Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chspyder View Post
    Ok I bought a new 2015 f3-s sm6, and it just doesn't impress me performance wise.
    I would be more than happy with a 6th gear with some power but I top Rev my 5th at like 115 mph and shift to 6th and nothing really changes its like the computer stops throttle response. I can't understand how a 1330cc engine is barely faster than a 998cc.
    I know it's new but before I wait 3 years for some decent add-ons and I'm not talking a turbo (cost outweighs the performance)
    Is there any chance of nanny limiting I couldn't imagine pipes and air intake add that much. I love the torque but I don't like being the slowest "fat kid" (3 up) bike I know I'm not gonna beat the 2 wheels r1 and hyubasas but come on more speed scotty!

Should I just sell it? I do love the comfort and torque. But I can't live with my car going faster

You should have done some research. The F3 is not a sport bike and you should have known that. Its quick enough by cruiser standers. If you can afford it, sell it and get a sport bike. The best deals out there right now are on left over Honda VFR1200's. It does 160 mph and 11 sec 1/4 mile stock and Honda is trying to get rid of the remaining units.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with your sale!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I seriously think we are getting our chains yanked here people!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I seriously think we are getting our chains yanked here people!

Jack
    No way someone even looks at a Spyder and thinks that it'll keep up w/ crotch rockets. Plus, as stated earlier, it's advertised as a CRUISER!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DLewis View Post
    No way someone even looks at a Spyder and thinks that it'll keep up w/ crotch rockets. Plus, as stated earlier, it's advertised as a CRUISER!!

I agree!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

No getting chains yanked here. And I must say for a community I really don't like being associated with you guys, not all but most have very rude comments to say.

I will not even think of .50 on every dollar are you slow?
    I did research and knew it wasn't a 180 mph bike but being promised more at the dealer which we have one which now I know has a horrible rep for lying. I thought it was a little more advanced when purchased no Internet search said top speed.
    As for cruises status a ton of bikes include that class including a hyubasa yes it's true, although I'd classify it as a drag bike.
    I never expected to keep up with a crotch rocket but I expected more by far.

I asked for advice and thank those of you honestly answering it. Those of you trolling sorry but you're very unhelpful and should stop giving this site a bad name.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chalk it up to an experiment that went wrong, and move on!
    Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Your Decision

Best wishes with your decision. I am a little disappointed with the speed of my new F3 too. I can live with the speed though as I don't go that fast any more...very often.

I have not seen many engine hopups for the older spyders and don't expect much for mine. I am curious about crossover parts from the other BRP products. That may have promise. Supercharger anybody? LOL

Spyder Garage

My F3 has almost 700 miles to date and while it is not as tight now as it was it still has quite a ways to go before broken in. No it is not a rocket but feels stronger every time I go out for a decent ride so I would have a hard time passing judgement after only 500 miles.

And........based on what was said if true I wouldn't give anything for an F3 that has been run as described before being broken in.
    Last edited by Mike Ard; 07-10-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: missed word

Spyder Garage

Default F3 is 800+ pounds of weight and not very aerodynamic

when compared to a Busa. However, my RT-S is fast enough to get me to sit back. but with the bikes weight, air drag and my fat a$$, I do not expect crotch rocket performance.

I am very sorry the salesman lied to you (or at the very least misrepresented). There is a youtube of an RS doing 127 mph (205 kph). I think that is like 42 mph faster than the current highest speed limit in the U.S. I dont know what range of speed you are looking for, but unless you are running tracks Spyders are more about the journey than the speed to get to the destination.

Given your comments, I do not think even mods like a super charger, increased air flow, etc. would meet what you appear to want. Were I you, I would take your Spyder and trade it in on a R1 or a Busa. Yes, you will take it in the shorts, but you will probably be much happier in the end.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

not sure he is trolling or not but I did find a craigslist ad in Louisville, KY. http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/5109467408.html

seems to me it is more about keeping up with his buddies (who i bet are giving him a hard time about having a Can Am) than the bike not being fast enough.

i may be wrong but I bet I'm close to one of the real reasons.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Yup! Sounds like peer pressure to me as well!
    Although I wouldn't touch that bike with a barge pole!
    Breaking in the engine correctly has not been done.
    As he said himself he can't get enough speed out of it
    so he must have tried hard a few times!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chspyder View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and if it were not for me having way too many toys as is and most friends having sport bikes I just don't think I'll ever feel the passion of the putting around till I'm much older I'm actually 33 and I loved the looks for ever but the sales man told me many lies to talk me into the f3-s where I was looking at the cheaper rt. He had me convinced it would be better in most ways. Now I do admit it's sexy and will get the most attention no matter what. But I am a little out of place with riders around here. No 3 up clubs or anything and like I said friends just don't ride well with 3 up.
    I guess I'm looking to sell before I hack because it's showroom perfect.
    I have listed it on Craigs list. Any recommendations where to list it? I paid 21 k and I want 19950 which I think is fair for a 500 mile bike.
    I know you have the bike listed already. Not sure how bad a hit you will take regarding price.

As for how the machine has been run already, modern engines and production methods produce good engines that require little breakin. That along with the warranty makes it a worthy buy regardless. Honestly, many people improperly break in an engine but babying it. The engines do need some hard runs to seat the rings.

Since you have it listed on CL, is it safe to assume that one of your toys is a quick sport bike? I don't know what models you have in your garage, but I would still lean towards trading it in for something 2015 /2016 that is more aligned with your goals. Selling on CL may work, but the buyer and you should ensure all details of warranty transfer and other items are well handled.

Not sure if you could buy an H2 slot or find an R1m but those will no doubt be a fun machine for a while.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/yzf-r1m

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-H2

Your F3 will be great for someone, sadly it was not you.

If you have not done so yet, list the machine in the classifieds here on Spyderlovers.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peer pressure...
    Does he let his riding buddies choose his girlfriends also?
    If you "Ride your own ride"; you can always look at yourself in the mirror with a clear conscience...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Peer pressure...
    Does he let his riding buddies choose his girlfriends also?
    If you "Ride your own ride"; you can always look at yourself in the mirror with a clear conscience...
    Bob, lighten up.

A Spyder is not for everyone.

If I only rode as a single rider I would not own a Spyder. I grew up on two wheels, still enjoy two wheels, and currently would have no issue riding two wheels. The wife does not enjoy two wheels, so the Spyder was a great compromise for this house.

Consider too, it may not be peer pressure but rather wanting to ride with friends. If the Spyder has limitations for him to ride in that group, then he should find what works. The idea of changing his social lifestyle to fit him riding a Spyder seems silly.

Life is short, get the most fun from each mile. He's 33, maybe at 63 he will be restoring an F3 to ride to cruise nights...

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, but I'll stand by what I said...
    Friends will always find something to rib one another about...

...But they accept each other as they are; and will defend one another's choices.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, but I'll stand by what I said...
    Friends will always find something to rib one another about...

...But they accept each other as they are; and will defend one another's choices.
    Bob, I agree. Sometimes though, friends don't like to wait...It happens all the time when we do group rides on the bicycle. This may easily be the case with the F3. At 115 hp, it is not going to set the world on fire, but is still very cool (still think it looks like a lawn tractor from the front). For the majority of buyers, the machine is fine.

Reminds me of some testing I did a while back. Cannondale was making motorcycles. We got one to play with, not purchased but on loan to see what our opinion was. I spent some time on the bike and had a modified Yamaha YZ426f to compare to. As we discussed the bike as a group after we rode it. Everyone loved the suspension. Most found the bike easy to ride. My comments were the bike was lacking serious power and needed a better map for fuel and ignition. To this I added, a bike with no hit and less power is always easy to ride and never taxes the suspension. When Cannondale said the map was the most aggressive we knew then it was over. Returned the bike and moved on.

Like this guy with his F3, friends or not, if it does not keep up make a change. I'm sure if we all told him $2k and it will run like a sport bike he would make it happen.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Bob, lighten up.

A Spyder is not for everyone.

If I only rode as a single rider I would not own a Spyder. I grew up on two wheels, still enjoy two wheels, and currently would have no issue riding two wheels. The wife does not enjoy two wheels, so the Spyder was a great compromise for this house.

Consider too, it may not be peer pressure but rather wanting to ride with friends. If the Spyder has limitations for him to ride in that group, then he should find what works. The idea of changing his social lifestyle to fit him riding a Spyder seems silly.

Life is short, get the most fun from each mile. He's 33, maybe at 63 he will be restoring an F3 to ride to cruise nights...

PK

Last time I checked the speed limit was only 75. He wants to ride with a group that push the limits, I get it. Spyders are for people that want to have fun but also want to stay as safe as possible doing the thing they love.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember those bikes: they looked like a great package...

...and then it all went no-where!

When I was into fast snowmobiles; we always had a rule that you waited at the next intersection for the group to meet back up...
    everybody rode their own pace; nobody got left behind, and we had serious horsepower, riding with kids on Indy Lites (340cc fan- cooled sleds...)

Spyder Garage

I remember those bikes: they looked like a great package...

...and then it all went no-where!

When I was into fast snowmobiles; we always had a rule that you waited at the next intersection for the group to meet back up...
    everybody rode their own pace; nobody got left behind, and we had serious horsepower, riding with kids on Indy Lites (340cc fan- cooled sleds...)
    In regards to your sled days, some groups are fun and respectful to all riders. Other groups while fun are less respectful and take each ride like it is the world championship.

The Cannondale was neat, but they should have built the first version with a proven engine into their chassis. I was digging deep in the clothes drawer the other day, found an almost new Cannondale MX400 T shirt. Might be worth a lot on EBay...not.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What color, and what size?

Spyder Garage

I'm with PMK on this one! The Spyder also was a compromise for me (riding with my wife!). And I'm 43 (is this to early for compromises? &#128521
    What I don't get: if you spend 20+ grand - why don't you inform yourself properly? Maybe he's got money to burn (good for him then...), but if I make a purchase I try to know everything that is to know beforehand!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I absolutely agree that it can be a "compromise" machine...
    The desire to ride; wrestling with:
    Old Age
    Infirmity
    An otherwise unwilling better-half"
    A concern for one's safety...

What balance do you need; for the equation to work for you?

In my situation: The Missus just saw one, and LOVED the idea!
    I was already in the position of no longer being able to hold a big touring rig up, and diabetic neuropathy had made shifting with my left foot a very "iffy" proposition.
    We saw them; I did some research about them, and bought my 2010 RT without ever having dropped my hams into the seat...
    The first two miles from the dealership, I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake! I was all over my lane with it, and the more I fought; the worse it got!
    Finally I thought: Ski Doo knows how to build , that'll track down the trail straight... Relax on the bars, and let's see what happens...
    The Clouds parted, the Sun shined, and all became clear!

Spyder Garage

Default Break in

It has been my experience that more modern engines don't break in as quickly as older engines. The new harder materials and coatings make it so the rings don't seat as quickly as they did in the "old days". There are a number of things that I listen to and feel that let me know when my engines are broken in. First is how tight the engine is when you start to rev into the higher rev band when new and as it frees up as it gets broken in. Then there is the pitch of how the engine sounds and feels. As the engine breaks in the pitch changes and the engine smooths out. Probably the easest to tell is fuel mileage. As the engine breaks in the gas mileage goes up.

That said you can baby an engine too much which is nearly as bad as pushing it before it is ready. My key to proper break in is reving through the gears up to when the engine feels tight and not push beyond that point and never running at a constant throttle. As the engine loosens up I push as far as the engine lets me and is "happy". When I am done I have an engine that wants to rev right to the limit and is very smooth doing it.

As for how long it takes I never go by the manual but rather what the engine tell me along the way. For example our new Jeep trail hawk is just now broken in and has 5,500 miles on it. Our Scion FRS had almost 7,000 miles on it before it really started to sing but once it did.....boy does it ever!

My Dad taught me to listen to and feel the engine back when I was just a kid and the lessons he taught me have served me well over the last 55 or so years.

One comment on sleds is my favorite sled was the original Ski-Doo TNT 340 RV. It wasn't worth a damn in deep powder but was almost better than sex on broken trails.

Spyder Garage

I absolutely agree that it can be a "compromise" machine...
    The desire to ride; wrestling with:
    Old Age
    Infirmity
    An otherwise unwilling better-half"
    A concern for one's safety...

What balance do you need; for the equation to work for you?

In my situation: The Missus just saw one, and LOVED the idea!
    I was already in the position of no longer being able to hold a big touring rig up, and diabetic neuropathy had made shifting with my left foot a very "iffy" proposition.
    We saw them; I did some research about them, and bought my 2010 RT without ever having dropped my hams into the seat...
    The first two miles from the dealership, I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake! I was all over my lane with it, and the more I fought; the worse it got!
    Finally I thought: Ski Doo knows how to build , that'll track down the trail straight... Relax on the bars, and let's see what happens...
    The Clouds parted, the Sun shined, and all became clear!
    25k mistake on the ride home for you...My first ride was 250 miles, at night, in the rain with a helmet that did not fit. I had several hours to consider various other possibilities. However one common thought kept me headed home, my wife was wanting to enjoy something new to her and do it together. She commented a few nights back after I installed a set of Corbin armrests for her. She is noticing many of the mods are for her...doesn't bother me really, if she enjoys riding and these are small prices I pay, then so be it. She does also realize I have gotten some great used items and since I do all the work on the machine, she knows it is even a better value. Also it is done by me for her.

PK