Thread: Code PO174

Spyder Garage

Default Code PO174

I went on a ride Friday and when it came time to fill the tank we pulled into a gas station. I had to use the men's room so my friend filled my bike with fuel. I returned and found out that he had filled the tank with E85 gas. Not knowing what to do we continued on our trip. Around 75 mile, just before getting home, I capped off the tank with Shell high octane fuel. I never had a fault code but bike starting running rough. Idle was up and down. After I put the Shell gas in it ran ok. This morning I took my wife for a short trip and a check engine light came on. Shut the bike off and restarted but fault remained. Check for code and the code read PO174 Fuel system, to lean. Not sure what I need to do. Do you think I need to take the bike into dealer? The bike runs ok. Thanks, Bob

Spyder Garage

If it were mine, i would siphon any gas out of it and refill it with high test premium gas and add some sea foam or other additive to it, and drive it for at least an hour or so to be sure all that E85 fuel is out of there.

Hint: Fill your own tank and never let anyone else do it again.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default What year?

When my 2011 RTS threw that code it was a defective vacuum fitting on the TB. Might want to have a look depending on age and mileage.
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

check the vacuum lines going to the throttle body. Finless recently posted about this and looks like your issue...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Vacuum Lines

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    check the vacuum lines going to the throttle body. Finless recently posted about this and looks like your issue...
    Two short rubber vacuum lines from the MAP sensor, one to each throttle body. The 998's were notorious for those lines getting brittle and cracking, or even just not sealing tight where they go on the fitting. The shop manual says the two hoses are of a precise length and you should not substitute other hoses. However, many here have done so in an effort to get better quality hoses that will last longer. If you go that route, at least try to cut them to the exact length of the originals. If it's not the hoses, then you're looking at more serious things like O2 sensors, dirty gas filter, fuel injectors, etc. Come to think of it, it is strange that yours started the code after you had run almost a full tank of E85, not when the E85 was first put in. Is it possible the high alcohol content cleaned some stuff out of the tank and lines and plugged up your fuel filter? Just a wild idea.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces