Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sitting on a Spyder without asking? Anyone have this problem?

A few friends have mentioned that this has happened to them. They walk out of a store and someone is sitting on their Spyder snapping away with their phone. Is there a way to prevent people from sitting on a Spyder when the owner isn't around? If you have had a similar experience leave your story here if possible!

Spyder Garage

It is a problem. If you figure out how to cure it (In a humane way) let us know.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fonite View Post
    A few friends have mentioned that this has happened to them. They walk out of a store and someone is sitting on their Spyder snapping away with their phone. Is there a way to prevent people from sitting on a Spyder when the owner isn't around? If you have had a similar experience leave your story here if possible!
    There is an unwriten law in the motorcycle world, "You don't sit on a rider's bike without asking". I'm sure this applies to trikes as well. If I ever come out of a store and find someone sitting on my bike (Spyder) it could turn very violent, very quickly.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Had this happen to me once. I asked the guy where his car was. He pointed it out to me and I went and sat on the hood of his very expensive Lexus. Boy was he pissed! I pointed out that it was no different from him sitting on my Spyder, and that kinda took the wind out of his sails. I would have rather punched his lights out, but my darling bride advised me that I really would not want to get arrested. I now have a "sunscreen" that I got from Spyder Sisters, and it not only keeps idiots from sitting on my Spyder, it has the added benefit of keeping the seat from baking in the sun. Check 'em out.

http://www.spydersisters.com/
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    There is an unwriten law in the motorcycle world, "You don't sit on a rider's bike without asking". I'm sure this applies to trikes as well. If I ever come out of a store and find someone sitting on my bike (Spyder) it could turn very violent, very quickly.

Pam

This never happened to me so far, but if it did I would not be very pleased and would probably use some very colorful language
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Make a laminated sign with an end that could tuck under the front of the seat and says, "Sitting on this machine could result in very unpleasant consequences."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Solving of the problem is a difficult issue. To start with, there is a bona fide idiot sitting on your from the start. How to deal with an idiot? That's is the $64 question.

I had to go out of a restaurant and tell a small kid to get off mine one time. I also gave the mother who was standing by a talking to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It has happened to me. I have a seat sun shade (spydersisters) and a Scorpio i900 alarm with an proximity sensor. That solved the problem.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-29-2015 at 12:44 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

My solution was to make this and stick it over the safety card, then leave the safety card out when parked. I've seen people walk up to the Spyder, read it and take a quick step back:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

A seat cover is probably the only sure fire way to prevent this. I will lock my handlebars which may deter some since the bars are in the way for an easy mount. We were eating in a Chinese restaurant last year and there were 2 tour buses of Chinese eating there. I look out to see a guy sitting on my Spyder, I go out and confront him and while he is backing away I see a woman leaning on my trailer getting her picture taken.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If someone wants to sit on my they would have to remove my jacket and helmet off the seat first. I have a wired headset so they would have to deal with the cord. A person would have to be a true a**hole to go to the trouble it would take to sit on my bike. So far after nine years with the Goldwing and the Spyder I've not lost a jacket or helmet. Could happen I know, but so far hasn't.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Thing is....

bikes are a bit harder seeing that people don't put them on the center stand ( if they have them) so getting on them is risky at best. The trikes are on solid ground so no problem with falling over. The best solution (price and easewise) is the pull over covers. They stretch over from back to front serve as a rain and sun shade but make it tough to get on for the photo op...these are not half covers check allthingsthree.com Dennis makes some you might find usefull...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    bikes are a bit harder seeing that people don't put them on the center stand ( if they have them) so getting on them is risky at best. The trikes are on solid ground so no problem with falling over. The best solution (price and easewise) is the pull over covers. They stretch over from back to front serve as a rain and sun shade but make it tough to get on for the photo op...these are not half covers check allthingsthree.com Dennis makes some you might find usefull...[emoji106]
    His website isn't really working on my phone. 😌 I don't see any links, pictures or prices... Maybe I'm just too stupid or I'll have to check it out on my Desktop.
    Do you know where in SoCal he is located? I'll be in San Diego (Chula Vista) in one week.

Spyder Garage

Default Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a problem. If you figure out how to cure it (In a humane way) let us know.

One way or another
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Criminal mischief

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/6/45-6-101.htmifyou catch them, dont try to take a pic just get cops. Not a 911 matter local security if @ store or something
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have

I was car shopping with my wife, so we took the Spyder instead of her car. At one dealership we were inside talking to a salesman when I saw two men sitting on my Spyder taking selfies. I asked the salesman if he knew them? and he said one is the sales manager, and the other was finance manager. I told him that your sales and finance managers just cost him a customer, as I explained how it is rude to sit on someones bike. He tried to explain how in the car sales business it is common to get into cars, checking them out, so they don't think anything about it. When I walked back to my bike as my wife and I put our gear on I told them that the salesman wanted to talk to them.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Sure..!!

F
    Quote Originally Posted by Wippi01 View Post
    His website isn't really working on my phone. �� I don't see any links, pictures or prices... Maybe I'm just too stupid or I'll have to check it out on my Desktop.
    Do you know where in SoCal he is located? I'll be in San Diego (Chula Vista) in one week.
    He is at 140 E whittier blvd, Brea CA 92822...phone ahead (714) 749.3766 talk to Dennis and tell him Gene sent you. Spyder Ryder of America..
    Let me know when your here..I am in El Cajon very close to Chula Vista if you need anything...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 07-29-2015 at 01:10 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I rode up to Home Depot last Sunday and when we came out there was some guy looking like he was about to put his hands on the trunk. I was about 50 feet away from him and told him he better get his f#@%*n hands off my bike. He ran to his car and took off. I have had many people ask to sit on the Beast and if they ask nicely, I accompany them to the bike and let them. Then they ask for a ride and that is where I draw the line.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I was car shopping with my wife, so we took the Spyder instead of her car. At one dealership we were inside talking to a salesman when I saw two men sitting on my Spyder taking selfies. I asked the salesman if he knew them? and he said one is the sales manager, and the other was finance manager. I told him that your sales and finance managers just cost him a customer, as I explained how it is rude to sit on someones bike. He tried to explain how in the car sales business it is common to get into cars, checking them out, so they don't think anything about it. When I walked back to my bike as my wife and I put our gear on I told them that the salesman wanted to talk to them.
    What you did and said was no doubt acceptable, myself if they had a car there I wanted to buy, I would have pushed the issue for a much better deal. I am sure the General manager may have liked to have had a word with them...

PK

Spyder Garage

I have a cover that goes from handlebars to trunk rack to keep the seat clean and dry and keep people OFF. I also have an alarm.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

I wonder if the flip down sign should say "security by tesla" but folks probably wouldn't get it. Perhaps "security by smith and Wesson; stay off!"?
    Rawhide Kid
    2014 Spyder RT Limited. Cognac
    Goodyear, AZ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also use the Spyder Sisters seat cover...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...But this works also!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

take the oldest pair of undies you own.. smear a large dab of peanut butter on a strategic spot on them .. place the undies on the seat of your spyder.... no one will even come within 5 ft of it... ...

osm