Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to wear?

Spyder Garage

Default What to wear?

It's 98 degrees here in Texas. What are you wearing in the heat that let's you be protected from a slide? We are always wearing helmets and We have just bought some neon yellow mesh jackets. What about pants? I am a big fan of "plan for the worst and hope for the best but we don't want to melt either! Does anyone just wear shorts and t shirts?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No shorts and t-shirts ...All gear all the time. And I am in AZ! I wear my mesh jacket, gloves, helmet and motorcycle jeans. All Gear All The Time, will protect you from road rash. Can't plan for what the other vehicles are going to do, because most non motorcycle drivers never consider the bikes. Please be safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Mesh gloves, mesh jacket, jeans or shorts with a mesh pants, full face helmet.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have BRP mesh pants. I wear them over shorts if it is really hot. Also I wear Heat Out undies.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I wear jeans and a long sleeve light weight, shirt to protect me from the sun. I wear gloves in the winter to keep my hands warm, but none in the summer. Just don't wear shorts, that's really stupid.... the heat from the engine will fry your legs if they aren't protected.

I've been riding 38 years without crashing, I'm not going to let paranoia ruin my ride. If all you can think about is crashing, you shouldn't be riding.

Just be careful, stay trained, enjoy the ride.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Way to go Pampurs! My feeling exactly been on 2 wheels since 1945 when I had a Cushman to get to work!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Way to go Pampurs! My feeling exactly been on 2 wheels since 1945 when I had a Cushman to get to work!
    Oh I remember those Cushmans. A lot of the boys in my neighborhood had those. One of my best guy friends had a Cushman Eagle that he let me ride around the neighborhood. We didn't worry about mesh jackets or crash helmets, we just had fun! That's how I got hooked on motorcycles!

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Default Be prepared

but comfortable. Having had the odd accident I have found good gear is the best. I wear jeans or firehose pants solid lace on shoes (can no longer wear boots ) gloves without rivets (don't ask) a longsleeve shirt and leather vest with heat out under garments. Winter armored jacket heated liner and gloves...it does get cold in the mountains in CA...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Gear

Go to :http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
    I am a big believer in First Gear products I have the MESH jacket and pants with armor
    they are the best keeps you cool in the hot weather, Over the 4th. of July I rode up to
    Lake Tahoe it was 98 when I left the house and it was 104 going up hwy 49 to hwy 50
    I was just fine. I will tell you, go and invest in some AIR WINGS they are super you can direct
    the air on to you or off, that and a cool bottle of H2o are all you need
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 07-20-2015 at 12:47 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

91 here yesterday, and HUMID!
    Not quite in the same League as the furnace that you're in... but interesting enough!
    Mesh jacket... modular helmet... Diamond Gussett Kevlar jeans!
    My Missus didn't see my logic, so she only wore shorts, sandals and a tee-shirt. The Sun COOKED her

Lesson Learned!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel53 View Post
    It's 98 degrees here in Texas. What are you wearing in the heat that let's you be protected from a slide? We are always wearing helmets and We have just bought some neon yellow mesh jackets. What about pants? I am a big fan of "plan for the worst and hope for the best but we don't want to melt either! Does anyone just wear shorts and t shirts?

? Do you "slide" if, God forbid, you have an accident on a spyder viz. a viz. a two wheeler?

​Chris

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear shorts and a tee shirt all the time, and so does my wife. Occasionally flip flops if im not riding the twisties aggressively. The choice is yours depending on what your comfortable with as far as risk goes.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

? Do you "slide" if, God forbid, you have an accident on a spyder viz. a viz. a two wheeler?
    Since I'm an "Olphart" who knows it; I'm aware of physical limitations that used to never exist.
    It's better to be prepared for the problem; than NOT to be!
    Actually; the safety gear helps to keep the Sun off of me. I am usually far less-bothered by the heat on a hot, sunny day; than folks riding as if they're ready for the beach.

But you are right; it's your hide; and your choice!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you think its hot riding... try sliding on the asphalt .. skin grafts start at $10,000.00

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mesh jacket and FF helmet. I feel that I am much safer on my trikes than I was on my two wheelers....not from cages, but gravel, oil on the road, etc. Hmmm, as I get older, the heat and cold bothers me more than when I was younger. Not to get of the subject, but my trike saved me from a serious accident when a cage came into my lane and it was him or the ditch.....I took to the bumpy ditch and rode back onto the road....on two wheels I know I would still be in that ditch.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Since it is always about 78 degrees with low humidity here in south part of the Texas Hill Country, I wear cowboy boots, jeans and a black tee shirt (I do wear a helmet). The black tee shirt is necessary to mask food stains and such. Nothing more tacky than bbq sauce or hot sauce stains on your belly in a light colored tee. I have been riding over 45 years and this is pretty much me.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOT WEATHER CLOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I wear jeans and a long sleeve light weight, shirt to protect me from the sun. I wear gloves in the winter to keep my hands warm, but none in the summer. Just don't wear shorts, that's really stupid.... the heat from the engine will fry your legs if they aren't protected.

I've been riding 38 years without crashing, I'm not going to let paranoia ruin my ride. If all you can think about is crashing, you shouldn't be riding.

Just be careful, stay trained, enjoy the ride.

Pam
    ..................IMHO....if you manage to slide your Spyder........ROAD RASH , is going to be the least of your problems..................in fact a very good Life Insurance policy would be better protection all things considered....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Since it is always about 78 degrees with low humidity here in south part of the Texas Hill Country, I wear cowboy boots, jeans and a black tee shirt (I do wear a helmet). The black tee shirt is necessary to mask food stains and such. Nothing more tacky than bbq sauce or hot sauce stains on your belly in a light colored tee. I have been riding over 45 years and this is pretty much me.
    CuznJohn once mentioned that he prefers a light pullover...

Who am I to judge??

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cooling Vest

In addition to full face helmet and Jacket and riding pants and boots, we invested in cooling vests by Revit. I soak them in water, ring them out just a bit, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge over night, then in a cooler that fits in the frunk. When it gets warm, 98 on Saturday, we put them on and open the zipper on the jacket along with all of the vents. I can honestly say that it feels like you are in an air-conditioned car driving down the road. At any point you can recharge the vest by stopping and soaking it again and you are good to go.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default NO SHORTS, T-SHIRTS OR FLIP-FLOP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    In addition to full face helmet and Jacket and riding pants and boots, we invested in cooling vests by Revit. I soak them in water, ring them out just a bit, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge over night, then in a cooler that fits in the frunk. When it gets warm, 98 on Saturday, we put them on and open the zipper on the jacket along with all of the vents. I can honestly say that it feels like you are in an air-conditioned car driving down the road. At any point you can recharge the vest by stopping and soaking it again and you are good to go.
    I've been riding since 1951, and I can tell you that that light weight, feel good kind of gear will kill you, or at least break you up! The other comments make VERY good sense. I always wear a combination of protective gear. Luckily, I've only had one crash (low sider) in all those years, but it put me in the E.R for a week, and broke 7 ribs, one finger, concussion and road rash from the slide down the pave).
    CapNCrunch := )

Spyder Garage

I will address the gear question rather than the safety issues.

On the safety side I will say, helmet, gloves, and boots are always with me.

The best hot weather gear (temp wise) is mesh. Jackets and pants are available from a wide number of suppliers.

When it is hot here (high 60's or more), out comes the mesh jacket. Don't have the mesh pants.

Kevlar jeans are good. I just recently found Carhart jeans. They have an extra layer of material sewn and riveted to the outside of both legs. Cost here, about $50 per pair--that's about half the price of a pair of Kevlar. The come in denim color, Carhart brown, khaki, grey, and green.

Once I get tired of the Kevlar--I think I am going to be a Carhart person--for the warm/hot weather jeans.

I try to ride aware and also try to avoid being involved in that crash that will result in "ejection." For me, were that to happen, am guessing it will be farewell. Don't fret, I will have left enjoying what I was doing to the end.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-20-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just a note

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    I've been riding since 1951, and I can tell you that that light weight, feel good kind of gear will kill you, or at least break you up! The other comments make VERY good sense. I always wear a combination of protective gear. Luckily, I've only had one crash (low sider) in all those years, but it put me in the E.R for a week, and broke 7 ribs, one finger, concussion and road rash from the slide down the pave).
    Just to clarify, I am wearing fully armored jacket and pants with the cooling vest under the jacket. The vents in the jacket allow for the evaporative cooling effect of the vest.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    Whenever I see someone riding a motorcycle wearing shorts and flip flops or deck shoes, I just have to shake my head and go, "What a friggin' idiot". I won't even give them the "wave of respect".

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 07-20-2015 at 12:54 PM.

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Whenever I see someone riding a motorcycle wearing shorts and flip flops or deck shoes, I just have to shake my head and go, "What a friggin' idiot". I won't even give them the "wave of respect".

Pam
    If you go to Hawaii, they all do it. When I put on a half helmet (all that was available from the rental dealer), my gloves, boots, jeans, and mesh jacket, I both felt and looked out of place. The jacket came off in the PM--it was over 100 that day. My aloha shirt looked pretty flapping in the breeze though. We ended up on the Hana Hwy for most of our trip--speeds at 25 or much less depending on location. Ever drove 50 miles in just first gear?

Parked in front of the Hana Post Office, Hana, Maui, HI
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-20-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Also I wear Heat Out undies.
    Thanks for Sharing!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets