Thread: Close call

Spyder Garage

Default Close call

Decide to take my 08 GS out for a quick (1hr)ride. But, had to get gas. Being NJ is cheaper and I live right across the boarder, that's where I go. I was riding two to three car lengths behind a smaller SUV. In front of the SUV was another vehicle..a greenish four door SUV type thing. I saw everything in slow motion. The greenish SUV begins to drift to the right..strikes the curb, clips the power pole, stikes a fire hydrant and rolls! The smaller SUV in front of me, hits his brakes and turns his wheels to the right. I apply the brake while steering to the left of the SUV, pull in the clutch and stop just past the one in front of me.
    Hit the kill switch and get to the overturned SUV. A woman, who's only injury was a split lower lip, is sitting on the headliner telling me she needs to get her stuff together, not to call the police or ambulance, and wants to exit onto the shattered glass that use to be her passenger side window. In my expert opinion, shock was not what she was experiencing, rather the effects of some sort of substance. She also kept saying she was looking at her "navigation system".(This section of road is straight and 35 mph. She said she was going to Macco to paint her car. There is none in the area, that I know of)
    The local police, fire and EMS arrived. I was thanked for my assistance, shook some hands, and continued on my ride. When will motorists learn that a navigation system does not assist with operating a motor vehicle.
    20150703_104738.jpg
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Methinks the nav system was by Smirnoff!

Glad you're ok.

That didn't happen to be near Port Jervis, was it? I was stuck in traffic on US 6 while out for my ride.
    Last edited by Trbayth; 07-03-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Methinks the nav system was by Smirnoff!

Glad you're ok.

That didn't happen to be near Port Jervis, was it? I was stuck in traffic on US 6 while out for my ride.
    Roger, it was just over the boarder of Montvale, NJ..about 10:30am. Took a ride up the NYS Thruway, started hitting slow moving traffic right when I was getting to 17 local in Sloatsburg. But the Thruway and PIP North were both bad.
    Took over 4 1/2 hrs for my buddy to get to Pa..normally take 2 hrs..crazy
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

glad you handled the situation so well.. when she gets to Macco they will have thier work cut out for them.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you were able to "Stay out of the soup"!

It's been like one GIGSNTIC demolition derby up here around us! We've had 8 car pile-ups, and a motorcyclist fatality so far...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Gald you're OK Vader good thing you held your distance. There are so many drivers that do not pay attention to the road even with out a substance involved. I drive 684 in NY to work everyday and the amount of drivers texting, reading the paper, and I have even seen them applying makeup in the vanity mirror.

Ride Safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you see them applying make-up; Lay on your horn with a good blast!
    That ought to give them a few extra smudges...

Spyder Garage

While in bumper to bumper traffic on the NYS Thruway on Thursday morning, I was merging on to the Thruway and was amazed to see a motorist in a white pickup allowing me to get in front of him. I waved, then realized he was sound asleep behind the wheel.
    And being I was driving with my sin, who had just attended one of many drivers education classes, I almost wanted to thank that guy foe the conversation my son and I then had about driving while tired.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cue the music...

Spyder Garage

The combination of irresponsible and stupid can be lethal. Stay alert and safe you all.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The percentage of idiots on the road seem to be increasing . . . or is it the percentage of idiots, nationwide, that is increasing, and the numbers on the road are a reflection of that.

A recent news story, in the DC area was about people bitching about speed cams issuing tickets to speeders . . . in school zones! A county in Maryland started installing them, and people are irate. How can people think it is OK to zip through 15 MPH school zones at 50 and then get angry when they get ticketed?

The fact that that woman had a navigation device doesn't mean the device caused the accident . . . her ignorance caused it.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    The percentage of idiots on the road seem to be increasing . . . or is it the percentage of idiots, nationwide, that is increasing

The fact that that woman had a navigation device doesn't mean the device caused the accident . . . her ignorance caused it.
    I see more and more people rolling through stop signs. Speeding, tailgating, lack of using directional is the main reason I tend to ride earlier in the day. Not so much on weekends and on the less traveled roads.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Come on up this way!
    We've got lots of access to the best riding in the State!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pineywoods36 View Post
    .....drivers texting, reading the paper, and I have even seen them applying makeup....!

One pretty morning here in beautiful Michigan, I stopped at stop sign. Look left, look right - where a little old lady was backing out of her driveway into 2 pedestrians. Fortunately my screams are quite loud and the walkers jumped to safety.
    So, you have to be very careful, even while walking.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779