Spyder Garage

Default Have Spyder; need title!

Hi all,

Just got a call from my credit union saying that the dealer I bought my (brand new) Spyder from made a major oopsie daisy. The dealer was supposed to send the certificate of origin to the credit union but claims that they gave it to me when I picked it up back in June. I don't remember seeing it back then nor do I have it anywhere in my paperwork.

I have no proof that I did not get it from the dealership, so how should I proceed to acquire one? Contact BRP for a replacement? Is that a possibility? Or what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would the title or copy of the title work? In Michigan, you can get a title (or copy) from the Secretary of State's office. Other states call this the Department of Motor Vehicles etc.
    Good luck!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd visit the dealer and push heavy on them to look for it. Did you pay the dealer a fee, and the taxes, etc., for them to deliver to the CU? If so, tell them they have a problem to fix. Then call or visit the CU to apprise them of the conversation with the dealer.

Oh, now that I think about it the CU would not be getting the COO, the state DMV will get it. The state will then send the title to the CU. The only thing the CU would get at this point is a copy of the COO. There should be a copy of it in the paperwork pile either with you or at the dealer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I'd visit the dealer and push heavy on them to look for it. Did you pay the dealer a fee, and the taxes, etc., for them to deliver to the CU? If so, tell them they have a problem to fix. Then call or visit the CU to apprise them of the conversation with the dealer.

Oh, now that I think about it the CU would not be getting the COO, the state DMV will get it. The state will then send the title to the CU. The only thing the CU would get at this point is a copy of the COO. There should be a copy of it in the paperwork pile either with you or at the dealer.

You are correct! The Certificate of Origin is what drives the title. No title can be issued in any state without it. This should never be given to the buyer. Dealer has resposibility to send it to the state, get the title and send it to you or your creditor. Exceptions to this would be a delivery to someone out of state.

Did you purchase in state or out of state?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Second to what he said. Both spyders that i've both have been out of state and I was given the Cert of Origin. Of course I had to take that to my Dept of Motor Vehicles. No turn the page, i've bought cars in the same state in which I do nothing for the title work. Dealership has always taken care of that and I will get a plate in the mail and depending on the creditor you will either A) get a title with lien holder on it or B) creditor will hold onto the title and then send it to you once the loan has been paid in full. I hope this helps but I agree with everybody else that you should start with the dealer. If there is no help there then the next thing would be contact BRP. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

You are correct! The Certificate of Origin is what drives the title. No title can be issued in any state without it. This should never be given to the buyer. Dealer has resposibility to send it to the state, get the title and send it to you or your creditor. Exceptions to this would be a delivery to someone out of state.

Did you purchase in state or out of state?

Jack
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

I am guessing you paid some kind of documentation fee to the dealer. It is their problem and they need to fix it.

Do triple check all your paperwork--again. Just to make sure you do not have the CO.

It is the dealers job to deal with title transfer documentation though.

Tell them if you can't get a proper title, they get the back and you need a refund of your money, or cancellation of the contract with the financer of the loan. The lienholder can also put some pressure on the dealer. They are not going to want to do the loan without proper documentation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here; we call it an "MSO". (manufacturer's Statement of Origin)
    If you paid for the dealer to handle the paperwork, and they dropped the ball; then they have a problem.
    Lean on them; if they can't provide the paperwork, tell them that you want a vehicle that DOES have the paper trail to back it up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the replies. I DID buy the Spyder out of state; that's probably why all the issues arose.

I thought they were supposed to send the COO to the credit union (our CU does the title paperwork with the state, they are actually a state employees CU anyway) so whenever we buy anything, they deal with the title stuff. But for that they need the proper paperwork. Even if the dealer had sent it to our state somehow, it would have been dealt with by now as it's been over 2 months (state has a pretty quick turnaround nowadays).

The CU folks were told that the dealer gave it to me but all I saw was the owner's manual, and copies of purchase paperwork (just plain paper printed stuff I signed). Nothing that looked like a COO (at least nothing that looked like the fancy one I got with my Husqvarna). I'll triple and quadruple check the paperwork and if I still don't find anything that resembles it, I'll ask the credit union to deal with them directly. I think part of the problem was that the guy I dealt with from the beginning happened to be gone the day I picked up the bike, and the guy substituting for him had a bunch of other stuff he was doing and I think he messed up. I have zero desire to return my Spyder to them even if they covered the shipping cost to get it back. I'd rather sort this out.

On a side note, they must have notified BRP of the purchase, since I got some welcome thing from them as well as a phone survey...
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your titles look like ours; the COO will look an awful lot like that...
    Here's to success!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black