Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Hopnel dashboard bags

I bought a set of Hopnel dashboard bags 6 months or so ago and up till now really liked them. There are three bags, and they're big enough to hold a set of glasses, wallet and other necessities in easy reach. They attach with Velcro so they can be easily removed.

But.. They've also been a bit troublesome. The Velcro that attaches to the dashboard may have been old and came off quickly, so I bought some Velcro strips at a hardware store and they worked fine. The Velcro on the bags is sewed on so it doesn't come off.

The design of the Spyder windshield causes wind to come in under the windshield and blow against the back of the bags. They have often looked like they were going to fly off at highway speeds and I regularly reach back and press them back into the Velcro to ensure a good grip. But, last Friday the center bag came off. The Velcro stayed on the dashboard, but the grip between the bag and dashboard failed. Fortunately I caught it with two fingers as it exited the left side of the dashboard. It held my glasses and my wallet and I was going at highway speeds, so loosing the bag would have been bad.

I really like the idea of this product but don't see a way to make it work. Industrial Velcro won't work because the bags have their own sewn in (the loop side is on the bag). I don't want to risk just trying fresh Velcro because the wind coming through the windshield really pushes on the back on the bags.

Has anyone else found a way to attach these on that doesn't involve drilling into the bike?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Hi, I bought a leather set which was all on one backing ,I was able to attach it using the 2 screw on top of the dash. I also put a 1/2 inch open shelf below it, to allow air under it.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

What brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

You might be able to rig a safety lanyard to a fixed point on the dash using monofilament line or a thin wire.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    What brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi, mine are not a particular brand, I got them at Daytona bike rally, because of the swivel catches. Attached is a picture of it lifted which allows air to flow under it and not lift up. It also gives more air flow directly to the driver. I was able to cut the backing that holds all three together and put the two dash screws through it.
    Can you attach all three to a backing, then use fishing line to secure to the two screws on the top of the dash?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

there are different grade velcros. The industrial type may make it hard to remove the pouch. Then you could use snaps though you would have to make some small holes to attach them to the dash. Only other thing that comes to mind is a plexiglass deflector pushing the air flow in another direction...I would start with better velcro and a lanyard...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hopnel dashboard bags

I have the Hopnel dash pouches also. Mine are one piece, not separate. The Velcro would not stay stuck to the dash either. I emailed BigBike Parts support about the problem and they mailed me "new and improved" Velcro that seems to be working. A friend who does a lot of road rallying also suggested looking on Amazon "auto" Velcro that is made specifically for automotive dashboards. The stuff BigBike sent is working for now so I didn't order it.

Spyder Phyl
    2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Timeless Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I have been in email contact with a delightful lady named Amy Gramberg at Big Bike Parts, and after I located proof of purchase she agreed to send me some better velcro for the product. I can't ask for much more than that, so I'll try it after it comes in. I'll update the post after I've tried the new Velcro.

I may go ahead and take some of the advice I've received here and run some type of stringer from the stationary clear windshield parts on either side of the windshield and run them on top of or through the bags.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I have been in email contact with a delightful lady named Amy Gramberg at Big Bike Parts, and after I located proof of purchase she agreed to send me some better velcro for the product. I can't ask for much more than that, so I'll try it after it comes in. I'll update the post after I've tried the new Velcro.

I may go ahead and take some of the advice I've received here and run some type of stringer from the stationary clear windshield parts on either side of the windshield and run them on top of or through the bags.
    She's the person I also emailed and got the new Velcro from. Seems to be working and I do need to find a way to secure the front of the center bag because it tends to lift especially with the vent open.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I bought those when they first came out some years back & found that with heat, the glue softened on the dash strips, allowing the wind to blow the bags off. I resolved it by adding some drops of super glue on the Velcro strips to permanently attach them to the dash. This resolved the problem.

I guess for me, the acid test was riding home from the first Owner's Event in Durango, CO. It was the end of June and we rode from Durango to Oklahoma City that first day. 764 miles in 100+ temps while running the I-40 most of the way. No problems with the Hopnel bags coming off.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I returned from SpyderQuest a week ago and rode in 90°+ temps for two days and the bags stayed put even though they were empty. As a matter of fact I've never really used them and they block the vent on my windscreen so I'm removing them over the winter.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Big Bike Parts mailed me some new Velcro (for free). I've only been using it for a few weeks but no problems yet.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!