Spyder Garage

Default F3S BRP Blue Ridge improved wind protection with raised shield DIY Aluminum mounts

F3S Spyder BRP Blue Ridge shield moved 8 1/2"" rearward (from bottom holes in shield to front bolt hole mount for shield) & about 6" higher for 75% improved wind protection, with hand built DIY Aluminum mounts!!!
    My 90 mile test ride today on Hwy 10 Tucson, Arizona, I rode several miles with my helmet full face shield up, with just a mild wind in face (no helmet buffeting, no wind blast around sides of helmet; (like stock position F3 S BRP shield)!!!
    I moved/raised BRP Blue Ridge shield up & rearward (about same position as a RT Spyder shield, 15 1/2" high from top of handlebar mount to top of BRP shield; 24" from top of shield to front of my eyeglasses).
    By raising/moving rearward the BRP F3 shield, the 24" wide at bottom directs the wind out away from body.
    The 11" width at top of shield then pushes wind up over top of helmet, (because shield is raised up higher about 6")!
    I was surprised at small size BRP shield has good wind protection at highway speeds, no helmet buffeting, no wind blast noise around helmet, just a mild wind noise.
    (of course the small BRP shield will never give me the total barn-door wind protection I have with my RT shield 18" width at top, mounted on F3S)!!
    (I used left over 1 1/2"/2" wide 1/8" thick Aluminum flatbar for BRP test shield braces, so won't win any beauty contests, but it works)!
    I think Jt machine shop or someone with access to a metal bending machine could build these mounts to help F3 ryders with BRP Blue Ridge shield for better wind protection.

The CalSci ST shield would be a good size/wind protection for F3S Spyder (if someone built a mount for it)!!
    (the ST shield uses the same 4" eye to eye bolt hole in windshield for mounts as the BRP shield; ST shield has 11 1/4" width between shield mount holes).

Bottom line: The raised up BRP Blue Ridge shield works good enough for wind protection, with mild wind noise!!
    I am going to ryde my F3S with BRP shield for a few weeks in the Arizona Hot weather for continued testing!!
    (doesn't everyone Retired ride 90 miles for breakfast, ha (F3S ryde)?!
    Hope this info helps all the frustrated F3 ryders with helmet wind blast BRP Blue Ridge shields.
    Enjoy your rydes!!
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 08-03-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default windshield

........I love another DIY'er...............looks great.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Moving the shield!! Ron

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    F3S Spyder BRP Blue Ridge shield moved about 7" rearward & 6" higher for 75% improved wind protection, with hand built DIY Aluminum mounts!!!
    My 90 mile test ride today on Hwy 10 Tucson, Arizona, I rode several miles with my helmet full face shield up, with just a mild wind in face (no helmet buffeting, no wind blast around sides of helmet; (like stock position F3 S BRP shield)!!!
    I moved/raised BRP Blue Ridge shield up & rearward (about same position as a RT Spyder shield, 15 1/2" high from top of handlebar mount to top of BRP shield; 24" from top of shield to front of my eyeglasses).
    By raising/moving rearward the BRP F3 shield, the 24" wide at bottom directs the wind out away from body.
    The 11" width at top of shield then pushes wind up over top of helmet, (because shield is raised up higher about 6")!
    I was surprised at small size BRP shield has good wind protection at highway speeds, no helmet buffeting, no wind blast noise around helmet, just a mild wind noise.
    (of course the small BRP shield will never give me the total barn-door wind protection I have with my RT shield 18" width at top, mounted on F3S)!!
    (I used left over 1 1/2"/2" wide 1/8" thick Aluminum flatbar for BRP test shield braces, so won't win any beauty contests, but it works)!
    I think Jt machine shop or someone with access to a metal bending machine could build these mounts to help F3 ryders with BRP Blue Ridge shield for better wind protection.

The CalSci ST shield would be a good size/wind protection for F3S Spyder (if someone built a mount for it)!!
    (the ST shield uses the same 4" eye to eye bolt hole in windshield for mounts as the BRP shield; ST shield has 11 1/4" width between shield mount holes).

Bottom line: The raised up BRP Blue Ridge shield works good enough for wind protection, with mild wind noise!!
    I am going to ryde my F3S with BRP shield for a few weeks in the Arizona Hot weather for continued testing!!
    (doesn't everyone Retired ride 90 miles for breakfast, ha (F3S ryde)?!
    Hope this info helps all the frustrated F3 ryders with helmet wind blast BRP Blue Ridge shields.
    Enjoy your rydes!!
    Jim
    that looks really great
    Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No way I could make those brackets - well done - exactly the solution I have been working toward myself without success. I have left over 6' by 1/4" aluminum flat bar that I might attempt before winter hits.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

So I go out of town for a couple of days and you build new brackets lol. So what happened to your Barn door RT shield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    So I go out of town for a couple of days and you build new brackets lol. So what happened to your Barn door RT shield.
    Hi Larry,
    I took RT shield & mount off so I can cut top angle mount level, & spray Aluminum primer paint on brackets.
    I had a gut feeling I could make the BRP shield work on the F3S, surprised that it gives decent wind protection for a small across top shield.
    Riding F3S at 78 mph with helmet face shield up with BRP raised shield; never would have figured doing that after the 1300 miles with side of helmet wind blast ryding back from Pitbull (BRP shield in stock position)!
    We will have to figure out your shorty shield best angle for you.
    Hope you had a nice vac.
    Jim