Thread: Newbe again

Spyder Garage

Default Newbe again

Hello everyone. I'm new to the world for Spyders. Haven't gotten one yet but looking for a used one. Have a VTX 1300c with a motor trike kit installed that my wife and I ride but when she sat on a new RT last week it was instant " no I don't like it". Not sure why did get her to test ride it with my but still the word is no. So now I plan on keeping the Honda and look for me a ST to ride. I have read the Do's and Do not listed here which gave me some good information. Only question now is Manual or Simi auto. I've not ridden an ST but have a test ride set up next week. The RT I loved it when I rode but keeping the Honda my pockets are not as deep as they use to be. Inputs to this are accepted. If I posted wrong let me know I'm new to boards also. Have a Happy 4th and be safe.

Spyder Garage

Test rides on some different models are in order here. That would be my recommendation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderland. Lots of good information on this site.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

If you test rode a new RT, well don't expect maybe the same "thrill"
    from any model that is packin' the 998 twin.
    MOTOR is the 1st word in motorcycle !

test test test.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

............ do those test drives and HAPPY SHOPPING

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the welcome. One thing I've been running into is dealers will not let you test ride. They claim insurance is an issue but I can buy the trike and if I don't like it I can return it. That one got me sure I can return it but at a loss. One thing I was going to do was rent on for the afternoon but dealer is in Orlando. I was there a few weeks ago GPS does not agree with the roads got lost and was not able to find the dealer. I did look at a '13 ST but looking at the rear tire just looked like too much wear for the miles. I didn't think you can spin the tire that much with the traction control or am I not understanding the trikes systems. Ride with wife yesterday was met with why is our trike so much rougher then the Spyder we road.

Spyder Garage

Find a dealer that will let you test ride. I did 3 test rides before my purchase, same dealer same machine. First time my wife hated it. By the time I was done with my 3rd test ride- I knew I wanted one- and that test was a 2 hour test ride. My wife went to the salesman and said he'll take it.

Spyder Garage

Definitely agree with the fact that test rides are so important to your decision. F3 is different than the RT, although they have the same motor. The RT is different than the ST due to the setup and motor....The variables and options are too numerous to mention between all three models! If the nearby dealer is not going to allow you to test ride them and you're serious about buying, find a dealer within a two or three hour drive that will allow you to test them. I would not recommend buying it to then try and return it if you're not happy. That just sounds like you are going to get screwed and you'll walk away unhappy.

My wife rides a Honda gold wing 1800 motor trike (inherited from her father) that she will not part with. When I moved it from the garage and took it around the block, I was amazed at how lose the steering felt, and how the front end didn't absorb the bumps like the spyder does. I actually told her that it feels unsafe to me and that there is something wrong with it, but that is because I'm used to the awesome, smooth, easy to steer front end of the spyder. So with that being said, I'm in the same boat as you were... The lady will keep the old trike and you get a new spyder! But make sure you try them all, because I hear the F3 is fun and the fastest out there for the spyders. Sure I like the storage area of my 2014 RT-S and I love the bigger motor and improved maintenance schedule, but I probably would love the F3 more lol.

You have a tough decision ahead... But please do your homework on all the options and models, extended warranty plans, service and maintenance plans, etc before buying. Because at the closing table, they throw a bunch of numbers at you and you'll not be prepared for what's fair or what's a rip off....I was a victim lol. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks