Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder_RT View Post
    Has anyone put a handbrake on the RT-S yet if you have were did you put the handbrake. Did you have to cut off part of the handle bar shield. Can you show a pic of it

ride safe all
    We have put a handbrake on the 2010 RT. It was on display in Daytona. The handle bar shield is part of the kit that we sell. We have purchased several from BRP and modified them to work with our brake system. Very neat and clean after assembly. This will be on my web page very shortly. We are taking advance orders for this item as well.
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ISCI Billy View Post
    We have put a handbrake on the 2010 RT. It was on display in Daytona. The handle bar shield is part of the kit that we sell. We have purchased several from BRP and modified them to work with our brake system. Very neat and clean after assembly. This will be on my web page very shortly. We are taking advance orders for this item as well.
    thanks Billy for the info

Do you have any pic of this setup and how much will it be for it

Spyder Garage

Never tried to see what was max pressures, but did try to see if the hand brake could give you the same pressures as the foot brake. Also happened to notice that if you used both you could get the same brake pressure with using less force at each location. Damage the system, you are still only activating the same slave cylinder that your foot engages and if you stood on that foot brake you would get crazy pressures also. Remember also, abs will kick in as soon as any wheel locks up. My point is your foot is not always where it needs to be in an emergency and your hand is, unless you are using cruise control.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

thanks Billy for the info

Do you have any pic of this setup and how much will it be for it

Here are a couple of photos I took last week.
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Billy

Quote Originally Posted by ISCI Billy View Post
    Here are a couple of photos I took last week.
    have you set a price for the setup yet

Spyder Garage

have you set a price for the setup yet
    $1,250.00 is the retail price for the RT handbrake system. We are now taking preorders. We should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks.
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile YES

ISCI hand brake and floorboards are the best thing I've done to my Spyder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default brake

how does this mod effect the warranty is it from the factory.?????? does insurance cover you if it fails.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

My problem with not having a hand brake is, Because the Spyder is foot brake only when i ride my two wheeler
    i tend use the rear brake too often and too hard, Which is a no no.
    So i guess if you never road a two wheeler you wouldn't miss a hand brake.
    That's the crowd BRP was shooting for.
    Guess they didn't think about the handicapped!?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    My problem with not having a hand brake is, Because the Spyder is foot brake only when i ride my two wheeler
    i tend use the rear brake too often and too hard, Which is a no no.
    So i guess if you never road a two wheeler you wouldn't miss a hand brake.
    That's the crowd BRP was shooting for.
    Guess they didn't think about the handicapped!?
    I really notice it too when I switch back and forth. Added the front brake handle to the Spyder and now its a comfortable change, no matter which one I am on.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I really notice it too when I switch back and forth. Added the front brake handle to the Spyder and now its a comfortable change, no matter which one I am on.
    I might have to go that way , Hate those white knuckle stops with a lock rear tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I guess I am the odd man out. I don't seem to notice, although I grab a handful of air on the Spyders occasionally. I have the most trouble with the turn signals. Different on everything that I own that has them. Always seems to force me to look or fumble. BTW, I do have to be careful with the left-hand brake/right-hand shift on my Triumph.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Quote Originally Posted by GA-SPYDER View Post
    For those of us that are older and have bad knees, I think the hand brake is the best thing that I have added, along with the highway pegs.

The ISCI hand brake was my first mod. I'm glad I did it.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    . BTW, I do have to be careful with the left-hand brake/right-hand shift on my Triumph.
    Now that would really throw me for a loop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I'm wondering with a hand brake if anybody has looked into separating the front and rear or is Nanny too involved to allow for that? Now that would be a sweet set up.
    Not going to happen readily. This is an Electronically Distributed Braking system...distributed to three wheels, on top of that. You would have to throw out the ABS and probably the nanny, too. I know lots of folks dream of that, but without Nanny, this thing would swap ends in a heartbeat. Be careful what you wish for!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Not going to happen readily. This is an Electronically Distributed Braking system...distributed to three wheels, on top of that. You would have to throw out the ABS and probably the nanny, too. I know lots of folks dream of that, but without Nanny, this thing would swap ends in a heartbeat. Be careful what you wish for!
    I know man! I tried it. Yes I did!! It didn't work out too well!! SO everything is back where it should be. Everyone has different needs and wants regarding the hand brake. I would not mind having one but the only reason I would do it is to segragate the front from the rear brakes; pedal for the back and lever for the fronts. That way I could trail-brake. Man if I could do that it would be fantastic!

But I have found overall that the braking system on this Spyder is a very good one. Great stopping power and very responsive. So at this point no lever will see the right handlebar. Especially at the prices they are getting for those things. Like I said, everyone has different wants or needs for it. without front/rear separation, I personally have no need.

What I have developed is an alternate technique or a kind of brake "drag" or "feather" that seems to work pretty well. It does not upset setup and you only need to do it if you come in a bit hot. Most of the time when I'm charging I don't really touch the brakes at all.

But man, I came around this blind right-hander once and this guy was nearly stopped in the road, not paying attention, sight-seeing in his Beemer convertable. I had a foot-full of brake then baby!! and the brakes responded beautifully. Would a hand brake be more useful in that situation? I don't know; I really don't think so. At least not for me. My reflex went right for the pedal. That 20 or so years away from riding made me not miss the hand brake.

Now, if there was a way to shift brake bias more to the rear... NOW WE HAVE SOMETHING!! Boy that would be sweet...
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

BTW, I do have to be careful with the left-hand brake/right-hand shift on my Triumph.
    One of riding buddies back in the early 70's had a Triumph,lefty/righty.
    If i remember correctly it was also a Rinky dink, I could never get the hang of it.
    We were always working in that bike, between the prince of darkness and digging out the Whitworth's ,Well i was glad he got rid of it. More fun riding than repairing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ya I would be interested in the hand brake too, If maybe they were 1/2 the price they'r going for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    That is how I felt, but I have changed my mind. There are three times when I still miss a hand brake when using my .
    1. When pushing the Spyder around on uneven ground.
    2. When dealing with the parking brake etc. on a slope.
    3. When pushing hard through right hand turns I can't cover the brake pedal with my foot.
    A hand brake will be one of my 09 mods. Ryde Safe and Enjoy
    sabunim5
    Exactly!!!!!
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I know man! I tried it. Yes I did!! It didn't work out too well!!...
    Oh, yeah? Do tell. Really.

When I was on the Spyder, there were countless times where the Nanny saved my bacon. I would never have gone without it.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Oh, yeah? Do tell. Really.

When I was on the Spyder, there were countless times where the Nanny saved my bacon. I would never have gone without it.

Whatup Dude! Since this is a hand brake thread I shal start a new one in a bit and I shall share my sorted tale of this experience! Like I said, it didn't work out too well!! Good for a laugh or two perhaps though!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

When I first got the Spyder I didn't miss the hand brake at all. The anti-lock brakes worked so well, it seemed to stop on a dime. When I decided to go to highway pegs I wanted the peace of mind of having a hand brake so I added ISCI pegs and hand brake. I could not believe the difference that the hand brake added in stopping power when using both foot and hand brake at the same time. This is some of the best $ spent on my Spyder and if I traded up to the RT it would be among the first mods. By the way Lamont switched to the ISCI handbrake as well. It is one well built system. I would not want to ride without it now that I have used it. ISCI

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also suggest the ISCI handbrake setup. It leaves the original footbrake completely operational and is engineered and constructed of first rate materials. Expensive, but you do get what you pay for. Straightforward installation too. Everything is included except the brake fluid.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!