Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY PISSED OFF

2011 SPYDER RTS WITH 6800 MILES
    TOOK A RIDE TONIGHT.
    CRUSING AT ABOUT 85 IN 5TH GEAR WITH THE CRUISE ON
    .... E... CAME ON IN THE DIGITAL AREA WHERE THE GEAR IS NORMALLY DISPLAYED.

N AND R WHERE ALSO STARTED FLASHING IN THE ANALOG SPEDOMETER.
    ENGINE KEPT RUNNING FINE ON THE WAY HOME PUSHED 70+ A COUPLE OF TIMES ON THE WAY HOME JUST BECAUSE IM STUPID.
    KEPT AN EYE ON THE ENGINE TEMP RAN A LITTLE HOTTER ONE MARK PAST HALFWAY USUALLY STAYS CLOSE TO HALFWAY AND I FELT EXTRA HEAT ON MY RIGHT LEG.
    LET IT COOL OFF IN THE DRIVEWAY .
    STARTED BACK UP AND ALL SEEMS OK

JUST CHECKED THE OIL VERY THIN LIKE WATER
    MUST BE ANTIFREEZE
    NOW WHAT !!
    AN ENGINE REBUILD AT 6800 MILES WITHOUT WARRANTY
    I HAVE MY BIKE SERVICED AT A LOCAL DEALER, OIL WAS CHANGED LAST MONTH, ALL FLUIDS WERE REPLACED BY DEALER LAST YEAR ALSO.
    I HAD ALSO CHECKED THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL 2 WEEKS AGO AND THAT WAS FINE.
    THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CAN AM PHONE NUMBER?
    I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER.

THANKS!!

PISSED

CRAIG

Spyder Garage

A lot of good people answered your post yesterday and correctly diagnosed your problem as a problem with the Gear Position Sensor. There is likely nothing wrong with the temp or antifreeze in the oil. If you don't believe us take it to your dealer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A lot of good people answered your post yesterday and correctly diagnosed your problem as a problem with the Gear Position Sensor. There is likely nothing wrong with the temp or antifreeze in the oil. If you don't believe us take it to your dealer.
    I SMELL ANTIFREEZE AND THE OIL IS AMOST CLEAR AN DRIPS LIKE WATER OFF THE DIP STICK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SPYDERRT View Post
    I SMELL ANTIFREEZE AND THE OIL IS AMOST CLEAR AN DRIPS LIKE WATER OFF THE DIP STICK
    If there is antifreeze in the oil. The oil should look whitish?
    What is the level of the coolant in the reservoir?
    Coolant leaking into the oil is so rare I don't remember anyone else posting with that problem. So sorry I am skeptical.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You said you checked coolant two weeks ago and it was fine. Now you think you have a coolant leak, yet you never mention checking it again.

If there is coolant in your oil it will look milky white. If you check the oil with the bike still hot, it will appear pretty thin. That's called viscosity, and the oil gets thinner when hot.

The only real issue you may have is a failing gear position sensor. The rest of the problems you think you have, you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Are you missing antifreeze? Quit guessing, take an oil sample and have it analysed. Oil and antifreeze will not mix. You may bash BRP and Rotax power plants if you wish...but, they produce world class motors of the highest quality. Don't take my word, do your own research.

Spyder Garage

Default Water in the oil....??

about the only way for that to happen is a blown head gasket for which you would have gotten more lights than an E....Your coolant level should be way down and your engine overheating big time. Now if you want to get brp involved take it to the dealer so they can confirm and you can have them get you in touch or at least help you with diagnostics...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    about the only way for that to happen is a blown head gasket for which you would have gotten more lights than an E....Your coolant level should be way down and your engine overheating big time. Now if you want to get brp involved take it to the dealer so they can confirm and you can have them get you in touch or at least help you with diagnostics...
    ALSO GOT N AND R FLASHING AT THE SAME TIME AS E AS I MENTIONED IN THE ORIGINAL POST
    I WILL CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL IN THE MORNING
    BUT I KNOW WHAT ANTIFREEZE SMELLS LIKE AND I CHECK THE OIL REGULARLY WHEN THE BIKE IS HOT AND IT HAD BUBBLES ON THE DIPSTICK ALMOST CLEAR AND WATERY

Spyder Garage

Looks like a chocolate milkshake not clear!

Spyder Garage

Don't be crying WOLF if there isn't a WOLF in site. Just take your bike to dealer to verify or not.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

From your post above: "THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER."

IMO: A bit early to go on a rant about the product or the company. Have seen a lot of people post that they drive that speed all day with no problems.

You have received good advice in both of your threads. The hard part is the working through the suggestions. Don't cut ties with the dealer at this point in time over this. You may need them to go to bat for you with BRP. Another word of advice, don't talk about lawyering up. You will be treated "special" after that.

Hope this does work out all right and that the fix is not to drastic. Please do keep us posted as you work through this.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    From your post above: "THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER."

IMO: A bit early to go on a rant about the product or the company. Have seen a lot of people post that they drive that speed all day with no problems.

You have received good advice in both of your threads. The hard part is the working through the suggestions. Don't cut ties with the dealer at this point in time over this. You may need them to go to bat for you with BRP. Another word of advice, don't talk about lawyering up. You will be treated "special" after that.

Hope this does work out all right and that the fix is not to drastic. Please do keep us posted as you work through this.
    THANKS FOR YOUR POST. MY DEALER IS ALMOST 15 MILES AWAY. HOPE YOUR ALL RIGHT AND I DON'T GET STUCK
    Last edited by BLACK SPYDERRT; 07-25-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

THANKS FOR YOUR POST. MY DEALER IS ALMOST 15 MILES AWAY. HOPE YOUR ALL RIGHT AND I DON'T GET STUCK

FYI in Internet land ALL CAPS mean you are shouting, I understand that you are pissed, but take a Vicodin and get some control, **** happens, you are ether covered by a warranty, or you are not, and you will write a check. Since most of use are over 60, and if this is the first crap that has happened to you so far in life, consider yourself lucky. Most of us have had a lot of crap in their lives and have learned to deal with what you can control and get out of the way of what you can't.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

MY DEALER IS ALMOST 15 MILES AWAY. HOPE YOUR ALL RIGHT AND I DON'T GET STUCK
    You're fortunate! Compared to how far most Spyder owners have to travel to get to a dealer yours is same as across the street! Take a sample of oil out of the tank and let it set in a clear jar for a day or two. If there's antifreeze in it it'll settle to the bottom and you can clearly see the difference between the oil and water.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ALSO GOT N AND R FLASHING AT THE SAME TIME AS E AS I MENTIONED IN THE ORIGINAL POST
    I WILL CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL IN THE MORNING
    BUT I KNOW WHAT ANTIFREEZE SMELLS LIKE AND I CHECK THE OIL REGULARLY WHEN THE BIKE IS HOT AND IT HAD BUBBLES ON THE DIPSTICK ALMOST CLEAR AND WATERY
    Does you radiator have oil in it? If you have a blown head gasket you would likely have oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. Bubbles on the dipstick is not unusual and you should let the bike idle for 30 seconds or so to let the bubbles subside before you check it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you need to slow down to a safe speed limit.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I had the same indicators on the display it was caused by my bike wash I got water in the conectors I let it dry the problem when away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Maybe you need to slow down to a safe speed limit.
    Sorry... I don't see this as helpful...

The entire "EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS"... can seem a bit "loud" for some of us...
    Let's work the problem, and see what is found.
    Take it one step at a time, and let us know what you find; good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gear Position Sensor

Had the same problem 2 weeks ago,. Took the bike to the dealer and they discovered an oil leak from the seal in the water pump. Oil was therefore a little low causing a problem with the gear position indicator. They replaced the leaking seal and no problem since then. They even cleaned all the bugs off the bike. This seal was replaced just over a year ago when the bike was still under warranty, but BRP said the seals they used were poor and they are now using a better quality seal. They didn't even charge me the $50.00 deductible under the B.E.S.T. warranty. Thanks BRP and Walt's Sales and Service in Derby, VT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Red RT-S View Post
    Had the same problem 2 weeks ago,. Took the bike to the dealer and they discovered an oil leak from the seal in the water pump. Oil was therefore a little low causing a problem with the gear position indicator. They replaced the leaking seal and no problem since then. They even cleaned all the bugs off the bike. This seal was replaced just over a year ago when the bike was still under warranty, but BRP said the seals they used were poor and they are now using a better quality seal. They didn't even charge me the $50.00 deductible under the B.E.S.T. warranty. Thanks BRP and Walt's Sales and Service in Derby, VT.

thanks for your post
    checked the antifreeze level this morning
    had filled it to the max line 2 weeks ago and it is empty now
    checked the oil again smells like antifreeze
    poured some out of the brp oil i have no smell
    i should probably have them pick up the bike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you think the anti freeze is going in the oil the oil level should go up roughly the amount the coolant goes down. The oil would probably not be thin but tan and milkshake looking. You may just have a loose clamp or a cracked coolant bottle. Good luck with the repairs.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have antifreeze in the oil you would know it, and it wouldn't be bubbles and smell. It looks like a milkshake.
    Bubbles are normal as the oil agitates. Thin oil when hot is normal. 5 bars (one over half) is normal.
    Sounds like you've got a coolant leak somewhere if your smelling it and are low, but its not mixing with the oil from what your describing. Scream on...
    Here is a pick of coolant mixed with oil...uploadfromtaptalk1437926144223.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scary-looking; but informative!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    If you have antifreeze in the oil you would know it, and it wouldn't be bubbles and smell. It looks like a milkshake.
    Bubbles are normal as the oil agitates. Thin oil when hot is normal. 5 bars (one over half) is normal.
    Sounds like you've got a coolant leak somewhere if your smelling it and are low, but its not mixing with the oil from what your describing. Scream on...
    Here is a pick of coolant mixed with oil...uploadfromtaptalk1437926144223.jpg
    Thanks for the pic..

Spyder Garage

Default Map Sensor

I had the same symptoms in terms of lights flashing and the problem was a faulty map (sp?) sensor. One shop replaced the sensor but not the vacuum hoses attached to it. Had same symptoms again and another dealer replaced the vacuum lines to the sensor. While the hoses looked OK with no cracks, the ends were brittle and did not seal so the sensor was losing vacuum.