Spyder Garage

Default 2012 vs 2014 RRS

I can pick up either a 2012 or 2014 RRS. The '14 is a demo and has approx $2000 of options plus warranty for a year. BUT it will cost me an extra $7000. Is it worth it. The mods are pipes and some other cosmetics I likely wouldn't do so if I buy the '12 I would have a lot of $ to play with. Both have very similar mileage of only 2000 mi. I guess I am wondering if the model changes and warranty is worth $7000

Spyder Garage

I am assuming you mean RSS.. with that in mind the 2012 would be a good deal most likely. There have not been many changes to that portion of the product line in recent years.
    Only issue is warranty. I own two Spyders now and have owned two others. I would never own one out of warranty since a repair on them is usually significant.. Of course you could take part of that $7000 and buy a nice extended warranty as a possibility
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Given the limited information provided and not knowing your financial situation, I think I would opt for the low mileage 2012 at the reduced price point. Make sure a dealer has checked the VIN for completion of any recalls.

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

2012 was a good year. The changes were mostly color, an extreemly heavy cat and pipe system and probably other odds and ends not worthy of the price. If the difference is as you say..you can make that 12 do, act, look and be all the 14 thinks it is. I think you even get a bit more power with the 12...still your call..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The 2012 is the last year of the 106hp motor. The next year they were 100hp. It is a minor difference, much like the rest of the RS-S changes between 2012 and 2014. The good news is they realized the can am red and matte black was a great color combo and brought it back

I would definitely buy the 2012. I have over 30,000 miles on mine with minimal issues (all of which I caused), and have never had it throw codes or go into limp mode. As a matter of fact, I think that if you flog it regularly you will have fewer problems with your spyder.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 14' RSS is also going to have cruise control and the dash/cluster is color. But for a $7000 difference the 12' is a no brainer!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The 14' RSS is also going to have cruise control and the dash/cluster is color. But for a $7000 difference the 12' is a no brainer!
    I understand they switched to 15" rims and modified some suspension parts. Any thoughts if these changes make a noticeable difference for average riding?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    I understand they switched to 15" rims and modified some suspension parts. Any thoughts if these changes make a noticeable difference for average riding?
    Ah, good points.
    IMHO, very subtle changes.
    -15" wheels, no.
    -Shocks, yes but easy/cheap to swap on the 12'.
    -Frame/suspension geometry changes, I've noticed no difference riding.
    -Brakes are supposed to be better but in riding them back to back I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe more noticeable on the heavier RT?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 07-15-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I think that if you flog it regularly you will have fewer problems with your spyder.
    Huh? What do you mean by "flog"?

(Maybe I just saw "50 Shades of Grey" too recently... lol!)

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would go with the 2012. That is what I had and never had a problem and for about 2k you can make it better then the 2014. I liked the throttlemeister for cruise better than I like the BRP cruise control. On my 2012 RS I had the elka shocks, swaybar w/metal links, throttlemeister, 23inch BRP windshield, HID headlights, Ultimate seat. All done for under 2k. If it does not have the exended warranty but you can still get one, this would cost you around 700.00. However if you cant get the warranty then you would have to decide if you want to purchase one without it.
    Also the 2012 was still a hot bike on days 85 and up in stop and go traffic. I believe the 2014 have different airflow panels and that would be another 500.00 if you want those but all is way under 7k

Spyder Garage

Default New Owner

After many weeks of looking and considering I have gone with a low mileage 2012 RSS. it is bone stock and now the mods start. For me half the fun is the tinkering I do. I was tempted by the 2014 but felt I couldn't justify the extra coin as the majority of changes I plan to make would also have been done on the bike to make more sport touring. Look forward to getting to know many of you

Spyder Garage

Excellent choice!
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great choice

My first was 2012 rs with a couple speed parts!! I put 35000 miles on it and should have never traded it in. You will love it and dont be afraid to ride it..slow or fast!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The '12 is a "throttle by Cable", 106 horse machine...
    The '14 is the "Throttle by Wire" 100 horse setup.
    The '14's engine delivers more torque at about 750 rpm lower than the '12. That might make for a more forgiving powerband...

The chassis...
    The 2014 has the new chassis with a revised front suspension, bigger wheels, and MUCH better Brembo brakes...

Your money: your choice...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RSS, do you still have it and are you happy with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    After many weeks of looking and considering I have gone with a low mileage 2012 RSS. it is bone stock and now the mods start. For me half the fun is the tinkering I do. I was tempted by the 2014 but felt I couldn't justify the extra coin as the majority of changes I plan to make would also have been done on the bike to make more sport touring. Look forward to getting to know many of you
    As you bought one way back when yours was three years old, I’m considering buying one now that’s six years old but with low mileage. I often wonder at all these Spyders with low mileage’s, I’ve ridden over a million miles on an assortment of bikes during the last 40 years and I easily knocked up forty and fifty thousand a year. Why are there still so many with so few miles?
    I’m considering buying a 2012 RSS paddle steamer and I’m wondering if they are reliable and if there have been many recalls with them? Having broken my knee recently and it’s slow recovery due to an aging body I’m wondering if it will be a good choice for me.
    Many thanks
    Dubliner in BC
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze