Thread: Travel question

Spyder Garage

Default Travel question

No travels this year, getting riding experience and gradually deciding on equipment that I want to buy.

It's been way to many years since I've traveled around, and I'm wondering how to plan a trip.

I'm wondering if people just stop and look for an available room at a hotel/inn/etc along the road for the night when the mood hits,
    Or do they usually map out the trip with the distance to travel each day and where to stop, having made advanced reservations?

With all the good advice and experience around here, I know that you will all have the answers! Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The answer is...

...That there is no right or wrong answer!
    I'm one of those people that has to have everything planned out to the last possible detail...
    Fuel and food stops, Motels... point of interest; they all have to be on the list!
    Other folks really enjoy letting the trip unfold in front of them... What happens; happens!

Which type of person are you? A List-maker, or a "go with the flow" type?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went through a similar phase as you when planning my trip to Chelan, Wash. I planned three possible routes and researched (on TripAdvisor) availability and costs of lodging along the way. I left home thinking I'd go one way, but decided to go another after I had been out a couple days. Since I had researched the lodging, I felt comfortable doing that and knew it would work out.

There are apps, like TripAdvisor and Gas Buddy, to help you locate what you need along the way. There are a few stretches in the west you need to make sure there's fuel available, but otherwise, I think you could "wing it" and do OK.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

If I'm going by myself or maybe one other, I'll wing it a lot of the time. but if going with a group then I feel like plans really need to be nailed down.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Default Seat of the pants....

Don't like schedules pressing me. Drive till we are ready to stop then find a place. This allows for some side trips etc. But if you have a certain time allowed then set the day to arrive and leave leave the rest open...just us..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Trip Planning

Im a lone ridder who has ridden coast to coast many times. I ride @ 350+ miles a day. Each day I get up early and look at weather channel and decide my route in the general dirction I want to get to (i avoid bad weather). At about 2pm or so I select a place to stay and make a reservation for the night.
    This works for me, usually keeps me dry, and keeps a room waiting.
    Stay safe!

Spyder Garage

Smile

My brother and I traveled across the country last year,(25,000+miles ). Did not plan route, just saw the country with no time line, did learn if you stop around 7pm you can book a room almost any where. If we were a few hours from a town,I would look up on my Garmin, which hotels where available and book a room.This way you have no time line to get to your next stop. It worked out great!
    Enjoy your ride and relax,take in the sights! You won't believe how buetiful this country is until you rede on a bike!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChocEnabler View Post
    No travels this year, getting riding experience and gradually deciding on equipment that I want to buy.

It's been way to many years since I've traveled around, and I'm wondering how to plan a trip.

I'm wondering if people just stop and look for an available room at a hotel/inn/etc along the road for the night when the mood hits,
    Or do they usually map out the trip with the distance to travel each day and where to stop, having made advanced reservations?

With all the good advice and experience around here, I know that you will all have the answers! Thanks!
    Interesting question. My priorities dictate my trip planning. On the road, I relish listening to live rocknrolla music & enjoy being a minimalist when packing & hauling supplies. I pick a direction & locate pubs & dives & venues with live rocknrolla & mark my tentative route on an old shool paper map. I limit my road supplies to what I can haul in my frunk & tank bag, ie, 1 person coffin tent, small down sleeping bag, tools, cash, etc. I look for hotels & camp sites while on the road. Numerous times, I get hotel & camp site recommendations from local folks @ the rocknrolla venues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Sometimes it's a matter of timing. Wife and I did a 4300+ mile trip last year from Omaha to New Jersey down the coast to S. Carolina back up through Kentucky, Tennessee, MO and back home. Had no problems except at Myrtle Beach - didn't know they were having 2 conventions the weekend we were supposed to be there. Had to make alternate plans as we could not find a room anywhere in Myrtle Beach. Other than that, we had no problems in 13 different states.

Spyder Garage

Default Just wing it

We plan a route and try to stick to it. It will usually be 2 lane scenic roads, and it is sometimes hard to tell how long it takes to get where you want to spend the night. If you reserve ahead you may fall behind and be forced to hit the 4 lane to get there at a decent time and miss some of the roads you really wanted to ride. When it nears lunch we start looking for a place to eat. When it near 4pm or so or depending how we feel we start looking for hotels.
    If it is around a holiday try to avoid the tourist traps as it will be hard to find rooms in those areas. We do the same thing in Quebec snowmobiling in the winter.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Great thoughts!

Thanks everyone for all of the great & interesting preferences.
    It's wonderful to have such a friendly and knowledgeable bunch of "know-it-alls" Of course, I forgot the "Just Kidding" icon!
    You are all great people; thank goodness for Spyderlovers!
    Last edited by ChocEnabler; 07-07-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find Google maps to be quite helpful. Pick a possible destination town, search for hotels near xxxx, and look to see where they're located, and click on the link to find out price, etc. I also search on, say, museums near xxxx, and all sorts of museums and other points of interest pop up on the map. Move along the route of interest and new ones pop up in the map view you're looking at.

I call for reservations only if I really need to be sure to have a room or campsite available, otherwise I just drop in. Strike out once in awhile, but not often. Reservations through a site like Hotels.com can sometimes save you money.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default General direction :)

Iv found personally mire fun to flow. I have a main goal destination. A guesstimate date of arrival unless I have awesome hotel deal in advance. Help keep me focused. Then random syops @ some of the most beautiful scenery & random fun that I may encounter. Truckstops prove to be wealth of information (traffic or casual) & usally good food. Just know when SHTF , slow down & calm otherwise everything will compound. Plan for the best, expect the worst. Know what u like & keep eye out. Some unusal things can produce great moments & make trip all more enjoyable. one random stop I found on way to bikes blues & bbq fyi. http://www.bikesbluesandbbq.org Coming up again in Sept fyi enjoy side trips. & if cant stop on way there , note & catch on way back. Less time restraints.fyi i am a redneck & easily distracted/entertained but a HAPPY1!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-08-2015 at 04:08 AM.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Travel Question

We will make reservations at some locations if it's in a tourist location or an event is going on. We also travel with our own camping trailer and gear as most of our travels are off the beaten path . We will grab a hotel every few days to do laundry and rest up. Some time the best resting is in an isolated camp with no one around for miles .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

It depends on where I am traveling, and when. If you are going through a high tourist area, during the height of tourist season, you better have reservations or an iron butt, as you may have trouble finding a place to stay.

In my younger days, I had a sleeping bag with a small rain fly attached to it . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    We will make reservations at some locations if it's in a tourist location or an event is going on. We also travel with our own camping trailer and gear as most of our travels are off the beaten path . We will grab a hotel every few days to do laundry and rest up. Some time the best resting is in an isolated camp with no one around for miles .
    way cool & professional setup & your pictures capture it all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Smile It's based on a combination of factors

My wife and I plan our travel with these priorities: gas mileage, butt comfort, and locations that are going to have decent overnight and food options. Her 90-mile limit (two-wheeled motorcycle) determines stop frequency, and we snack at fuel stops to avoid getting too hungry between meals. Often we're in the saddle long days, and the longer the distance we ride the greater the opportunities for eating and where we will stay. We ride to several destinations over a few days, and we balance out the comfort by riding more one day and less the next day. The shorter riding days involve a lot more exploration, and we read about places we'll visit beforehand in books, state visitor guides, online, etc. We've invested in a hitch and trailer to increase the range of travel and to better deal with temperature variances. There are lots of good YouTube videos about what to pack, good books (Motorcycle Touring Bible by Fred Rau), good articles in Rider, etc., and you'll figure it out as you travel. See you on the road!

Thought of something else after posting . . . I use different apps on the smartphone to make reservations close enough to a hotel as to be certain of our arrival, sometimes in the hotel parking lot! Hotels.com app, IHG app, Wyndham Rewards app, Around Me app, and there are others. This works really well for us.
    Last edited by dsoileau; 07-08-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

His and her Limited Spyders! Totally cool setup! That type of traveling is our goal in retirement. Thanks and best of luck in your travels.

Spyder Garage

I belong to Choice Hotels Club. 800 number. Mostly mid price chain motels. When I was able, I used to ride until I was a hour or so from stopping, then call the 800 number and tell what you want in a room. I ran into "full up" a couple times. the advantage in this way is, get the paper map out, either stop short or go a little farther on, your choice.
    Have fun
    Oldmanzues

There are several other Clubs like this. I joined one ,but never used it, either way upper end middle class, or low high class prices.
    this is all old style but look at the "Name"
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting thread

This was an interesting thread with some solid advice. Glad I read this one.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChocEnabler View Post

I note you live in Duluth. That was my home base for over twenty years. Our first big trip was from Duluth to the Black Hills of South Dakota. That is an exceptional trip and you can get you skill level up.

I would recommend:

: Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a South Dakota trip Planner--that will give you all the information about SD to peruse.
    : Getting there: I prefer taking I35 down to Hinckley, split off on Hwy 23 to St. Cloud, continue on 23 down to Sioux Falls and pick up I90. You will see some beautiful MN country that way.

One day ride (390) miles--Sioux Falls Area. One day ride (600) miles--Murdo SD. The Corn Palace in Mitchell SD is highly touted--but I consider it a 40 mile out of the way low value trip. A building with murals on it made out of colored corn.
    Lot's of motels in Sioux Falls.

Try the Super 8 in Murdo if you go the full 600 miles. You will find the Auto Museum there which is worth a couple hours of your time.

: Second or third day: Hit Badlands National Park and Wall Drug. Stay in Wall or move 60 miles down the road to Rapid City, SD--all kinds of motels and hotels.

Pick and choose what you want to see in the Black Hills--its all good. Mount Rushmore, the Needles Highway, Custer State Park. All fantastic scenery. I always take a side trip to Devils Tower Wyoming. Fantastic ride and beautiful scenery.

There, you have an example of trip planning. If you go during the Sturgis rally--lots of luck finding lodging. Any other time, usually no problem if you are a find and park person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red