Thread: Trailer modules

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer modules

I keep blowing modules, any reason why?

Spyder Garage

I took the goof proof route. Run a 5 wire trailer on a 5 wire machine. Just add turn signals then tie the old red turn signals together for brake lights. Problem with 5 to 4 converters, one or more diodes short and pop goes the fuse.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

If you are referring to brp module, I had the same issue! Removed brp harness, and installed one from maddave, it is a 5 wire hook up,easy to install. No issues since.

Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention, $75 ,cheaper than brp's $$$

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    If you are referring to brp module, I had the same issue! Removed brp harness, and installed one from maddave, it is a 5 wire hook up,easy to install. No issues since.
    Where can we find maddave setup?

Traded in - 2013 RT SE5 Limited - Pearl White
    Mods Mods
    Tri Axis handlebars
    GPS mount for the Tri Axis handlebars
    Ultimate seat with driver backrest
    Driver cup holder
    3rd Brake light -truck
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    Bayaron swaybar with Heim links
    Lidlox

Spyder Garage

Does maddave's unit still allow the BRP computers to do their job? Meaning, helping against sway, engine power rang adjustments and braking...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Does maddave's unit still allow the BRP computers to do their job? Meaning, helping against sway, engine power rang adjustments and braking...
    What makes you think that BRP's trailer harness/module has any communication with the VSS system? It does not. Appears to be a very common myth.

BRP uses a Hopkins powered 5 to 4 isolated converter module. The same available in many autoparts stores (without the connectors).

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

He is a sponsor here I believe.

Spyder Garage

Default Went thru 4 modules.

I took the module and extended the wires and mounted it under the rear back rest on my RT.
    It appears that the heat under the seat just cooks them.
    I have over 6 months and 4000 miles pulling the trailer without any issues.

Spyder Garage

I used an after market Goldwing module and 5 wires. No problems.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    What makes you think that BRP's trailer harness/module has any communication with the VSS system? It does not. Appears to be a very common myth.

BRP uses a Hopkins powered 5 to 4 isolated converter module. The same available in many autoparts stores (without the connectors).
    I may have missed the final answer on this topic, forgive me. I purchased the first ever Blue 2010 RT-S SE5 in Washington State, and have owned three Spyders thus far...

From the BRP booklet I still have it states... The VSS system of the Spyder RT has been calibrated to recognize the trailer in order to maximize vehicle's handling dynamics.

Now at the time, my wife and I had been led to believe that the connection allowed the trailer to be recognized once we plugged it in, and the Spyder reacted/performed in a more appropriate manner as a result.

So I asked to gain knowledge. Just because the connections are the same, does not mean some silly engineer in Canada did not do a little "Tweaking". I do remember the silliness of claims that BRP would void your warranty if you used anything but their products...

He is a sponsor here I believe.
    If you are referring to me, no I am not. I may personally know a few of them
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

In all my years of riding a motorcycle , I have never pulled a trailer behind a bike. So here's my dumb question. Do all bikes require some kind of module to be installed if your going to be hauling a trailer behind your bike? Second dumb question. Does the Can-Am Spyder require a module to be installed if your going to be pulling a trailer? If so , is it just for warranity purposes or can you not buy a module and still pull a trailer?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I may have missed the final answer on this topic, forgive me. I purchased the first ever Blue 2010 RT-S SE5 in Washington State, and have owned three Spyders thus far...

From the BRP booklet I still have it states... The VSS system of the Spyder RT has been calibrated to recognize the trailer in order to maximize vehicle's handling dynamics.

Now at the time, my wife and I had been led to believe that the connection allowed the trailer to be recognized once we plugged it in, and the Spyder reacted/performed in a more appropriate manner as a result.

So I asked to gain knowledge. Just because the connections are the same, does not mean some silly engineer in Canada did not do a little "Tweaking". I do remember the silliness of claims that BRP would void your warranty if you used anything but their products...
    I do not have the wiring diagram for a 2010 RT or the wiring diagram for the trailer harness from that time. I do know the first trailer harness had a lot more wires than needed and one of them could have been used to communicate that a RT 622 trailer was connected to the Spyder. I can't rule that out, but I suspect not. Since then the trailer harness has changed a lot. The current harness has no provision to detect if a trailer is connected or not. The catalog staes that the current harness is compatible to 2010 to 2015 RT Spyders. I have the wiring diagram for a 2013 RT and there is no way from the wiring on the Spyder that it can detect the trailer.

So if ever the Spyder could detect if a RT 622 trailer was connected. That capability has been discontinued.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    In all my years of riding a motorcycle , I have never pulled a trailer behind a bike. So here's my dumb question. Do all bikes require some kind of module to be installed if your going to be hauling a trailer behind your bike? Second dumb question. Does the Can-Am Spyder require a module to be installed if your going to be pulling a trailer? If so , is it just for warranity purposes or can you not buy a module and still pull a trailer?
    There are 2 purposes for a module on a motorcyle, car, truck or motorhome, ect.

First is isolation. That puts the trailer on it's own seperate power circuit. If something goes wrong. The fuse for the trailer will blow and the lights on the Spyder will be uneffected. Also without the module if the extra draw of power is great enough the onboard dianostics will issue some type of warning. Fast flash turn signals for example.

Second to convert from a 5 wire to 4 wire system. Some vehicles, like the Spyder, have yellow turn signals and separate red brake lights. Many trailers have combined red brake/turn signal lights.

2018 F3 LIMITED