Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Default hand brake survey

Just wanted to know if anyone wishes they had done anything different with their hand brake.. I am going to be putting one on and want to be sure of the right one Thanks Jim

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I missed having a hand brake for about a week. Now, I don't miss it at all. I thought going between my bike and the Spyder would be confusing, but it wasn't.

Given the option now, I personally would not want or need a handbrake.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Dallas View Post
    I missed having a hand brake for about a week. Now, I don't miss it at all. I thought going between my bike and the Spyder would be confusing, but it wasn't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For those of us that are older and have bad knees, I think the hand brake is the best thing that I have added, along with the highway pegs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh, and missed the part about the "right one". I'm using Lamont's mod with a cable operated directly to the foot brake.

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

great where did you get your parts from.. What handle did you use.. Hopefully we can talk more sounds like we are in same boat with the knees Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don’t miss it, don't need it.
    I can, however, see where the leg position could affect the knees
    and for those affected a hand brake mod is a must.
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    great where did you get your parts from.. What handle did you use.. Hopefully we can talk more sounds like we are in same boat with the knees Thanks
    Go to "My Spyder Mods" Forum and look at Lamonster's Mods. I used his instructions and the same parts that he mentioned, stock M109R clutch cable, Dirt bike generic clutch lever assembly, and fabricated brackets from his pictures. I purchased a cheap clutch lever and am still looking for one similar to what Lamont has. His instructions are a great help!

Spyder Garage

Default hand brakes.....a must for the handicapped!

Hey Team,

Just caught this thread, and had to jump in.

Being a complete paraplegic, I could NOT ride without the handbrake conversion I designed last year. When I was at the Homecoming event, at BRP in Valcourt this past summer, I had loads of questions about what and how I did it. Which lead me to thinking that there is a huge demand for it.

Others have made variations, using cables, others a unique slave cylinder design. Me, I went hydraulic all the way and redid the lines up to a huge Brembo on the bar.

It's been 34 years since a motorbike accident put me in this wheelchair, but I could not image riding a motorbike of any design, without handle bar mounted brake system. Cables and slave cylinders allow for brake application by either foot or hand, which is awesome. But when I need to stop, I want nothing to interfere with the hydraulic application of pads to the rotors.

I have had several good discussions with BRP about my braking design....and it is my humble opinion, that they will not further explore this option. The view from my 'chair', is that introducing a hand brake system, as this would remove the Spyder from a 'roadster' statis in many States.....therefore, lost market share, as only bike riders with bike licenses, could ride the Spyder. Image loosing California as a market, where the Spyder is a 'roadster' and requires only a auto license. Ok, again, just my personal opinion.

Have a safe journey into 2009, floto612

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by floto612 View Post
    Hey Team,

Just caught this thread, and had to jump in.

Being a complete paraplegic, I could NOT ride without the handbrake conversion I designed last year. When I was at the Homecoming event, at BRP in Valcourt this past summer, I had loads of questions about what and how I did it. Which lead me to thinking that there is a huge demand for it.

Others have made variations, using cables, others a unique slave cylinder design. Me, I went hydraulic all the way and redid the lines up to a huge Brembo on the bar.

It's been 34 years since a motorbike accident put me in this wheelchair, but I could not image riding a motorbike of any design, without handle bar mounted brake system. Cables and slave cylinders allow for brake application by either foot or hand, which is awesome. But when I need to stop, I want nothing to interfere with the hydraulic application of pads to the rotors.

I have had several good discussions with BRP about my braking design....and it is my humble opinion, that they will not further explore this option. The view from my 'chair', is that introducing a hand brake system, as this would remove the Spyder from a 'roadster' statis in many States.....therefore, lost market share, as only bike riders with bike licenses, could ride the Spyder. Image loosing California as a market, where the Spyder is a 'roadster' and requires only a auto license. Ok, again, just my personal opinion.

Have a safe journey into 2009, floto612
    I am lucky to have only lost my left leg so I can use the foot brake. It took a few days to get used to it, but I don't miss the hand brake at all while riding. Releasing the parking brake would be much easier, however, if I had a hand brake to hold the byke up on a hill. Although I have a "C-Leg" it is difficult to release the brake while seated on the Spyder. I understand that Bombardier cannot put all kinds of Mods on every bike, but would be more impressed with them if they "worked with us" to get the best mods available (even at our own costs). I was happy to see the SE5 model and that is what I purchsed. Prior to that I was thinking about the Klicktronic on the M5.
    Hope to ryde with you sometime. Elora is NICE country!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A hand brake would not remove the Spyder from not requiring a motorcycle license in California. It would still be defined as a motorcycle, which it is even now, but having three wheels exempts it from requiring a motorcycle endorsement on the CA drivers license. Having a hand brake certainly wouldn't hurt their market here (CA) and in all likelihood would help it.

I'm going with the master/slave system that "Nexus" developed. I'm waiting for the cylinder parts to arrive from a couple of internet suppliers.

Spyder Garage

That is how I felt, but I have changed my mind. There are three times when I still miss a hand brake when using my .
    1. When pushing the Spyder around on uneven ground.
    2. When dealing with the parking brake etc. on a slope.
    3. When pushing hard through right hand turns I can't cover the brake pedal with my foot.
    A hand brake will be one of my 09 mods. Ryde Safe and Enjoy
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For those disabled riders looking for a hand brake ONLY option (no foot brake a all) I recommend you get in touch with floto612. His system taps directly into the BRP system, replacing the foot operated mechanism with a hand operated one. Very well done.

Spyder Garage

When the highway pegs go on, the hand brake goes on, not going to ryde with my foot that far from the brake pedal without some sort of backup.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    When the highway pegs go on, the hand brake goes on, not going to ryde with my foot that far from the brake pedal without some sort of backup.
    Put the highway pegs on one weekend and rode the week. Put the hand brake on the next weekend. It was a little un-nerving being that far away from the brake pedal.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That's why I put on floorboards instead of highway pegs.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

yep I am forgoing the hand brake and going to install some type of floor board. Just sent my brakets back to magic man 20 percent restocking fees ouuuccccccchhhh

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i have installed the handbrake just like lamonster, and i wouldnt ride without it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    yep I am forgoing the hand brake and going to install some type of floor board. Just sent my brakets back to magic man 20 percent restocking fees ouuuccccccchhhh
    One thing's for sure, there are plenty of great mods out there that don't work for everybody. I bought those same highway brackets back in April and they didn't do much for me. I transfered them to dltang's Spyder and made her two different versions of an extension bracket to use with her floorboards. She tweaked it until she found what works great for her. We've taken a beating on selling used mods, sometimes much worse than 20%. Because its sometimes hard to envision exactly how well a mod will work for you, I am prepared for the possibility that some portion of that money (or all of it) will be lost if I decide to return, resell or just take off the mod and leave it sit in the garage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Modify to handbrake

Hi all, I lost my right leg in motorcycle accident last July. I am purchasing a Spyder and will need to modify to hand brake, I would appreciate hearing about all of the different modifications so I can evaluate and choose the best for me. Thanks

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chinagirl View Post
    Hi all, I lost my right leg in motorcycle accident last July. I am purchasing a Spyder and will need to modify to hand brake, I would appreciate hearing about all of the different modifications so I can evaluate and choose the best for me. Thanks
    welcome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chinagirl View Post
    welcome
    This is the one I have now and the only one I trust. I had a cable brake but I was always concerned it might break.
    http://www.industrialspecialty.com/I...andbrakesystem

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I found that website last night, living in the ozark mountains I need to be sure i can always stop. I have a C-Leg, but want the option.

Live today for tomorrow is not promised..........