Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTL POST RECALL

I have now put a little over 200 miles on my RTL since having the recall work done. I do like the way the scoops look. I considered painting the flat black part of the scoops Pearl White, but decided to leave them as is. The Spyder is noticeably louder, due to the removal of some panels under the Tupperware being removed, but not at all annoying. Now, as to the heat problems. I have ridden in 80 degree stop & go traffic, 75 degrees & rainy, today, 82 degrees on back roads - never got out of second gear - and finished off with an 80 MPH highway run. I stopped several times, just to take my right glove off and feel for heat around the front of the seat and right side panels, and sniff for gas fumes. All areas were cool to the touch which is a night & day difference from when the heat would roast my chestnuts. Also, no gas fumes. I have filled up a few times, and there was no boiling of gasoline in the tank either. I have to say that I am thrilled with the results of the recall. This is now a totally different machine from the one I bought and suffered with for two years. I really do think that BRP got this right. Any of you out there that have not had the recall work done, I would advise you to get it done as soon as possible. I think that you will be very pleased with the result.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

especially glad that the work done to correct these problems has worked out so well for all that have had the work done....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Long time coming, but looks like the fix is resolving the issues that were plaguing owners. Go forth and enjoy
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

, I had mine done a few weeks ago and I am thrilled with the look, sound and comfortable ride, I do have to say, I never really had "real bad heat problems" ro BRP, you guys did a great job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have now put a little over 200 miles on my RTL since having the recall work done. I do like the way the scoops look. I considered painting the flat black part of the scoops Pearl White, but decided to leave them as is. The Spyder is noticeably louder, due to the removal of some panels under the Tupperware being removed, but not at all annoying. Now, as to the heat problems. I have ridden in 80 degree stop & go traffic, 75 degrees & rainy, today, 82 degrees on back roads - never got out of second gear - and finished off with an 80 MPH highway run. I stopped several times, just to take my right glove off and feel for heat around the front of the seat and right side panels, and sniff for gas fumes. All areas were cool to the touch which is a night & day difference from when the heat would roast my chestnuts. Also, no gas fumes. I have filled up a few times, and there was no boiling of gasoline in the tank either. I have to say that I am thrilled with the results of the recall. This is now a totally different machine from the one I bought and suffered with for two years. I really do think that BRP got this right. Any of you out there that have not had the recall work done, I would advise you to get it done as soon as possible. I think that you will be very pleased with the result.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm just grinning from one ear; to somebody else's ear across the room for you!!
    It's been a long and tough pull for you; I'm glad that it's proving to have been worth it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Great to hear your report from yet another satisfied customer. Mine goes in next week.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default ADDITIONAL RECALL INFORMATION FROM BRP

I just had an interesting conversation with a BRP representative today. I had called to tell him how happy I am with the results of the recall work. We chatted for a while, and then he told me something that just floored me. There has been a flood of calls to BRP by 2013 RT owners who flatly refuse to have the recall work done, because they hate the look of the scoops. These folks scream at the front line people on the phone, at their dealers, and anyone else who will listen. This seems very shortsighted to me. I personally do not mind the look of the scoops, probably in large part because they are doing what they were designed to do. At some point down the road, if something happens to one of these folks' Spyder, you can bet that they will be screaming even louder when they find out that there will be no help for them from BRP, as they chose to not have the work done. Bob D, a question for you. From an insurance standpoint, if a vehicle owner refuses to have recall work done, and if they then suffer a catastrophic event that the recall work could have prevented, would that give their insurance company a legal basis to deny the claim? Just wondering.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not having the recall work done would NOT affect the legitimacy of a claim
    And THAT, is a very good question!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not having the recall work done would NOT affect the legitimacy of a claim
    And THAT, is a very good question!!
    That really surprises me, but then again, nothing really surprises me anymore. Except for my wife falling in the Dallas TX airport (Love Field, not DFW) and BREAKING HER LEFT TIBIA. Short riding season for her this year.

Spyder Garage

I just had an interesting conversation with a BRP representative today. I had called to tell him how happy I am with the results of the recall work. We chatted for a while, and then he told me something that just floored me. There has been a flood of calls to BRP by 2013 RT owners who flatly refuse to have the recall work done, because they hate the look of the scoops. These folks scream at the front line people on the phone, at their dealers, and anyone else who will listen. This seems very shortsighted to me. I personally do not mind the look of the scoops, probably in large part because they are doing what they were designed to do. At some point down the road, if something happens to one of these folks' Spyder, you can bet that they will be screaming even louder when they find out that there will be no help for them from BRP, as they chose to not have the work done. Bob D, a question for you. From an insurance standpoint, if a vehicle owner refuses to have recall work done, and if they then suffer a catastrophic event that the recall work could have prevented, would that give their insurance company a legal basis to deny the claim? Just wondering.
    Thanks for sharing the update. We have not heard from any of those that have held back because of the "ugly" scoops, that I am aware of.

And yes, it will pose an interesting question if a fire or worse happens and the fix was refused.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trick is; how can you PROVE that not having had the work done on the bike is the cause of the loss?
    Any Lawyer worth his salt can make this argument stick.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thanks for sharing the update. We have not heard from any of those that have held back because of the "ugly" scoops, that I am aware of.

And yes, it will pose an interesting question if a fire or worse happens and the fix was refused.
    We had one on here from northern PA that traded in their 2013 for a 2015 because they did not like the scoops.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's my results

I'll go ahead and tag onto this thread rather than starting a new one.

My experience parallels oldguy's. I just did a trip of about 600 miles to north Idaho and back to go to a GWRRA rally. This was after the recall work was done. Much of the ride was in 90+ hot sunny weather. I haven't paid too much attention to how hot the glove box is but the little bit I have checked it, it definitely is cooler. Last Saturday seven of us rode about 60 miles in 105° temps. I had the only Spyder. Everything was hunky dory except for one item. I got a check engine light twice when we stopped at a couple of stores when we got back to town. I checked the code and it was for high ambient temperature. The thermo on the cluster showed 122°! I don't believe for one second that was a recall work related problem. Just a problem with the temp sensor being heated by the tupperware above it getting hot from the sun!

At this point it looks like gas mileage has been improved. On my trip to SpyderFest I had an average of 20.6 mpg pulling my tent-on-a-trailer. Wind, rain, and more wind, unquestionably impacted my mileage. On this trip, pulling the same trailer with a bit less load I averaged 24.3 mpg. Speed was lower by and large but still 65+ most all the time. I did have the plugs and wires replaced and a new air filter installed while they were doing the recall work so that may be a factor also. I'll have to travel many miles before I'm willing to give a somewhat solid number about mpg improvement, but it sure looks like that is a benefit we can enjoy.

As to the folks who say the scoops are ugly I hardly even notice them, while riding or just walking around the bike! The ones who don't want the recall work done must be masochists who enjoy subjecting themselves to suffering. All I can say is they are dumb, dumb, dumb!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm really glad wait to hear that your bike is finally running well Dwight. Hopefully Deb and I will see you and Val at spyderQuest in a couple months. Hopefully Val is doing better these days.

Spyder Garage

My understanding was If you did not want ANY part of the recall work done you must sign a waiver. I suppose it is a hold harmless waiver. Even having the EVAP part done might yield some results. I am on the fence about the look of the scoops. I would like them better if the were the same color of the bike but they are not as ugly as I first thought they grow on you. I also like my vehicles to be unique. My experience has been riding in the winter may require heated pants now. The whole front edge of my Ultimate seat runs a cool breeze through it. The Ultimate seems to me to have a bigger gap there than stock and it was very hot there before the recall. I can actually use the glove box now. The only time I feel heat is when it is stopped or parked a little heat soak warms things up a bit. My 2014 grille on the right side keeps my feet cool too and redirects the radiator airflow out ward at a stop. Over all, as much as I hate to say it I give the recall a 9 out of 10 rating. After all the debating and fighting and name calling I never though BRP could get it right. Well......

P.S.
    I suspect better gas mileage too I will give it some time before reporting it like WasWinger. The 2013 was getting lower (usually) MPG than previous years.
    Last edited by Magdave; 07-06-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to BOTH of you for the good results...
    Dave,
    I'm impressed... A "nine out of ten" rating from you; I KNOW that you gave it a tough test!

...and rightfully so!

Spyder Garage

Seems nice to have twice as much room in the glovebox now that the foam insert is no longer needed.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that I had earlier removed the two under panels to aid in air flow and keep from roasting my foot when I had it up on the highway peg. I took them with the bike since the instructions call for a prefilter to be mounted on the right side panel. They put the right one back on but not the left one. However, I'm going to look at taking it off and fastening the filter to something else. With the panel back on I'm getting some hot air through the right side hot hole even though I have the upper one blocked.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

It is not the upper that kills you it is the lower. With the 2014 grille honeycomb it directs the top out and away and blocks the lower. I have my lower cut so it opens on the left a little. Stand at the trunk and look through those holes you will see the fan blows straight back through them.

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    It is not the upper that kills you it is the lower. With the 2014 grille honeycomb it directs the top out and away and blocks the lower. I have my lower cut so it opens on the left a little. Stand at the trunk and look through those holes you will see the fan blows straight back through them.
    In my case it's the upper one that roasts my foot without the block. These two threads will show you why. My foot doesn't, and never did, get hot on the driver foot peg.

www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68323-NBV-peg-mounts-My-mod-for-it

www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69303-My-upper-heat-block-mod

2014 Copper RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It is baffling that some folks place looks of a bike over safety and comfort. Just goes to show you that you can't please everyone. Hope they don't get seriously hurt or something worse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But what is it, that they say about leading horses to water?

Spyder Garage

Dave, do you happen to have a part number for this grill? The open hole on the right side has always bothered me, and this looks like a good solution.

Spyder Garage

Never mind, found it. Cheap @ $18.99