Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Removing baffles from Akropovich exhause

Has anybody ever removed the baffles from an Akropovich exhaust on a Spyder? I have a 2014 and am considering removing them however I'm not sure how involved a task it is...

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default baffles.

please dont do it. you have a great sound with what you have. you will not improve performance and may even reduce it.

for sure you will make noise and pissoff the public and make it difficult for the rest of us riders.

Spyder Garage

I have the baffles out of mine and the sound is great . the public reaction has been very favorable including my wife (which I must admit surprised me).. It had no negative affect on performance and simply made the sound a little more throaty.....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got my top one out... Bottom one is giving me a bit more trouble. Doesn't seem much louder, just a little deeper.. A little less like something out of the Jetsons...

Spyder Garage

Default hard or easy to do?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have the baffles out of mine and the sound is great . the public reaction has been very favorable including my wife (which I must admit surprised me).. It had no negative affect on performance and simply made the sound a little more throaty.....
    How hard is it to do? Just wandering.
    Steel Black Metallic 2015 RTS-SE6 Limited ; FBB Highway Brackets/ gripper pegs. Gremlin bell. Bajaron sway bar, Elka stage 2 front shocks. Bumps kid with led lights, Ultimate seat tall boy seat. Trailer hitch. Freedom trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Making it so they will come out is easy, just remove the two screws on the outside of the tailpipe (inside facing back wheel). Then it's just a shimmy and pull. But all the shimmy-ing in the world is not getting my second one out.

The top one came out with little issue...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WARWAGON View Post
    How hard is it to do? Just wandering.
    I finally got both of them out. If I would have done on the first one what I ended up doing on the second one it would have been a 5 min job. After wrestling (shimmy-shake) with the second one for about an hour, I finally grabbed it with a pair of vice grips - 2 taps on the grips and it came right out.

Not hardly any louder, but she has a lot deeper voice...

Spyder Garage

From the videos I've seen , they are held in place by a set screw!

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    Making it so they will come out is easy, just remove the two screws on the outside of the tailpipe (inside facing back wheel). Then it's just a shimmy and pull. But all the shimmy-ing in the world is not getting my second one out.

The top one came out with little issue...

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Mine look like this. One setscrew holds each one in . . . if they were in. Mine spend their days in a poly bag in my garage!

Attached Images Attached Images

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    I finally got both of them out. If I would have done on the first one what I ended up doing on the second one it would have been a 5 min job. After wrestling (shimmy-shake) with the second one for about an hour, I finally grabbed it with a pair of vice grips - 2 taps on the grips and it came right out.

Not hardly any louder, but she has a lot deeper voice...
    glad you got the second one out.. I was surprised by your trouble since mine came out quickly and easily....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I generally keep my baffles in, but, sometimes I like to take them out. They can be reinstalled without the screws. I find that with both of them out, it is a little louder than I want at times. So, I sometimes take one out and that is ok too. Bottom line is, if I take them out, I just keep them in the trunk, because sometimes I feel like a nut and sometimes I don't.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

sounds more h/d like, may piss off neighbors at 7am on a sunday ride

Spyder Garage

The reason they can be tough to get out is that they are tack welded in place. If you look at the photo above you can see the tack. The top on of mine was easy coming out but the bottom one took a little modding of an 8mm socket (grind the tapered end flat) to go onto the bolt to break the tack weld loose. If you drop the bolt in the can (i did), just use a parts magnet thru the carbon fiber and fish it to the hole. Its not loud at all, it sounds awesome...my wife does say though it gets a bit old on the back when going for long distances.
    Last edited by NSPYTE; 07-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not loud at all...

So now that I have driven to work with my baffles out, I have to say I am sooooo happy I removed them. First off, the noise is not hardly even a factor. It's really not much louder, just deeper.

The positive effect this has had and I'm not sure why is the she now shifts like dream. There is no jump, lurch forward or back and it doesn't matter how hard or soft I am on the trottle. You barely feel it.

Very happy I did this.

- Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Mine look like this. One setscrew holds each one in . . . if they were in. Mine spend their days in a poly bag in my garage!

Mine were immediately placed in a ziplock bag and stuffed into my box of spyder parts I am not likely to see again...

Spyder Garage

Mine were out on day 2. I have no plans on putting them back in. I have read about that tack weld but did not have any trouble getting them to break loose. I bought mine from a dealer that had them in an open box. Im thinking it was previously installed on another spyder for demo purposes, and the baffolds were removed then once.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I dropped my silencer when I installed it and had to replace the tip. It took forever to get to me and took a LOT of effort to replace. Getting the damaged one out was hard enough, Putting the new one in and perfectly in place was harder. Its done though and just like new again.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I cleaned it with WD 40 just like the directions said. Wow, It looked so much better.
    2017 F3 Limited