Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First Extended Ryde - Awesome!

So, I just completed my first “extended” ride on my F3S. 6 days/1400+ miles….Northern VA to Charlotte NC and then in and around the Great Smokie Mountains and up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mountain roads, back roads, and interstate. The beast handled the trip quite nicely. Storage was sufficient for me using the OEM saddle bags, the frunk and a Cortech seat bag…even had room to purchased stuff along the way. While the OEM bags leaked a bit during a massive rain event (which BTW, she handles the rain quite well and will hydro-plane like any vehicle, yes…I did a few times due to, um…excessive speed) they held up quite nicely…and I had packed using water proof bags like any experienced biker would do. I did have trouble with the lock and getting the key inserted after the rains…..once I lubed them, they worked fine. Still not impressed with the locks though. As for the Blue Ridge shield, worked like a champ. I wear a Full Face helmet when I am on doing any extended ryding as you just never now what the weather will be, what road debris will kick up from the interstate and needed the music provided by in-helmet speakers. Seating comfort after 8+ hour days was awesome. Floorboards were awesome. Cruise control was a God send on the interstate and I could drive with just the tips of my fingers on the handle bars at time….even tried a “look ma, no hands” for a second or two…just to see how smooth a ryde she is…and I have never done that laser thing. Avg MPG was around 35. Lots of looks and comments….mainly from kids!

The one downside…on or about day 4, I noticed an odd sound when slowly coming to a stop. It seems as though something is out of balance. The sound is a wobbling sound. While the bike does not wobble side to side, the sound is wobbling. You cannot notice it or hear it at speed for obvious reasons….but I need to get it looked at quick. I’m about 150 miles away from my first 3000 checkup.

BTL, the F3 is a wonderful machine and for me (I’m 6’2” 235 lbs) she fits like a glove, rydes like a dream (accept that wobble now, LOL!) and all the pokes about storage, the windshield and the bags…well….not my issue….now if I ever do a trip two-up with the wife, that’s another story…..LOL!

Spyder Garage

Its such a relief that you did not once mention the word "vibration"
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new F3.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rattles

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    LOL! Yeah, I have the vibrations just like many others...and yes, I suppose I could put one of them tension thingy's on it....but my remedy is cheaper, no maintenance, and much more fun....I just twist the throttle! If it happens when I'm in cruise control mode and it does (67-69 is a common speed)...again, just a couple clicks north (or south if Smoky is around) on the button takes care of it....maybe BRP will acknowledge it some day and put out a "real" fix, until then....Scotty will be giving her more power!

Spyder Garage

I absolutely agree with Darren. So refreshing to finally read a post without the omnipresent vibration / windshield / leaking saddlebags / etc. complaining.
    AWESOME!
    That's the way to enjoy life (and the F3)...
    Ryde on, Wardawg!

Spyder Garage

Default I just took my first long trip too

I just got back from the Deadwood, SD 3 wheeler rally. I put about 1200 miles in 9 hours of riding on Wednesday, 10 hours on Thursday, 7 hours on Friday, 6 hours on Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday. Have to say that I find the F3-S more comfortable for those hours than I found my RT, and that surprises me a bit, but in a good way!

I was able to pack everything I needed for the long weekend into just the OEM saddlebags and didn't feel the need to bring my top case. I think I could have brought everything back in the saddlebags, but instead of packing them to the gills, I used the cargo net to strap one of the rally goody bags onto the urban rack with the goodies, my Teva sandels and a jacket inside it.

I had no issues with the F3 and thoroughly enjoyed the rally. It's a great location and the folks who set it up did a great job. If you get a chance to go in the future, I recommend it.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default oh darn....

Quote Originally Posted by Wippi01 View Post
    I absolutely agree with Darren. So refreshing to finally read a post without the omnipresent vibration / windshield / leaking saddlebags / etc. complaining.
    AWESOME!
    That's the way to enjoy life (and the F3)...
    Ryde on, Wardawg!
    no more bit...g, moaning, groaning, whining? whats one supposed to do? ah, yeah, the road is calling...

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry

Vondalyn
    I just have to do this Sorry.
    You rode 1200 in 30 hours?

Bought my F3 from Len, Pitbull's
    Springfield Mo. to Green Valley Az 2 days 1250 miles is was a blast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Vondalyn
    I just have to do this Sorry.
    You rode 1200 in 30 hours?

Bought my F3 from Len, Pitbull's
    Springfield Mo. to Green Valley Az 2 days 1250 miles is was a blast.
    yep!
    about 424 miles from my house in CO to Deadwood (through NE which was a mistake because of the grasshoppers that I still haven't completely gotten out of the grill) and about 360 back home through WY. The rest of the miles were put on in the black hills. I did Needles Highway and Iron Mtn Road 3 times each, as well as a lot of other roads in the area.
    Last edited by vondalyn; 07-20-2015 at 04:50 PM.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

you had such a good experience on a long trip. Nice to know the F3 works well for this and the storage oem is enough for a solo ryder... glad your back safe and sound..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    yep!
    about 424 miles from my house in CO to Deadwood (through NE which was a mistake because of the grasshoppers that I still haven't completely gotten out of the grill) and about 360 back home through WY. The rest of the miles were put on in the black hills. I did Needles Highway and Iron Mtn Road 3 times each, as well as a lot of other roads in the area.
    What kind of windshield?
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
    What kind of windshield?
    I have a BRP blue ridge with the x-creen tour clamp-on set up with a single hinge at the moment. I might try the double-hinge setup, but the single hinge is working for me, so maybe not.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post

That word alone guarantees 2000 thread views. That and 'gear'
    2019 Rally , Black