Spyder Garage

Default Badboy horn/ Stereo plug? / VKEY

Where is a location to put a Badboy Horn on a 2015 RTS? On my 2010 RT, I had it under the right front fender. Since the RTS has foglights, I can't mount it under a fender.

Also, there is a stereo headphone type plug zip tied to the back top corner of the fuel tank. What is it's purposed? What does it plug into?

Would anyone know where the 'VKEY DC12 Front Assembly Plug' be located? I need to tap into the purple wire with a yellow stripe (VT/YE)? I need this to operate the solenoid on a FuzeBox when I turn on the switch.

Thanks for any help!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can only address the horn location. The old horn is located on the left side behind the tupperware (in front of the floorboard). Most people are mounting their new horns in the same spot, on the same mounting bolt.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

possible under the left side cover and you can hook the horn direct to your existing horn wires..I don't have any problems with mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I can only address the horn location. The old horn is located on the left side behind the tupperware (in front of the floorboard). Most people are mounting their new horns in the same spot, on the same mounting bolt.
    It makes everything MUCH simpler!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Where is a location to put a Badboy Horn on a 2015 RTS? On my 2010 RT, I had it under the right front fender. Since the RTS has foglights, I can't mount it under a fender.

Also, there is a stereo headphone type plug zip tied to the back top corner of the fuel tank. What is it's purposed? What does it plug into? This is for the GPS audio input to the radio.

Would anyone know where the 'VKEY DC12 Front Assembly Plug' be located? I need to tap into the purple wire with a yellow stripe (VT/YE)? I need this to operate the solenoid on a FuzeBox when I turn on the switch. Trunk has to come off to get to the connector you are looking for.

Thanks for any help!

Another easier source of key-on 12vdc is to tap into the single red wire for the lamp power for the analog fuel gauge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The front assembly plug is also where I tied into for a trigger wire for my Fuze block. However, I did not have to remove the frunk to get to it (2015 RT-S). The hole in the Frunk whre this accessory would be mounted, if installed, is in the upper right hand area of the Frunk. I pulled the rubber plug out and fished around with my finger and was able to pull the connectors out through the hole. The connectors are female spade connectors. My records say the the hot lead was a multi colored / striped wire (not a red one). I used a positap connector for the 3 amp trigger wire connection.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Gee Doc, that looks like a disassembler Terminator with one eye! Arnold would be proud.

Thanks y'all for the tips! I was wanting to keep the original horn on the bike so there would be a horn with the key off, but that may not be possible space wise. It's the way I had the 2010 RT set up. A horn on each side.
    Double your (horn) pleasure, double your fun.

Spyder Garage

Default Use a Horn Relay?

Where ever you decide to put the horn, I'd consider using a relay despite the fact that many report it works fine without it.

Before I added a Wolo Bad Boy air horn on my 2013 RTL, I took a look at the electrical diagram in the shop manual. On the 2013 RT, there is a 20 amp fuse which feeds the following components... the horn, the fog lights, the auto suspension system (ASC), the front heated grips, and the rear heated grips. The horn is directly fed from the fuse, and all those other supposedly non-essential components are fed through a "load shedding relay" (after the horn), that (if it worked properly) should perform the function of temporarily shutting them down if the circuit got overloaded. I also looked at the 2014 diagram, and it was the same, except that they had raised the fuse from 20 to 25 amps. The 2015 is probably the same as 2014.

Sure, it's unlikely that all that stuff would be on at the same time, but why depend on that load shedding relay, when a horn relay is so easy to install? Also, it would allow you to keep the old horn in the circuit, if you wanted to. Here's a diagram for the horn relay...

Last edited by robmorg; 07-19-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

My bad boy horn is installed on my 2014 RTL on the left front, behind the cover panel where the earlier RT you would check the oil level. It is very loud. I scared the blank, blank out of a driver who cut over in front of me on the freeway.

Spyder Garage

I removed the old horn. I found a 3" 'U' pipe clamp and removed the flat piece of it. Bent it 90° about 1/3 rd from the end. Attached the BadBoy to one end and the other to the original mounting point. I faces slightly down to keep water out of it. The horn opening faces forward.
    I will look at putting a reply in the circuit, as that's a good idea.
    I also had to add some short jumpers as the Spyder's horn wiring was too short or the BadBoy is too long?

Spyder Garage

When I replaced the horn on my 2010 RT, I got tired of trying to place it in the same place as the old one (BIG HANDS, tight spot), so I abandoned that location altogether & zip-tied it in a spot behind the left headlight. Wires were easy to run to that place since I was adding a relay anyway.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

That audio jack you found is for the GPS. There is a 12V switched power plug for the GPS there too.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DOOR #2

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post

Also, there is a stereo headphone type plug zip tied to the back top corner of the fuel tank. What is it's purposed? What does it plug into?

Would anyone know where the 'VKEY DC12 Front Assembly Plug' be located? I need to tap into the purple wire with a yellow stripe (VT/YE)? I need this to operate the solenoid on a FuzeBox when I turn on the switch.

Thanks for any help!
    # 2.......STEREO TYPE PLUG...On my 14 I received two...one for am MP-3 player and one for an I-POD 4 ( or earlier )..........I alos stripped this out of the harness and brought it forward and connected it thru the right side of the glove box......I then made a metal platform that I can slide next to the glove box for my MP-3 player so it's out-side if I want.........Mike