Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Audio from Garmin 590lm to radio system?

I just purchased a 2015 RT Limited that is factory bundled with a Garmin 590lm. The 590 has mp3 play capability, but no one at dealer seems to know if it is wired to play the mp3 audio through the radio. Seems like a waste no to. Anyone out there know what is required if possible?
    Thanks
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spstewart View Post
    I just purchased a 2015 RT Limited that is factory bundled with a Garmin 590lm. The 590 has mp3 play capability, but no one at dealer seems to know if it is wired to play the mp3 audio through the radio. Seems like a waste no to. Anyone out there know what is required if possible?
    Thanks
    Steve
    The previous version of GPS that BRP used was the Garmin Zumo 660. It also was capable of playing mp3 files. So from my experience and others I can tell you it won't work well. Not because of the GPS but because of the radio and how it is hooked up. The GPS is connected to a high priority input that overrides everything else and is not a selectable source. So it will try and go back to the selected source during quiet parts of the music. It will sound like it is cutting out. Also for some reason the radio will output the sound from the GPS as mono even though the output from the GPS is stereo. It's not even mono where the 2 channels are combined but 1 channel is thrown away, so it sounds like crap.

Sorry

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Look on page 11 of the Zumo 590 Owner's Manual. It addresses playing the MP3 media player only through a Bluetooth headset when the music can be played in good stereo quality. Combine that with what billybovine says and it looks like the radio is out. FWIW, my 590's MP3 player works fine through my Sena SMH10 headset. I personally could not see attempting to play even the radio through anything but a headset because of engine and wind noise plus being half deaf to begin with. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=billybovine;1014559...The GPS is connected to a high priority input that overrides everything else and is not a selectable source. So it will try and go back to the selected source during quiet parts of the music...[/QUOTE]

On my 2013 if I select AUX when I am playing music from my GPS it stops the music playback when direction instructions come on, then goes right back to playing music. While not stereo, it works for me. Even with my bad hearing I can hear the music through the speakers.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    On my 2013 if I select AUX when I am playing music from my GPS it stops the music playback when direction instructions come on, then goes right back to playing music. While not stereo, it works for me. Even with my bad hearing I can hear the music through the speakers.
    Something's fishy somewhere. I just tried playing my tablet, which I use for GPS, through the GPS audio input. Even with the iPod unplugged from the connector in the trunk the GPS input is not recognized when I select AUX in the audio screen. You must just be getting the audio from the GPS mp3 through the GPS input and the GPS itself is doing the override for travel instructions. The override is not being done in the audio system. It's in override mode all the time. Having AUX selected in the audio system has no affect at all. You could have FM selected and you'll still hear the GPS mp3 player.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

For AUX to work the device has to be plugged into the MP3 plug in the trunk. If your GPS is showing and controllable on the AUX screen, then someone wired it to the MP3 connector (yes it's possible) instead of the mono audio GPS input line to the radio.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    For AUX to work the device has to be plugged into the MP3 plug in the trunk. If your GPS is showing and controllable on the AUX screen, then someone wired it to the MP3 connector (yes it's possible) instead of the mono audio GPS input line to the radio.

Bob
    On my 2010 RT, I ran a stereo line from my Zumo 550 output jack to the AUX plug in the rear trunk. Since the Zumo 550 has GPS, MP3 & XM radio, that pretty well covers all I want to hear. My BRP CB overrides the AUX input.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    That doesn't square with the wiring diagram for the 2013 RT. You will notice that the GPS is wired to three AUX lines, the AUX lines to the right of the GPS in the screenshot are from the IPOD hookup. All are going into the radio.

Attached Images Attached Images

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

That doesn't square with the wiring diagram for the 2013 RT. You will notice that the GPS is wired to three AUX lines, the AUX lines to the right of the GPS in the screenshot are from the IPOD hookup. All are going into the radio.
    The AUX you are looking at is the identification of a connector, not an absolute indication of what radio function it is related to. Of the five wires coming from the GPS three go through a standard stereo mini-plug which is labeled AUX1. The other two go to a 2 pin power connector, GPS2. The five wires from those two connectors plug into connector GPS1 which is the end of the GPS harness that plugs into the radio. The iPod connects through connector AUX.

Because of the label AUX1, and because of what you wrote, I thought maybe the radio will sense when a regular audio signal is fed through AUX1 and connect to it when the radio is in AUX mode. I went out my Spyder and tried it out. AUX mode on the radio does not pick up the audio from the GPS input.

The wiring diagram does not identify which three of the seven AUX wires for the iPod are the audio signal wires. The other four are iPod control signal wires. The radio detects if all seven are being used, or only 3. That determines if the radio displays IPOD or AUX on the audio screen.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-01-2015 at 01:18 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

When I first got my Spyder the GPS would not play through the radio at all, salesman told me that I had to have bluetooth to get audio from the GPS. I contacted BRP and got a brochure from them on the entertainment system to definately prove that the GPS would play through the radio which led to them removing the panel and connecting the GPS to the mini connector as it should have been all along. My GPS plays when I am in AUX mode. My GPS is hooked up to the proper connector, not the MP3 connector.

I have dealt with wiring diagrams for quite awhile. I have never seen a connector labelled as AUX that wasn't connected to an auxiliary function. Maybe the system on your bike is not connected properly.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

At 3 minutes 20 seconds in my GPS video you will see where I tested the GPS input line.

As Waswinger said that aux label in your diagram is the connector. Trust me that the GPS input runs to a different set of radio input lines than the MP3/AUX trunk connector. And it is a mono input not stereo like the MP3/AUX connector.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

When I first got my Spyder the GPS would not play through the radio at all, salesman told me that I had to have bluetooth to get audio from the GPS. I contacted BRP and got a brochure from them on the entertainment system to definately prove that the GPS would play through the radio which led to them removing the panel and connecting the GPS to the mini connector as it should have been all along. My GPS plays when I am in AUX mode. My GPS is hooked up to the proper connector, not the MP3 connector.

I have dealt with wiring diagrams for quite awhile. I have never seen a connector labelled as AUX that wasn't connected to an auxiliary function. Maybe the system on your bike is not connected properly.
    Download this file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9z...ew?usp=sharing

Play it on your computer first so you know what it is suppose to sound like. Then copy it to your GPS and play it there.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The main point in the discussion was whether or not the GPS will play music in the aux mode. Mine has done that ever since it was hooked up properly. Seems to me that is a better setup than trying to play music from the GPS through either the AM or FM modes. I understand that playing it through Bluetooth would be true stereo, but I prefer to keep that source open for communication.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I understand that playing it through Bluetooth would be true stereo, but I prefer to keep that source open for communication.
    You also get true stereo if you play it through the iPod connector.

2014 Copper RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

"On my 2010 RT, I ran a stereo line from my Zumo 550 output jack to the AUX plug in the rear trunk. Since the Zumo 550 has GPS, MP3 & XM radio, that pretty well covers all I want to hear. My BRP CB overrides the AUX input."

how did you run the line? did you drill hole in rear trunk?

Spyder Garage

Yes the 590 will play music no it won't be in stereo go in the menu and scroll up to mp3 and Boom you got music .. oh sometimes the handle bar controls will not turn the volume down but it does work.

Spyder Garage

Bike should have came with a cable, like I pod cable.plug it into the port in the back trunk.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I removed the 660 and replaced it with a 665. The 665 is capable of XM, traffic and WX with a XM 40 antennae. The 660 is not. I interchanged only the faceplate on the cradles and plugged the XM 40 into the entertainment harness about the middle right of the gas tank on 2014 RTL. I use a Sena 10 bluetooth headset.

XM, is stereo and works great from the 665. With XM or radio and bluetooth off I get XM through the speakers. It is prioritized. XM off of course I get radio, FM or AM. I often turn off bluetooth headset and get XM through the speakers from the 665. "I don't know all I understand about this and that's OK with me". Go figure.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I also have a 550 on a BMW and it will not play stereo same as 590. I use molded ear plugs to listen to XM on this with a XM 40 antennae.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick