Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any videos on how to operate a Can Am Spyder?

I am going to rent a Spyder (automatic) next week. I rode a Spyder last year at Americade for a few hours, was great! But of course I've forgotten all the controls.

I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years.

I searched YouTube but didn't find any videos on the specifics of shifting, paddle operation, etc. Anyone know where I can view one before I rent?

Yes of course I am going to ask for a full overview before I drive it home. I just want a heads up.

I'm renting to take my 85 year old dad for a ride to fulfill his dream of daughter and father riding together!

Thanks!

Peg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by studiopeg View Post
    I am going to rent a Spyder (automatic) next week. I rode a Spyder last year at Americade for a few hours, was great! But of course I've forgotten all the controls.

I searched YouTube but didn't find any videos on the specifics of shifting, paddle operation, etc. Anyone know where I can view one before I rent?

Yes of course I am going to ask for a full overview before I drive it home. I just want a heads up.

I'm renting to take my 85 year old dad for a ride to fulfill his dream of daughter and father riding together!

Thanks!

Peg
    A refresher course by the renting dealer should be done before they turn you loose. Carrying a passenger is also an extra responsibility. Many accidents happen when people are unfamiliar with a particular vehicle. Most people on here state that there is a learning curve of about 500 miles before they feel totally comfortable with the .

Just a few things to think about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A refresher course by the renting dealer should be done before they turn you loose. Carrying a passenger is also an extra responsibility. Many accidents happen when people are unfamiliar with a particular vehicle. Most people on here state that there is a learning curve of about 500 miles before they feel totally comfortable with the .

Just a few things to think about.
    goodness I intend to take him around the block and around town. I've had people on the back of my Harley for years. You're not being helpful. If you know of any videos please share, that's all I asked
    Last edited by studiopeg; 07-02-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Peg

Below is a link to a BRP overview & training video. This video came on a DVD with my spyder.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

goodness I intend to take him around the block and around town. I've had people on the back of my Harley for years. You're not being helpful. If you know of any videos please share, that's all I asked
    Dealers should have access to the training video that is included with each owners manual. You may find it helpful in handling the Spyder. Controls are not shown in the "training" video.

I also have driven motorcycles since 1964 (51 years). I was not comfortable driving the Spyder until I had almost 1000 miles under my belt.

Sorry if you took my advice the wrong way. I just don't want someone to have a bad experience. Most likely, you will be just fine with your rental. I am sure your rental dealer knows what they are doing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default QUICK COURSE

Except for the difference in the physical controls....just drive it like a car with handlebars and you should be fine .....The day I rode my first Spyder ( and then traded my GW that day for it ).....That's exactly what the Dealer told me to do and I had zero problems...............Mike ....PS I would watch the video as suggested......

Spyder Garage

Default Can Am videos

Hi Peg,

For your question below.

"specifics of shifting, paddle operation, etc. Anyone know where I can view one before I rent?"

The above video includes training on "specifcs of shifting, paddle operation, etc." for both semi-automatic and manual transmissions. The control trainings are in various sections of this video, so you'll need to search do a little searching if you are not up for watching the entire video.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

The location of the controls are not an issue, There is nothing easier than driving a spyder. The only thing is for your body to relax and take control. With each ride, it gets easier and easier. Just enjoy and ride within your own abilities.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Relax. .!!

you have many years under your belt and I can't imagine you have forgotten much. Having ryden for a few hours already it will take from the door to the drive way to remember. I picked mine up the day I saw it and rode it home having never been on one before. You will find some videos but a little parking lot fun will do you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ONE WORD OF CAUTION!

Thanks!

Peg
    You should practice panic stops on your new Spyder automatic. After 30 years of two-wheelers your mind will direct your left hand to the CLUTCH LEVER. NOT GOOD!!
    PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE!!
    CapNCrunch : =)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    Below is a link to a BRP overview & training video. This video came on a DVD with my spyder.

THANKS!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I took a test drive at a South Texas dealership near Devine TX about 5 years ago and all my years riding a bike fought with what I should have been doing and I decided the test drive was enough. I subsequently bought a couple of conventional trikes and learned how to steer with the bars and not counter-steer. and when I took another test ride on a Spyder, it was totally familiar except no brake lever on the handlebar. That didn't take long to relearn. I have been riding and raced extensively from the late 60s to the mid-80s so I can ride a bike but I think ingrained habits make picking up riding a Spyder a tad of a challenge. Before running around with your passenger, give yourself 100 miles on back roads at low speeds with little traffic. Make sure the Spyder's suspension is set up correctly before canyon carving as it does make a BIG difference on this vehicle.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did extremely well on my first ride on the Can Am - one hour ride over twisties and no problems transitioning from a conventional bike to a Can Am. I have been blessed with extremely wonderful hand eye coordination. Other areas are lacking tho

Anyway, the Cam Am dealer called me to say that the Can Am's transmission went out and it will be weeks before it's repaired.

Oh well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the transition seems to be easy for you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black