Spyder Garage

Default Video: New GPS! My iPhone using a new RAM mount. Also tips on using Siri HANDS FREE

My new iPhone RAM mount! I got tired of my clunky old GPS. Smart phones have a way better GPS system on them in my opinion. So it was time to move my iPhone out of my trunk and onto the dash.

Also tips on how to use HANDS FREE MODE! Don't let me catch you all messing with your phone while riding

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does that work if you lose signal?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Does that work if you lose signal?
    If you loose cell service it will drop drawing the map but directions still work because your phone has a GPS in it.

However, you can also use Google Maps and Google Maps allows you to pre-download the maps on your route for storage on your phone.

I actually prefer Google Maps over the iPhone MAP app but you cannot kick off Google maps via SiRi

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Using smh10 and iphone5

I have been experimenting doing this with my setup, but once I speak to Siri once my phone goes back to the main icon screen. I have tried pressing the phone button, holding, pressing twice, holding longer which just goes to pairing mode. I'm thinking that you can't do this with either of the devices or one or the other. Then on the other hand I could be doing something wrong myself.
    I followed instructions in your video, I might have missed something. Any suggestions.

Thanks Dan
    2014 RTS Cognac

Spyder Garage

So when you press the button once, does Siri say anything to you at all?
    You press the button and wait and you will here the Siri ding and she should say "how can I help you"?

What phone model do you have and have you updated to the latest iOS?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Siri and iPhone5

Think I have it figured now, I have to be patient and let Siri connect..I'll get it with practice. Check and adjusted settings on the iPhone.
    2014 RTS Cognac

Spyder Garage

Outstanding, thank you for sharing.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    My new iPhone RAM mount! I got tired of my clunky old GPS. Smart phones have a way better GPS system on them in my opinion. So it was time to move my iPhone out of my trunk and onto the dash.

Also tips on how to use HANDS FREE MODE! Don't let me catch you all messing with your phone while riding

Bob

Spyder Garage

I really like your demonstration. However I was wondering if you can comment on how this works when you're on the road driving at 60 mph. How will Siri react to all the wind noise.

As well can you comment on what type of headphones to use or Bluetooth device to use inside your helmet.
    Ride it like you stole it!

Spyder Garage

You can also use and app HERE WeGo that lets you load maps of the states of other counties and you do not have to be on line to track mapping information. On line is if you need information about gas stations, restaurants and other business information.

Spyder Garage

Default TomTom Go app

Just an FYI, the tomtom go app actually downloads the maps to your iOS device. So loss of cell signal will not impact your GPS ability. I've Ben using it for the past year and like it quite a bit.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I really like your demonstration. However I was wondering if you can comment on how this works when you're on the road driving at 60 mph. How will Siri react to all the wind noise.

As well can you comment on what type of headphones to use or Bluetooth device to use inside your helmet.
    My video shows NOT using my Sena SM-20S headset for obvious reasons. It works the same. When you have BT headsets you press a button on the headset and ask or tell SIRI what to do.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hands free

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    This is was very informative, thank you. I also have the Sena and use the radio most of the time. Will I also be able to use the Sena to talk to Seri if I have the radio playing? I am very new to the can am so sorry if this question's answer seems obvious.

THANK YOU,

WNGLADY SOON TO BE ISPYD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wnglady View Post
    This is was very informative, thank you. I also have the Sena and use the radio most of the time. Will I also be able to use the Sena to talk to Seri if I have the radio playing? I am very new to the can am so sorry if this question's answer seems obvious.

THANK YOU,

WNGLADY SOON TO BE ISPYD
    Yes you can... You press the button on your Sena and you should hear SIRI.
    This is called hands free mode. You can even keep your phone in the trunk and never have to touch it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black