never thought about retaining the old bell. After the fact, if I did think of it, I would just consider it a gift from me to the new owner. A couple of the used bikes I bought over the years, including my first bike ever, came with a bell already on it.

The (2-wheeled) motorcycle forum I belong to has a bell exchange sticky. If you're getting a new bike, post about it in that thread, and someone will PM you for your address and send you a new bell for your new ride. A few years ago there was a huge influx of new riders, and I sent out about 20-25 bells in one riding season. Most of the gift bells I have received over the years came from people on that forum, as well.

This latest one was from a close friend who was so excited about me finally getting back into riding that she bought the bell for me and shipped it before I even closed the deal on purchasing it. That's way more foresight than I could ever claim to possess!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple of folks in here have tried to pick up on this practice of sending out Gremlin Bells, to those in need...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    " Bob, I believe it is for the person it was given to. So it does no matter which vehicle it is on it protects the person/owner from those pesky gremlins."

Spyder Garage

there are no silly questions, but some strange answers. the bell should be given to you by a fellow rider and it should go at the lowest to the ground you can put it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default GREMLIN BELL

Cruzr Joe gave me mine at Spyderfest this year, thanks Joe..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    Cruzr Joe gave me mine at Spyderfest this year, thanks Joe..

You are very welcome.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Up front between Aarm & frunk when pic is up rt
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default As others have said

Hang mine from the brake pedal. Our SRA group mails a Gremlin Bell to each new member as a gift!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    Newbie Spyder owner back with another pesky question (I have 2014 RT S SE6 Cognac, working on getting pix and data into a new profile and getting paid status - patience, I can be slow!)

My girlfriend has given me the gift of a spirit bell and insists I mount it on the new Spyder (I had a low side a few years ago on a previous bike). I certainly carry it right now and have advised that it is highly unlikely that I will have a low side on the Spyder but she will not hear of it. The question is where? She insists that (as the card says) it be below the bike near the pavement to scare the spirits away from grabbing my bike and taking it down (she's cute and lovable enough for me to tolerate such talk).

In all seriousness, I do love her and would love to show off a perfectly mounted bell to make her feel better. My question to you all is where? Is there a recommended location? Do any Spyder owners have such bells?

Thanks...
    Walter
    I have four (4) Angel Bells on my . Two of them are zip tied right below the front shocks, and the other two are under the floorboards. After removing the rubber mat, I drilled small holes in the metal part of the floorboards and attached eyebolts and nuts. The Angel Bells are attached to the eyebolts with small key rings.

The way I ride, I need lots of Angel Bells. I've managed to ride 37 years without even the slightest mishap.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Silly Question

I need to get my friends to give me a bell. I hope they read this forum and send me one for my

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald755 View Post
    I need to get my friends to give me a bell. I hope they read this forum and send me one for my

Gerald:

I have one Gremlin bell left, PM me with your name & address and i would be happy to gift it to you.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer