Thread: WHEN I GOT HOME

Spyder Garage

Default WHEN I GOT HOME

Good afternoon All,

Something new happened to me the other day.

When I got home after an afternoon of riding, at a temperature of around 90, about a cup or so of Preston spit out of the trike, when I turned off the engine, it scared the hell out of me.

This morning I got the trike on the ramp to check her out, no leaks anywhere.

I wonder if it the overflow that would have relieved itself after a hot day.

I looked at the overflow tank, but can't see a damn thing.

Any comments.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use a flash light it will help. Also check the cap to see if it is tight.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll have to bring it up to temperature again, and see if it's got any leaks in the system.
    The reservoir
    The clamps that hold the radiator hoses
    The water pump...

... are all good places to look for "Bad News"...

Good Luck; lease let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Same thing happened to me on a trip to Lake Garda,Italy. I drove three hours and it was a hot day as well. I parked and with a splash about two cups of coolant ran out of my 2012 RS. I had the dealer look at it and he said it was the overflow. But I really didn't feel at ease driving for another 300 miles through the Alps on a 100° day. I ended up renting a car with a good well working A/C 😝

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Good afternoon All,

Something new happened to me the other day.

When I got home after an afternoon of riding, at a temperature of around 90, about a cup or so of Preston spit out of the trike, when I turned off the engine, it scared the hell out of me.

This morning I got the trike on the ramp to check her out, no leaks anywhere.

I wonder if it the overflow that would have relieved itself after a hot day.

I looked at the overflow tank, but can't see a damn thing.

Any comments.

Dom
    check coolant tank! It probably was either over filled or split under pressure

Spyder Garage

Default WHEN I GOT HOME

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    check coolant tank! It probably was either over filled or split under pressure

Well, I checked and rechecked, nothing.

I checked the overflow tank, I can see the HOT sign and line, but just can't see if any fluid in the tank, or what level its at, so I added some, then again I filled it up, by mistake since I couldn't see where I was with the quantity.

The following is from an unexperienced DIYfer. when I was pouring the antifreeze in the overflow tank, I realized that either trapped air or liquid was preventing me from adding fluid. ( Sorry for the stupidity )

So I am still at an impass, do I have Prestone or not, or too much, how can I drain the overflow tank.

Dum DOm

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Take one for the team

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post

Well, I checked and rechecked, nothing.

I checked the overflow tank, I can see the HOT sign and line, but just can't see if any fluid in the tank, or what level its at, so I added some, then again I filled it up, by mistake since I couldn't see where I was with the quantity.

The following is from an unexperienced DIYfer. when I was pouring the antifreeze in the overflow tank, I realized that either trapped air or liquid was preventing me from adding fluid. ( Sorry for the stupidity )

So I am still at an impass, do I have Prestone or not, or too much, how can I drain the overflow tank.

Dum DOm
    I just finished installing a new water pump on my 2010 RT. It's time to involve a dealer. There is a "weeper" hole that will let you (or your dealer) see a flow if the water pump seal has failed. There is every possibility that the water pump is the source of your leak. Small amounts of antifreeze will simply get blown out the bottom until there is a serious flow that will show up on your garage floor. May God have mercy on your wallet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I can't see a darn thing

I pulled the right service cover to check the water level and I couldn't read anything, Fluid was not visible at all through the white plastic and it was so tight. Do I need to remove another panel?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Consider Adding Some Coolant

Consider adding some coolant. The "full" mark is about all you can see after removing the service panel. Take a flashlight and you will find that the "full" is what you can see above the bracket that holds the coolant tank. Do not overfill it. This is not an "overflow" tank. It is an integral part of the cooling system.
    Last edited by Ben Burped; 07-08-2015 at 10:58 PM.