Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding in rain

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in rain

Ok, question.... Wife and I planning on going to the WV mountains Monday then heading to sons house in DC on Thursday. There is 50 percent chance of rain on Thursday. We will be pulling a RT 622 trailer behind our 14 Spyder. We have not ridden in the rain and to be honest it worries me. I really want to take the Spyder but wanted some advice first. How bad is it riding the RT in the rain in traffic? Is it "safe" with caution? Ant advice would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

You are gonna get wet! Seriously, good rain gear and take it down a notch and you will be fine. If you only ride on blue sky days you are missing all the fun!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pkbwv7320 View Post
    Ok, question.... Wife and I planning on going to the WV mountains Monday then heading to sons house in DC on Thursday. There is 50 percent chance of rain on Thursday. We will be pulling a RT 622 trailer behind our 14 Spyder. We have not ridden in the rain and to be honest it worries me. I really want to take the Spyder but wanted some advice first. How bad is it riding the RT in the rain in traffic? Is it "safe" with caution? Ant advice would be appreciated.
    Drive at a reasonable speed and as much as practical keep the rear wheel out of standing water, such as the rut in asphalt pavement that develop in the tracks of cars and trucks. Be ready to get a quick wake up if and when you hydroplane and nanny kicks in. The first time or two can be pretty jolting, but then you get a feel for it and actually feel secure because nanny is watching out for you.

If you have time to do it, install a low hanging mud flap on the rear fender. Without it the rear tire will kick up quite a rooster tail and because of the way the air circulates around the Spyder you can get muddy water sprayed all the way to the windshield. I made my own from sheet rubber. It's about 12" or 13" wide and hangs to within about 3" of the pavement. I have very little rooster tail spray.

Carry good rain gear and there's no reason you shouldn't have an enjoyable trip. Approached correctly, rain is a nuisance, not a hazard.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Rain...

If you have never done it before it can be a bit scary at first but within a mile or two you will be fine. Good gear and slow down
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only thing I might add is be careful in using engine braking or just avoid it all together - since back tire will slide around if braking to fast by using engine. Light with foot brake as well and allow extra stopping distance.

I ride rain or shine but also have many many years of doing so.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Default Cant add

Quote Originally Posted by danotech View Post
    You are gonna get wet! Seriously, good rain gear and take it down a notch and you will be fine. If you only ride on blue sky days you are missing all the fun!

Can't add much more than that. Have logged thousands of rain miles with and without trailer (just yesterday as matter of fact) Go and have a great time, oh, so what kind of raingear are you packing???
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

I have driven my RT in pretty heavy rain with pulling a trailer, no problems.
    Just like anything pulling a trailer, a little slower, if it gets to bad for you pull off and wait it out.
    Good rain gear is a must.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden in some real "Toad-Stranglers"...
    Quality riding gear is a must, and just slow down a little bit; you'll be fine!
    I've always ridden the rain, with the windshield as low as possible. I'd rather have one less piece of wet plastic to look through...
    Tip your head to the side out from behind it, and the wind will clean your helmet visor real quick!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default No issues

Quote Originally Posted by pkbwv7320 View Post
    I never let rain stop me. I also pull a 622...great rain gear (Frogg Togg website has some very good stuff at reasonable prices)...and don't use cruise control ... no issues..Just returned from ryding 26 out of 30 days in Alaska wearing rain gear. No issues at all...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

It poured on me from Virginia to North Carolina en route to Daytona, and I found the level of protection on my RT to be amazing. At Interstate speeds I barely got wet. Slow speeds and traffic are another matter. Slow it down, leave extra room between you and surrounding traffic, and avoid any sudden or violent inputs into steering, brakes, and throttle.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

I ride in rain and light snow with no problem
    I pull my RT 622 trailer in rain and snow
    Just slow down and watch out for the other guy
    Always wear rain gear incase you have to stop where there is no place to get out of the rain

Life is an adventure so enjoy the ride in any weather
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do NOT use your cruise control in the rain. Make sure your wife has good gear and that water won't be able to get down her neck because she will take the brunt of the splash back. A rain jacket with a hood that goes under your helmet works well.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

As others have said. Doable. Have good rain gear. Do not use cruise control.

Avoid higher speeds through standing water. That is an invitation to hydroplane. The is very good at that.

Remember, when the rain starts, the road will be extra slick from chemicals and oil.

Be safe, but don't let the rain ruin your trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Rain Advice

This is what is great about this site. You are getting really great advice and encouragment.
    Spyder has anti-lock brakes and dynamic stability control that you will probably never engage, but will save your butt if things go bad,(which they won't).
    Big trucks, splashing big water can be intimidating, and consider the risks before you pass.

Enjoy your ride.

Spyder Garage

Frog Thogs, then slow down and enjoy the rain on the US/STATE highways, not Interstate.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I do believe the others have about said it all.
    Good rain gear with hood under helmet , I like Frogg Toggs and do not use cruise control and have fun and enjoy the ride
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

As a 50+ year old Spyder Ryder, I enjoy some cool rain on a hot day!
    We watch the weather radar when we are traveling and try to avoid the rain.
    When we can't, I do what they said...
    Have a nice trip!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Limited, Red Pearl
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Additional turn signals mounted behind speaker grill
    12v cable for heated clothing
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Spyder Garage

I drove my Spyder RT home from the dealer I bought from about 250 miles through a torrential downpour about half the way. Rain suit? We had been in an enduring drought for several years and I found my rain pants no longer worked hehe Wore the jacket and honestly, only my tennis shoes and top of my thighs were significantly wet. Hardly dampened my knickers even though it dumped rain. Now that I think about it, some of the water could have been mitigated with a mud-flap to stop the slop caused by the back wheel slinging it up and on me. The back of my Spyder was covered in mud. I didn't think about this until I read this thread. I now also have Seal full floorboards and if I had worn some rain pants would have been almost totally dry. Just take care if you can't see the road surface. We have a lot of low water crossings that show up in a hard rain but I just slowed some and never had any sliding or skidding. The Spyder has the best rain protection I have experienced except for a cage.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Post Riding in the Rain

I will just say ditto to all the responses received. Just take your time and drive defensively.
    You are on a good machine that will help you make it to your destination. Having driven in the Washington DC traffic you will not be driving that fast because the traffic is terrible. If you can plan your trip to arrive before rush hour. Happy trails.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    A rain jacket with a hood that goes under your helmet works well.
    There's a tip I hadn't seen before. So water doesn't sneak in around your neck and run down your back, I presume. Thanks, Ann.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by danotech View Post

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default What do you do in your car when it rains?? Not drive at all?!?

Do you have a car that you drive in the rain?? Then take the same precautions riding your Spyder as you would driving the car in the car (the advice from all above certainly won't hurt too, but it's not significantly different!!) only be a little MORE careful and add the need to keep your body dry & warm (cos after all, you are just a little more exposed to the weather when on the Spyder) - when it all comes down to it, that pretty much covers the lot!!

Spyder Garage

Default Yep learned that also

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    There's a tip I hadn't seen before. So water doesn't sneak in around your neck and run down your back, I presume. Thanks, Ann.
    And it works. The other thing I learned was don't have part of a sweatshirt "hanging" outside of the raingear...acts like a wick and soon you are wet beyond wet!!! Ask me how I know!!! Experience, experience, experience. .
    Back to Ann's info...I learned that also....amazing how well it works and I have been in some real downpours...I personally prefer my 3/4 helmet but I always have my full helmet with me cause when it rains it goes on just to keep me drier...made of sugar and I just might melt!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Huh?

It hasn't rained so long in California, I can't remember what it like!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Clean

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    It hasn't rained so long in California, I can't remember what it like!
    Yeah, we can tell, aft end of Spyder is pristine.
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167