Spyder Garage

Default Chock for trailering

We will be traveling at times with out STL in an enclosed trailer pulled by our RV. We want to install chocks in the trailer for the front tires. Any recommendation on (1.) chocks that best fit these tires (usual size choices are 5.5" or 6.5") and (2.) chocks that won't rub the fenders.

P.S. We know we can use tie-down and not chocks but our trailer is barely long enough so chocks will work better than tie-down for the front.

2014 Spyder ST-Limited - "Sally Ryde"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I use: back rear wheel against home made wood chock, tie down strap on either side. Guide block on either side of front wheels. Simple. Quick. Inexpensive. Over 15k miles using such a system.

Tie downs need to pull against chock and down. Contained within the space of the bike. I can load both Spyders (an ST-LTD and an F3) is about 12 minutes.

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pauly1; 08-02-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default How do you hold UP???????

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Here's what I use: back rear wheel against home made wood chock, tie down strap on either side. Guide block on either side of front wheels. Simple. Quick. Inexpensive. Over 15k miles using such a system.

Tie downs need to pull against chock and down. Contained within the space of the bike. I can load both Spyders (an ST-LTD and an F3) is about 12 minutes.

Wayne
    How do you hold your Spyder up against the wall of the trailor?
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Take a look at Superclamps for Spyder. They are a site sponsor. http://www.superclamp.net/superclamp_spyder.asp

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Take a look at Superclamps for Spyder. They are a site sponsor. http://www.superclamp.net/superclamp_spyder.asp

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default now nothing will fall on da wall

Wayne

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Of course SuperClamps is by far the better way to go. Best system I have come across in years. Simply drive on and attach two small straps while standing up.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default thank you for getting me right side up!

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    This is how it should look.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Of course SuperClamps is by far the better way to go. Best system I have come across in years. Simply drive on and attach two small straps while standing up.

Jack
    Agreed, and especially for the 'just write the check' approach. I did look at them but they wouldn't work in my trailer set up.

Two Spyders end to end are over 16 feet long. I need to back one in, precuding the usage of the SuperClamp. Besides I weighed bending over and $5 against $800 for two sets of SuperClamps, and the picture shows wich one won.

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Agreed, and especially for the 'just write the check' approach. I did look at them but they wouldn't work in my trailer set up.

Two Spyders end to end are over 16 feet long. I need to back one in, precuding the usage of the SuperClamp. Besides I weighed bending over and $5 against $800 for two sets of SuperClamps, and the picture shows wich one won.

Wayne
    Too bad, you don't know what your missing. I believe they are now $369 or #389 factory direct. I have them in two different trailers now. When you get rich like me and "Hillary" price means nothing. Just write the check. No worries.

Actually, I did not write the check. One of my full time crew on my yacht in the Med. gave them to me for my birthday.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 08-03-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Too bad, you don't know what your missing. I believe they are now $369 or #389 factory direct. I have them in two different trailers now. When you get rich like me and "Hillary" price means nothing. Just write the check. No worries.

Actually, I did not write the check. One of my full time crew on my yacht in the Med. gave them to me for my birthday.

Jack
    I know what I'm missing, just couldn't make them work in my trailer

p.s.. Can you adopt me?

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

I know what I'm missing, just couldn't make them work in my trailer

p.s.. Can you adopt me?

Wayne
    Consider yourself adopted! Understand why you cannot use them in a tandem trailer when you have to back the first one in. Nice looking trailer.

By the way, Super Clamps are a breeze to install with great instructions

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Superclamp Rocks!

Yep, Superclamps are also the ONLY way to go with sleds as well. Well designed products, quick and easy to secure the toys.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

You guys get commission from superclamps? Way over priced chunks of plastic. I know, I know, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more than I trailer my Spyder I for one find it no big deal to tie the bike down with straps.

Jack
    Some of us do live on a budget and paying big money for things rarely used, for me is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Yep, Superclamps are also the ONLY way to go with sleds as well. Well designed products, quick and easy to secure the toys.
    I never secure my sleds in the trailer and they never move no matter how long the trip.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    You guys get commission from superclamps? Way over priced chunks of plastic. I know, I know, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more than I trailer my Spyder I for one find it no big deal to tie the bike down with straps.

Some of us do live on a budget and paying big money for things rarely used, for me is out of the question.

Come now, if you are on such a budget why did you spend 20-30 thousand dollars for a toy plus the cost of the trailer. Who's kidding who. After this kind of spending Super Clamps is just pocket change.

Jack

I never secure my sleds in the trailer and they never move no matter how long the trip.
    I would highly advise you secure the sleds some how. If you ever had to make a panic stop you would have ski's around your ears. I too lived in MN and trailered a lot of Snowmobiles around the country but never unsecured.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Im about to post in the for sale section two sets of spyder clamps. I used them on my trailer and they worked perfect. I am going to take the bottom plates and the tie down hooks off the trailer this afternoon and take pictures of all the components.

I haven't posted here in a while. I bought a Polaris Slingshot and have been driving it here lately.

Anyway , I am not sure what to ask for them. Shipping is pretty dang high because they are large and heavy.

Here is a picture of them on my trailer. I know they are 400.00 + shipping new. Maybe this afternoon when i get everything off the trailer and have it all in front of me I can come up with a price. If someone wants to make me an offer I would gladly take it into consideration ....

By the way,,,, I hope everyone has been doing well since my last post over here.....

Last edited by rabtech; 08-19-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Here is another shot of one set on the trailer. You can also see the front quack attach plate beside the regular motorcycle chocks up front.
    I have to remove those plates this afternoon and the 4 tie downs where the straps hook. Shouldn't take to long.

You can see its all in good shape. I keep the chocks off and stored in my barn when they are not being used...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cognac View Post
    We will be traveling at times with out STL in an enclosed trailer pulled by our RV. We want to install chocks in the trailer for the front tires. Any recommendation on (1.) chocks that best fit these tires (usual size choices are 5.5" or 6.5") and (2.) chocks that won't rub the fenders.

P.S. We know we can use tie-down and not chocks but our trailer is barely long enough so chocks will work better than tie-down for the front.
    I have an open trailer (5 1/2' X 10' from Northern Tool) and bought two chocks at WalMart (less than $10) and bolted them to the floor. Drive my Spyder on the trailer, strap down the two front wheels and the back wheel and off I go. Have trailered my RT Limited many thousands of mile and NOT one problem... Simple and minimal costs.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default A TV chocks

Quote Originally Posted by Cognac View Post

I just ordered atv, chocks from e trailer they are good for 11 inch wide tires.
    I will let you know how they are when I get them..
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Default Am I missing something?

Why do need chocks if you strap the two front wheels forward and put two straps on the back wheel leading aft?...that's what I do on my trailer and the bike never moves.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White