Spyder Garage

Default Garage Door Opener Button

Hi folks,

I just finished installing this guy:

I blame this effort on Chupaca ( Gene De Laney ). I saw his setup and said, 'I think I can do that.'

It works great; makes life easier.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I do suppose that I am now in trouble with BRP as this is not a factory option.

Attached Images Attached Images
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

A good idea. Would be nice to have it on the dash instead of the usual open the glovebox, fumble around, and then hit the opener button.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well done..!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi folks,

I blame this effort on Chupaca ( Gene De Laney ). I saw his setup and said, 'I think I can do that.'

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I do suppose that I am now in trouble with BRP as this is not a factory option.

I won't tell them....of course I am so outta warranty they would not care...it is a nice feature..congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A good idea. Would be nice to have it on the dash instead of the usual open the glovebox, fumble around, and then hit the opener button.
    I Velcroed the opener to the rear sidewall of the glove box; no fumbling, always in the same place.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

Can you share the parts that you used. I was looking to do this on my ST-L.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Hi lousd1,

Re: Can you share the parts that you used. I was looking to do this on my ST-L.

Somewhat. My son-in-law is an electrical engineer and he got the pushbutton(s) and the male-female connector(s) for me. He decided that only waterproof parts were req'd. I do not think that waterproof parts are necessary but that is your decision to make.

The male-female connector was so that things could be installed seperately & removed seperately.

I went to: https://www.liftmaster.com/?gclid=CN...FY9gfgodbywPog

and bought their Model 890MAX remote. This is because it appeared to be the smallest that would work with my garage door opener.

Liftmaster: 1-800-528-9131

I wanted small because everything behind the pushbutton lies down under the dash. I only had to remove the instrument cluster to get it all installed & secured back there. I've removed the instrument cluster before so that was easy for me.

My son-in-law tapped into the remote and brought two wires out of it to attach to the male-female connectors. He had to solder onto the circuit board on the remote; and he said it was not easy. Care is very necessary when doing this so that you do not damage the circuit board.

Here is the pushbutton(s) that he bought for me:

I do not know just what the male-female connectors are; he ordered this stuff from the internet & had it shipped directly to me.

The pushbutton requires a 15/16" hole in the dash. I drilled this by starting with a drill of about a 1/4" and working my way up. Make sure that you locate the hole for the buton such that when it is mounted that it does not interfere with the instrument cluster. Masking tape works wonders when doing the hole locate.

I put a used hand towel under the dash to capture whatever might fall back there. And do not remove it until you are completely finished. You are warned.

I simply could not get the nut that comes with the pushbutton on with trying to work under the dash with one hand on the button and ( blindly ) trying to get the nut on it. So, another trip up to the hardware store for a better nut that worked. VOILA!!!! If I were doing it again, I would find a pushbutton that snapped into place from the outside; not being a contortionist, this was possibly the most difficult part of the entire process.

Then the male-female connector(s) that he bought me would not go through the hole in the dash. So, a trip to my local electronics store for some covered spade connectors.

Also I had to make two trips to get wire that would work. The first wire was just too large to work on the male connectors on the button.

After ruining two buttons trying to solder wires on the male connectors, another trip to the electonics store for some really small female spade connectors worked after crimping them ever so slightly so they would not fall off once everything was installed under the dash.

I used a number of small nylon zip ties to hold the excess wire and the remote together so things don't bounce around under the dash & come loose.

You sure you still want to do this?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And during this entire process, the circuit board on my 1-yr old garage door opener went out. 3-4 days later & $201 ( with my senior discount ) I had the garage door opener going again. You real, real sure you want to do this?

PPS) If you have a good electronics store near you, print this all out and take it to them. You can probably buy everything but the remote from them.

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Automatic Garge Door Opener For Motorcycles

I think this was discussed before.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default 3 button remote.

Picture of a 3 button remote on my STL.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi ThreeWheels,

Re: I think this was discussed before.

When I first watched it I thought, at least no parts costs. Then I thought, that will cost way more than mine did.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

Mine is red. As far as not being a BRP option, guess you will have to turn in your BRP underwear?
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Mine is too...

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Mine is red. As far as not being a BRP option, guess you will have to turn in your BRP underwear?

I used a keyring remote and a Radio Shack button...quite easy if you can solder little wires..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi lousd1,

Re: Can you share the parts that you used. I was looking to do this on my ST-L.

Somewhat. My son-in-law is an electrical engineer and he got the pushbutton(s) and the male-female connector(s) for me. He decided that only waterproof parts were req'd. I do not think that waterproof parts are necessary but that is your decision to make.

The male-female connector was so that things could be installed seperately & removed seperately.

I went to: https://www.liftmaster.com/?gclid=CN...FY9gfgodbywPog

and bought their Model 890MAX remote. This is because it appeared to be the smallest that would work with my garage door opener.

Liftmaster: 1-800-528-9131

I wanted small because everything behind the pushbutton lies down under the dash. I only had to remove the instrument cluster to get it all installed & secured back there. I've removed the instrument cluster before so that was easy for me.

My son-in-law tapped into the remote and brought two wires out of it to attach to the male-female connectors. He had to solder onto the circuit board on the remote; and he said it was not easy. Care is very necessary when doing this so that you do not damage the circuit board.

Here is the pushbutton(s) that he bought for me:

I do not know just what the male-female connectors are; he ordered this stuff from the internet & had it shipped directly to me.

The pushbutton requires a 15/16" hole in the dash. I drilled this by starting with a drill of about a 1/4" and working my way up. Make sure that you locate the hole for the buton such that when it is mounted that it does not interfere with the instrument cluster. Masking tape works wonders when doing the hole locate.

I put a used hand towel under the dash to capture whatever might fall back there. And do not remove it until you are completely finished. You are warned.

I simply could not get the nut that comes with the pushbutton on with trying to work under the dash with one hand on the button and ( blindly ) trying to get the nut on it. So, another trip up to the hardware store for a better nut that worked. VOILA!!!! If I were doing it again, I would find a pushbutton that snapped into place from the outside; not being a contortionist, this was possibly the most difficult part of the entire process.

Then the male-female connector(s) that he bought me would not go through the hole in the dash. So, a trip to my local electronics store for some covered spade connectors.

Also I had to make two trips to get wire that would work. The first wire was just too large to work on the male connectors on the button.

After ruining two buttons trying to solder wires on the male connectors, another trip to the electonics store for some really small female spade connectors worked after crimping them ever so slightly so they would not fall off once everything was installed under the dash.

I used a number of small nylon zip ties to hold the excess wire and the remote together so things don't bounce around under the dash & come loose.

You sure you still want to do this?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And during this entire process, the circuit board on my 1-yr old garage door opener went out. 3-4 days later & $201 ( with my senior discount ) I had the garage door opener going again. You real, real sure you want to do this?

PPS) If you have a good electronics store near you, print this all out and take it to them. You can probably buy everything but the remote from them.
    Thanks for the details. I will look into it when I get some spare time. Looks like a clean install.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Hi lousd1,

Re: Thanks for the details.

I just noticed that you are in Palmdale; I was stationed at Edwards from Jul '60 to Aug '61.

HOT!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I Velcroed the opener to the rear sidewall of the glove box; no fumbling, always in the same place.

Ditto. Works very well for me. And if I need to change rides, just pull it out and go

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an F3S without a glove compartment and installed the "Flash2Pass" system to my fog light button I've used on my other bikes. Works like a champ! Here is the link:

http://www.f2ptechnologies.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default My favorite

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I think this was discussed before.

I velcro'd an single door opener in front of the gauge cluster. No $ charge--works great--all my cars/suvs have openers already wired in.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may be low-tech; but it works!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black