Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy F3 S- Motor Seize

Greetings all-

Purchased a 2015 Spyder F3 S last weekend. Picked up on Sunday, took it for a 15 minute ride...nothing extreme and on the way back home, the "Limp Home Mode" came on. Drove straight back to dealer service area. They ran a diagnostic and said it was throwing an oil pressure code from a sensor. They believed it to be the sensor itself and were replacing it today (Tues). Dealer just called and the engine seized during the test ride.

Needless to say, I'll have a new, identical F3 S on Thursday. Hope this type of thing doesn't happen often...and I'm sure it doesn't as this board would be littered with complaints.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool What bad luck!

I've never heard of a 1330 seizing but your dealer's done the right thing and kept
    you in the picture. Good luck with the replacement and here's to miles of trouble-free riding!

OH! By the way.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wow, that's the first I think I've heard on any new Spyder. Sorry for your bad luck but glad it happened when it did and where it did. I just did a little over 4000 miles on my last trip on the F3 with no issues and have no reason to think there ever will be. Don't give up on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

looks like it was more than the sensor.. thursday is a short wait but sorry it happened...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.....it was a little frustrating but glad the dealer is replacing the vehicle rather than performing warranty work.

Looking forward to years of enjoyment.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oil

I wonder if the dealer forgot to put enough oil in it!!!

Spyder Garage

Hate to hear this. I have run mine pretty good for 2500 miles. Has not used a drop of oil. Go for first service next week.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have every confidence that there was possibly a blocked oil passage...perhaps foreign object or something that migrated to block a passage. I work in aerospace quality and you'd be surprised how often something can pass approved test procedures at the factory, travel 1000 miles and fail on start up.

But, I also wouldn't be surprised if the bike was not properly set up at the dealer when uncrated.

Oh well...a new journey begins on Thursday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In spite of everything... you still have a positive outlook!
    Lover!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely Bob....I wanna ride an F3. Been quite a few years and a car accident-caused crushed hip since I rode so this is a whole new ballgame for me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by tommyandbeth View Post
    I wonder if the dealer forgot to put enough oil in it!!!
    ....AND you were told the motor " SEIZED " during the test ride.......IMHO and experience when that happens ...the MOTOR stops all movement....period......The pistons adhere to the cylinder walls.................and I'm thinking " 0 " oil.......Glad they are taking care of it.....but I doubt anyone there is willing to take a polygraph on this one.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad your getting taken care of.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear they are taking care of business.

16K on my 1330 and no issues. I know of another with over 50K with same results.

Would love to be a little mouse in the corner at the dealership when they are discussing the seized engine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I stopped by on the way for groceries just to snoop a little. Everyone was, "We aren't sure what caused it".... And no details. Oil?...Sensor?...nothing. Just engine failure. I bet BRE will be anxious to help analyze it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question for those reading this thread. I've looked and can't find much on performance exhaust results. Anyone claiming any HP gains?

Spyder Garage

I am actually surprised they are giving you a new machine. I've read many horror stories of manufacturers replacing the engine only which is totally wrong in my opinion. Very happy you don't have to go through that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZF3S View Post
    Question for those reading this thread. I've looked and can't find much on performance exhaust results. Anyone claiming any HP gains?
    It's kind f tough to get a Spyder onto a chassis dyno... If all 3 wheels are spinning at the same rate; Nanny gets cranky!
    Folks do seem to like Lamont's Catalytic converter by-pass pipe...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I stopped by on the way for groceries just to snoop a little. Everyone was, "We aren't sure what caused it".... And no details. Oil?...Sensor?...nothing. Just engine failure. I bet BRE will be anxious to help analyze it.
    Was your dealer a Ride Now Motorsports? I am sure everyone would like to know here in AZ. They do not have the best reputation but are a monopoly in this part of the world with 36+ dealerships. BRP and not the dealer would have made this decision to replace anyway. I do not think that a crate build would involve anything internal such as the engine so it most likely was the engine build.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ah Jack...you are wise beyond your years. Yes it was Ridenow. Entire process started out great, but went downhill from there. Wanted additional parts added...windshield and u-fit of front pegs....no inventory. And then this. While it may have been engine build, I do wonder about set up and fluid levels....but who knows...they aren't talking.

As long as the new one is ready on Thursday, I'll be happy.

Spyder Garage

While it may have been engine build, I do wonder about set up and fluid levels....but who knows...they aren't talking.
    I watched my dealer uncrate and assemble my F3-S. All of the fluids were already topped off by the factory. Even a little fuel was in the gas tank. If the dealer didn't check the oil properly they could have overfilled it, since the dry sump registers a low level until the engine is warmed up and idled for a while.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1003013]....AND you were told the motor " SEIZED " during the test ride.......IMHO and experience when that happens ...the MOTOR stops all movement....period......The pistons adhere to the cylinder walls.................and I'm thinking " 0 " oil.......Glad they are taking care of it.....but I doubt anyone there is willing to take a polygraph on this one.........Mike [/QUOTE

That's my first and only thought, and I am sticking to it!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    I watched my dealer uncrate and assemble my F3-S. All of the fluids were already topped off by the factory. Even a little fuel was in the gas tank. If the dealer didn't check the oil properly they could have overfilled it, since the dry sump registers a low level until the engine is warmed up and idled for a while.
    Would an engine slightly overfilled with oil have such an effect?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by XB12X View Post
    Would an engine slightly overfilled with oil have such an effect?
    Almost certainly no. The results of overfilling the engine with oil are generally blown oil seals and air boxes
    full of oil.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around any vehicle being shipped with fluids in the vehicle ESPECIALLY .....GAS !!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around any vehicle being shipped with fluids in the vehicle ESPECIALLY .....GAS !!!!

Not sure why you feel this way. All cars, even those shipped by ocean freight have all fluids, including gas and are in running order when they leave the factory. I am sure there are a few exceptions like kit cars etc but for the most part this is commonplace.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame