Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Performance mods or scrap F3-S?

Ok I bought a new 2015 f3-s sm6, and it just doesn't impress me performance wise.
    I would be more than happy with a 6th gear with some power but I top Rev my 5th at like 115 mph and shift to 6th and nothing really changes its like the computer stops throttle response. I can't understand how a 1330cc engine is barely faster than a 998cc.
    I know it's new but before I wait 3 years for some decent add-ons and I'm not talking a turbo (cost outweighs the performance)
    Is there any chance of nanny limiting I couldn't imagine pipes and air intake add that much. I love the torque but I don't like being the slowest "fat kid" (3 up) bike I know I'm not gonna beat the 2 wheels r1 and hyubasas but come on more speed scotty!

Should I just sell it? I do love the comfort and torque. But I can't live with my car going faster

Spyder Garage

Sell it ! You will never be happy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sell it, there are plenty of those who would snatch it up. Then you can go troll someplace else

Spyder Garage

If you shift into 6th at 115 mph, please sell it fast! We don't need a negative accident report (possible death through excessive speed).
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Sell it, there are plenty of those who would snatch it up. Then you can go troll someplace else
    ......................Or just go with nitrous .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I agree . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pdxsenior View Post
    Sell it ! You will never be happy.
    . . . . . if you are surprised by the state of your F3's performance, you didn't evaluate the bike or understand what you were getting into. Sell it! Really, you will NEVER be happy with it.

As an alternative, you could get a slower car. But I think you will always hear that whining sound.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

YEP, sell it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate the valid responses those that are just commenting to up their posts status, that's just mean I really want to know info. I was sold a bike that had potential and had no reviews I found about performance most were on the 998cc. I am trying to be honest with myself but if there is honestly not a chance this attractive bike can achieve more speed (and I don't drive excessive fast I just like a little burst every now and then) if I wanted a cruiser I would not of bought a sport bike which the dealer let me test in a 2 mile area no expressway test and a pushy sale. Which I do regreat. If I could of had a longer better test I would of know better. But from a mechanical standpoint it has potential it seems to be limited by electronics.
    would anyone (without abusing me and accusing me of trolling) have any ideas if it's software\programmer or open intake and exhaust. And would these be a viable option in the future? Or is there not a market for this? After all this was a 21 k investment and I could of bought 2 BMW top of the line racing bikes but this is comfortable.

I'm really looking for a good reason to keep it.
    if you are around ky and want it I'll be selling it otherwise after my first checkup is finished. I find it to be fair at 19950.00 (I know this is not the place to sell but it's my thoughts) I'm eating 2k for my taxes and dumb luck. 6th miles on it clean no lean title.

Spyder Garage

Why not try to keep it longer and enjoy it for what it is? It's fun, sexy, unique and handles kind of like a jet ski on land, how cool is that?

I too have had cars and bikes which were (MUCH) faster than my F3S. But I love the bike (tryke, whatever) regardless and enjoy it without comparing it to anything else I've driven or ridden. You can probably add HP to it over time as this model becomes more mainstream. For now this model is brand new and not many people have made accessories or mods or whatever... Maybe in a few months or a year someone will start reprogramming the computers on these.

And you are right, these have potential for much greater horsepower. BRP's jet skis have same size engines with twice the horsepower. BUT the trade off is, they only last 200 hours before blowing up.
    Last edited by griffontamer; 07-07-2015 at 01:56 AM.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Performance mods are just coming out. Give it a little time. Have you eliminated the cat? How about looking for restrictions on the intake side?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I mean, seriously...
    The F3 is a CRUISER, not a sport bike.
    It is advertised as a CRUISER, the reviews call it a CRUISER, this section on SL is called F3-CRUISER
    How could you not get the drift??? 😪

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't hold your breath for any real performance upgrades in the near future. There just isn't a big market for them. There's more of a market for geezer mods like lighting, extended pegs, floorboards, windshields, and bags.
    Enjoy your f3 for what it is and consider adding a second bike to your garage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 07-07-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

You probably want to sell then. Lets face it, it is not a sport bike and sport bikes don't weight 850lbs.... At the end
    of the day you still have the drag of three large tires on the ground plus, pure HP/Wt ratio. The only thing out there
    in stock form with three wheels might be a GoldWing... and I'm not sure about that considering the substantial "add-on"
    if you trike-them-up. The Spyder (any of them) also have quite a bit of real estate in front of them pushing against the air.

As was said, these are cruiser machines. Now, not talking put-put-put 35mph cruisers you see in the mountains (I'm
    sure many know what I'm talking about), but not canyon carvers or 1/4mile rockets. It has a purpose and IMHO does
    that quite well. (As they say, no car or bike is all things to everyone).
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Three choices...
    Love it...
    Change it...
    Leave it...

You've got some decisions to make.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Having a 400 hp Boss Hoss and a M109R that topped out at 151 mph I must say I don't miss the top speed that's lacking in the Spyder. The Spyder is the slowest thing I've owned but it's the most fun too. If you're looking for top speed you bought the wrong bike. It's not based on cc's either, a 600cc sportbike will do just about the same as a 1000cc bike.

Either enjoy it for what it is or sell it for something you can die faster on.

Spyder Garage

Hi chspyder,

Best advice is to go with your heart. What is your heart telling you right now? what will your heart tell you tomorrow?
    I will be buying F3S for cruising,touring and to make me feel special. I will also buying F3S for the rarity on UK roads and attention I will get from members of the public. My heart feels the same as 2 months ago when I set eyes on this beauty.

Finally go with your heart
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice and if it were not for me having way too many toys as is and most friends having sport bikes I just don't think I'll ever feel the passion of the putting around till I'm much older I'm actually 33 and I loved the looks for ever but the sales man told me many lies to talk me into the f3-s where I was looking at the cheaper rt. He had me convinced it would be better in most ways. Now I do admit it's sexy and will get the most attention no matter what. But I am a little out of place with riders around here. No 3 up clubs or anything and like I said friends just don't ride well with 3 up.
    I guess I'm looking to sell before I hack because it's showroom perfect.
    I have listed it on Craigs list. Any recommendations where to list it? I paid 21 k and I want 19950 which I think is fair for a 500 mile bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chspyder View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and if it were not for me having way too many toys as is and most friends having sport bikes I just don't think I'll ever feel the passion of the putting around till I'm much older I'm actually 33 and I loved the looks for ever but the sales man told me many lies to talk me into the f3-s where I was looking at the cheaper rt. He had me convinced it would be better in most ways. Now I do admit it's sexy and will get the most attention no matter what. But I am a little out of place with riders around here. No 3 up clubs or anything and like I said friends just don't ride well with 3 up.
    I have listed it on Craigs list. Any recommendations where to list it? I paid 21 k and I want 19950 which I think is fair for a 500 mile bike.
    There is a for sale forum on this site.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

It's hardly slow. 0 to 60 MPH in 4.8 seconds. You must have a very fast car!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

" 3- UP "....you must have been thinking " SEA-DOO " , BRP makes those also, and I think one or more have superchargers.......................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes if your looking to keep up with the crotch rockets you have the wrong bike. Good luck with whatever decision you make and drive safe!!! Those crotch rockets buzz me all the time thinking they are so cool going 50 miles over the speed limit. I'm like "bye"

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

Aprilla has a 139 and 143hp 998 rotax engine. Ours are 100 and 106. Wait till the get the 1330 and see where they take it....or change your sprokets for more top end speed...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you have decided to sell it, list it here and perhaps on Cycletrader

Spyder Garage

Not much has happened with the 990-998 through the years with performance. Doubt anything will happen with 1330 any time soon.
    Plenty fast for me.

Life is to fast stop and smell the roses my friend

Spyder Garage

I will give you 50cents on the dollar, cash. But, since you have red-lined it in 5th, I would require engine and trany checked and certified by a dealer.