Thread: Battery Tender

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

Is there a need for a specific battery tender for the winter for a Spyder ST, or can I use any standard motorcycle approved one?

Do you leave it on all winter long, or do you apply it periodically?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    Is there a need for a specific battery tender for the winter for a Spyder ST, or can I use any standard motorcycle approved one?

Thanks.
    I have a battery tender on my 2008 all winter each winter since I purchased it in the spring of 2013. I believe that its the original battery to the bike, and I have no idea what the previous owner did with the battery.

Forget that it says motorcycle approved - I would worry about verifying that it is compatible with your battery. Battery Tenders are not very expensive, and much cheaper then buying a new battery. Why take a chance ruining your battery with a generic battery tender?

JMO

Bruce.
    Displaced Canuck
    (Professional Photographer & Engineer)

2008 Yellow GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Just make sure that it is a tender and not a charger/trickle charger. Most bike shops have them as well as online and check our vendors they carry it all..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In my experience dealing with super expensive aircraft batteries, dealing with battery gurus and having them recommend Battery Minder over Battery Tenders that's the brand I use.

I have one of these exact same model. Bought the optional cigarette lighter adapter.

Switched the fuse location up front on the Spyder to make the trunk power outlet full time live.

Connect the Battery Minder with the cigarette lighter adapter on that power outlet after each ride.

I have used Battery Minders on the aircraft batteries and doubled the expected life span or taken failed batteries and let the Battery Minder desulfate them and have them last another year.

This is the one I use for the Spyder or cars / trucks. Not too expensive normally but better when on sale. $43...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9669_200589669

PK

Spyder Garage

My dealer, Honda of Winston-Salem, installs a complimentary Battery Tender Junior on Spyders as part of the OTD package. They wired it directly to the battery and rhe SAE plug is compatible plug and power-wise with my emergency compressor. I connect the tender only if I'm not going to be riding for more than a week.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I like...no I love the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. I leave it on whatever it is attached to....year round. I have used them for over 25 years on motorcycles, lawn equipment, tractors, show cars.

Right now I have it on; Spyder, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger. 365 days a year ! The vehicle is always ready to go and they start right up. I have all of them directly connected to the battery with the quick release plug.

I truly believe they maintain and lengthen battery life = saves you money and a dead battery !

You can get them on Amazon.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    Go to Costco buy one battery tender form that store around $39.99 ,good price and good tender

Spyder Garage

Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr seem to be the choice of many. I put a Jr. on each for the long sleep--usually Oct - Mar. Both start on the first try when its time to wake up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Interested

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    In my experience dealing with super expensive aircraft batteries, dealing with battery gurus and having them recommend Battery Minder over Battery Tenders that's the brand I use.

I have one of these exact same model. Bought the optional cigarette lighter adapter.

Switched the fuse location up front on the Spyder to make the trunk power outlet full time live.

Connect the Battery Minder with the cigarette lighter adapter on that power outlet after each ride.

I have used Battery Minders on the aircraft batteries and doubled the expected life span or taken failed batteries and let the Battery Minder desulfate them and have them last another year.

This is the one I use for the Spyder or cars / trucks. Not too expensive normally but better when on sale. $43...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9669_200589669

PK
    I have used the battery tender and tender jr for years, never heard of a minder. What is the difference?
    Last edited by Sccar; 08-02-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE PROPER TERM ?????

I do believe anything that identifies itself as a " BATTERY MAINTAINER " will be a good bet.....I bought one at Walmart 5 yrs. ago a Schumacher came with a few different pig tales. and cost $ 19.99.......It probably has gone up in price .........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sccar View Post
    I haved used the battery tender and tender jr for years, never heard of a minder. What is the difference?
    From what I learned by the battery engineer I dealt with was the Battery Minder does the functions of a Battery Tender but adds one additional parameter.

It has a desulfate mode. All the modes are pretty much automated after it is plugged in provided the battery is not totally dead or trashed.

So like the Battery Tender, the Battery Minder will charge with control, float and maintain the charge. It's the battery becoming sulfated that creates problems. The Battery Minder I believe does a controlled reverse current that accomplishes this.

I need to add, I am not the engineer, but sometimes listen well, and easily this can become over my head.

This is a link to the desulfating from the Battery Minder website. I checked the Battery Tender website and did not find anything mentioned. If it is there someone please link it so I can correct this post.

http://www.batteryminders.com/avoid-battery-sulfation/

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    I use an extreme motorcycle charger. It's 5 stage charger that can bring a dead battery back to life. Usually hook up once a month for a afternoon to take care desulfurization & keep battery up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr seem to be the choice of many. I put a Jr. on each for the long sleep--usually Oct - Mar. Both start on the first try when its time to wake up.
    Battery tender Jr. for me I have 3 now. Both my Snowmobiles and 1 for my Spyder.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The slower you charge a battery. The better. The best charging device to keep plugged into the battery is made by Battery Tender. It's their Tender Jr. It's a trickle charger that slowly charges and monitors the battery. Safe to keep plugged in all winter.

"Battery Tender" is a brand name not a device. There are other charging units that do similar things but the Battery Tender has been around for the longest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red