Spyder Garage

Default Brake systems with mineral oils...?

I wonder if I can refill the containers, or replace the original brake fluid in my 2009 SE5, using Motul's RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid, because here in the tropics temperatures are high all year long.

But the Motul's bottle indicates " Not suitable for vehicles with mineral oil systems"...

I am buying the fluid thru Amazon, but when I saw the notice, I cancelled the item

What gives...?

No Spyder dealers here in Venezuela. I imported it from USA back in 2009...
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RBF600 is fantastic fluid. You would have no issues with it in the spyder. You ARE looking at a complete fluid change to benefit from using RBF600.
    The only downside is that your looking at more frequent fluid swaps as the RBF600 doesn't last as long. Higher boil point, more hydroscopic.
    Make sure the added maintenance is worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

some of those fluids as with the silicon dot 5's you are recommended to replace all the orings etc before using them. I only recommend racing types if your rebuilding the system on a straight forward hydraulic set up. Remember you have some nanny controled parts as well to consider...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have been using regular DOT 4 fluid to refill the containers when the low levels trips the "brake failure" alarm; flashing in the dashboard.

It is now almost impossible to obtain DOT 4 type in the country, so I am trying to buy from Amazon or eBay, but...

Too many choices..., too little time...

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RBF600 is a dot 3/4 compatible fluid but it has a higher boiling point. It's really more for race use but the only down side of using it in the spyder is your going to be swapping it out more often.
    If your biggest issue is simply sourcing fluid, then I'd keep looking. Does Amsoil deliver to you? I'm pretty sure they have a standard dot 3/4 fluid.
    What are local shops using for brake fluid down there?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    RBF600 is a dot 3/4 compatible fluid but it has a higher boiling point. It's really more for race use but the only down side of using it in the spyder is your going to be swapping it out more often.
    If your biggest issue is simply sourcing fluid, then I'd keep looking. Does Amsoil deliver to you? I'm pretty sure they have a standard dot 3/4 fluid.
    What are local shops using for brake fluid down there?

Only DOT 3 is available nowadays. Many riders just do not care about the type / quality of the fluid here. Way too many small Chinese motorbikes.

What about Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid...?
    Last edited by Pilo; 08-01-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    I wonder if I can refill the containers, or replace the original brake fluid in my 2009 SE5, using Motul's RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid, because here in the tropics temperatures are high all year long.

But the Motul's bottle indicates " Not suitable for vehicles with mineral oil systems"...

I am buying the fluid thru Amazon, but when I saw the notice, I cancelled the item

What gives...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Only DOT 3 is available nowadays.

What about Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid...?
    You do not have mineral oil fluid in your Spyder so there is no concern there. You have fluid which is glycol-based (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol based. DOT 5 is silicone -- NOT compatible). Castrol GT LMA and RBF 600 are both fully compatible with what you have in there now. No need to worry about changing components or cleaning out the system. Obviously the best performance will come from getting as much of the old out and the new in as possible.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Agree on the frequent replacement of RBF 600. I have used it before and not replaced it on bikes that have sat and it turns into crystals that requires sometimes taking the components apart and flushing. I would stick with typical DOT4 myself.

PK

Spyder Garage

Castrol LMA is an excellent choice.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6