Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Service costs - Am I getting taken to the cleaners?

Greetings all. First post here by new RT-S owner. Had our toy for about a month now and it's time for the break-in service. I'm told that the service is around $300. After dropping nearly $26K, this seems a bit excessive. There is only one authorized service facility in our area. Does this seem high, or is it normal and should I just suck it up and quit whining?

Thanks in advance!!!

Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Preachy View Post
    Greetings all. First post here by new RT-S owner. Had our toy for about a month now and it's time for the break-in service. I'm told that the service is around $300. After dropping nearly $26K, this seems a bit excessive. There is only one authorized service facility in our area. Does this seem high, or is it normal and should I just suck it up and quit whining?

Thanks in advance!!!

Rick
    That's cheap. My first service was $386 on my 2014 RTL

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Rick!
    Which Dealer?
    I'm in Sullivan County; just to your North, and we've got two more dealers up here...
    Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, NY
    Klinger PowerSports in Walton, NY (MY Dealer!)

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

$335 for me at Dutchess Rec in Lagrange NY

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

If you have the 2014/15 RT and you are talking about the first service (which is at 3,000 miles) its about right. They do have to do alot of techy stuff to make sure things are falling into place. Good idea to have that one done then its up to you for future services. Oil change kits run about $80.00 for oil filter and orings washers etc. You can also get all parts needed from our sponsor BajaRon. Congrats on your new ryde... and welcome to this site.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine was just about $160 at Klinger's...

Spyder Garage

Going to get mine next week. I negotiated a FREE 3,000 mile service when I bought my Spyder, so my cost is $0

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

My first service in Winston-Salem, NC was $255 so considering where you live you might do some shopping but that's your choice. JMO
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Going to get mine next week. I negotiated a FREE 3,000 mile service when I bought my Spyder, so my cost is $0

Pam
    But are you just happy; or are you boasting???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dutchess Rec in Poughkeepsie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Rick!
    Which Dealer?
    I'm in Sullivan County; just to your North, and we've got two more dealers up here...
    Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, NY
    Klinger PowerSports in Walton, NY (MY Dealer!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's the dealership, Rob. I live I Dover Plains. Moved from Lagrange a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB K View Post
    $335 for me at Dutchess Rec in Lagrange NY

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the welcome, Chup! 2015 RT-S. I was told that the first service should be at 600 miles, which we just passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you have the 2014/15 RT and you are talking about the first service (which is at 3,000 miles) its about right. They do have to do alot of techy stuff to make sure things are falling into place. Good idea to have that one done then its up to you for future services. Oil change kits run about $80.00 for oil filter and orings washers etc. You can also get all parts needed from our sponsor BajaRon. Congrats on your new ryde... and welcome to this site.....

Spyder Garage

Mine was around the 300 dollar mark.But thats Canadian dollars.If you were up here using American money.It would be almost free.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Default First service for 1330 at 3000 miles

Thanks for the welcome, Chup! 2015 RT-S. I was told that the first service should be at 600 miles, which we just passed.
    First service for the 1330 is 3000 miles after breakin. After that my dealer recommended every 5000 even though the manufacturer said 9300. Im going with that and my next service at 8000 going full synthetic.

Welcome to Spyder Lovers !!
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dutchess Rec in Poughkeepsie
    Arctic Adventures: (845) 658 8844
    Speak to Tom
    Klinger PowerSports: (607) 865 6326
    Speak to Aaron

It's good to have options available!

Spyder Garage

600 miles is for the v twin 998 motor the 1330 on RT'S and F3's is at 3000....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

and on your new . The is an expensive toy to work on as you are finding out.

A typical oil change/filter/check over service is usually around $300 - $350. Dealer shop time varies, but most of us find it to be about $110 per hour.

The 3000 mile check up is very critical, so I recommend having that done by the dealer.

Upside: You must have the 1330 ACE engine triple model (3000 mile break in service), Your next service is scheduled at 12,300 miles (9,300 miles later). If you do not drive 9,300 or more a season, you should have oil change/filter service done at least once a season.

The 1330's also do NOT need the expensive valve check service that the previous 990's did. $800 additional to whatever you are having done. You should be good to go for about a season.

The new RT's have been pretty much trouble free. I am going on 18K miles in a little over a year. Coming up on oil change #3. Have replaced one rear tire, and dealer had to fix a saddlebag cable. Vrooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Rick

Dutchess Rec is only 10 minutes from my house.I payed $340 only because I did not buy from them. If I had they said it would be around $260. Bob always says think about where you service when you buy it could be a big factor. Artic adventures price was about$75 dollars cheaper than Dutchess Rec. but it's your choice. Either way I just wanna ride and the cost is second thought. Life is to short to second guess everything. Enjoy your ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Much appreciated. Not sure why Dutchess Rec is telling me that the first service is 600 miles. I'll call and postpone the service until we hit the first tru mark of 3,000.

I do have to bring it back though, as one of the panels has a small gouge in it (it was there and noted by the dealer when we took delivery). They agreed to replace the panel under warrantee.

Safe riding, everybody!!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Much appreciated. Not sure why Dutchess Rec is telling me that the first service is 600 miles. I'll call and postpone the service until we hit the first tru mark of 3,000.

I do have to bring it back though, as one of the panels has a small gouge in it (it was there and noted by the dealer when we took delivery). They agreed to replace the panel under warrantee.

Safe riding, everybody!!!!
    Just double checking--you do have a 2014 or 2015--Right? If its a 2013 or earlier, then 600 mile break in service and other information applies.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

2015. but now I'm really confused. the manual clearly states that the first break-in service is 600 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Just double checking--you do have a 2014 or 2015--Right? If its a 2013 or earlier, then 600 mile break in service and other information applies.

Spyder Garage

2015. but now I'm really confused. the manual clearly states that the first break-in service is 600 miles!

Are you sure you have an RT?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

The 3000 mile break in service and previous information applies only to with the 1330 three cylinder engine. The 1330 three cylinder was put in 2014 RT models and is now in 2015 RT models and the new F3.

All RS and ST versions of come with the 990 two cylinder and require a 600 mile break in service and a different maintenance schedule.

I do not have a manual handy to double check. If you have the 1330 and it says 600 miles for break in service--that would be a printing error.

Would you check one more time and verify your particular model? Thanks in advance.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

2015 RT-S. More than sure; I'm certain!!!! BUT after reading the manual more closely, I see that I misinterpreted how the manual is written. (Also, my girlfriend is positive that the salesman said to bring it in for service after 600 miles). The manual indicates how to actually operate the vehicle for the 1st 600 miles, but that the first service should be performed at 3,000 miles.

Sorry to drag this out as I did. You've all been very helpful! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Are you sure you have an RT?