Spyder Garage

Default Connecticut now has an endorsement for 3 wheeled motorcycles

Public Act No. 15-46

AN ACT CONCERNING THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES' RECOMMENDATIONS WITH RESPECT TO AUTOCYCLES AND THREE-WHEELED MOTORCYCLES

This Public Act was signed by the governor on June 5, 2015.

I am still pleased that I was able to pass the requirements on 2 wheels a couple years ago. But I do know several folks who had been denied the pleasure of a Spyder because the physically could not ride 2 wheels for the liscensing class.

Spyder Garage

Glad to see this. It is really necessary for states to qualify under Americans with Disabilities (ADA) Act so I believe more states will follow
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if throwing this into the "ADA pile", is the best way to do it...

...But whatever it takes! Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

All states should do this. Have said that there needs to be some re-classification with all these enclosed three wheelers coming along. I believe Trikes (conventional and reverse), motorcycles (with or without sidecars) and enclosed auto style three wheelers should each have a catagory . You should also test on/in that vehicle. Kinda like taking your test in the family car for a semi license... well now they can register the slingshot...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

WA has the 3 wheel endorsement.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm not sure if throwing this into the "ADA pile", is the best way to do it...

...But whatever it takes! Thanks!
    I sure don't want to see the or other three wheelers designated as "handicapped" vehicles. Many that ride (I am guessing the majority) are not handicapped in any way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And therein lies the problem...
    If the public starts to consider the Spyder as little more than a REALLY fancy wheelchair; what will that do to sales???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And therein lies the problem...
    If the public starts to consider the Spyder as little more than a REALLY fancy wheelchair; what will that do to sales???
    Besides, and from a practical standpoint, that sucker is a real bear to drive up my 17 stairs. It gets stuck in the chair lift, has a real wide turning radius for indoor use, and stinks up the house with exhaust. A fun ride going down though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default NEW NEVADA LAW

On May 14 the Governor signed a new law in Nevada that changes the definition of a "trimoboile" is every motor vehicle designed to travel with three wheels in contact with the ground, at least one of which is a power driven. This does not include a motorcycle with a sidecar. So what does this mean 1. Current law exempts the requirement to wear a helmet when operating a trimobile. 2. The DMV will no longer issue Motorcycle (class M) licenses. To operate a tremble, you may have a class A, B, or C license to operate a tremble and no restrictions are required. Those with the (class M) will be grandfathered in. I still be be wearing a helmet but maybe other will not.

Spyder Garage

Default CT Class called "Autocycles" have three wheels

The CT Rider Ed Program requirement does not apply to the class of motorcycles known as “autocycles” that was also created through Public Act 15-46. Autocycles have three wheels, but unlike trikes, they have steering wheels and foot pedals and are fully or partially enclosed. An autocycle rider is not required to have an endorsement on his or her license.

The CREP will use dedicated motorcycle safety funds to retrofit Suzuki TU250 motorcycles with trike conversion kits produced by Yelvington Trikes L.L.C out of Seminole Florida. Spyders will be acquired through a no cost dealer loan program from CanAm-BRP at a local dealer. Side-cars will be incorporated as soon as a qualified vendor has been identified. These conversions and loaner programs have allowed the State to provide training and vehicles to perspective students at very little cost.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info! If you hear any more about start-up dates for these courses; please let us know!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am disabled and handicapped due to a work related accident. For years I rode a Honda 750-4,Triumph,Kawasaki mach 3 500 and a few Harleys. Can Am Spyder makes it where I can ride again. Ride Safe.

Spyder Garage

And I ride the spyder because I had a bad accident on a two wheeler and decided I just wasn't that good on two wheels. And a simple mistake on two wheels can take your life... Whereas the spyder is a little more forgiving. Sure, it's what is between the eyes that makes the ultimate difference but I'll lessen my probability of repeating the previous accident by riding my spyder. And I'm far from being disabled, although I suffer from an occasional bulging disc in my back.

Now, I think the training and licensing standards should be changed slightly to accommodate the trikes, but at the end of the day anyone on the road needs to treat it like a privilege and not a right, and needs to know the GD rules. I'm seeing more and more drivers doing whatever they want and being totally distracted by fill in the blank, it's f'n scary.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder/trike classes

This is the pdf that is at ct.gov/dot concerning the S/TEP Sidecar Trike Education program

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...flyer_2015.pdf
    License for CT drivers need the class take in CT.. I didn't find the schedule - but I am sure it is there.

If you want a trike license in MA, NY, VT or NH ( I think all are obtainable) Pioneer Rider Training out of Westfield MA has a Trike/Spyder class July 18 and 19 coming up.

Spyder Garage

I know that one of the ways to get CT to institute a 3 wheel license was by pointing out to politicians that Handicapped individuals were being discriminated against. This was a political necessity to get cooperation. There was a long time bias toward 3 wheel vehicles that was based on engineering (cars) from "Way Back".

As far as the public getting an idea of trikes being another wheelchair thing......Well the public will believe what they will. Many think all bikers are either hoodlums or crazy sports riders. Remember that opinions are like.........we all have them.

I am very happy my state has finally come out of the Dark Ages in this matter and thank all the people who worked with the politicians and behind the scenes to get this accomplished. The deserve accolades. It was not easy for them.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Default true?

I read some place that we now pilot an Autocycle? 3 down and gone.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default AutoCycle

AutoCycles have steering wheels and foot pedals and are fully or partially enclosed.
    Ex: Polaris Slingshot

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

as of this year NY has 3 wheel license

Spyder Garage

PA has had a three wheel motorcycle endorsement for a few years now. If you want to take the free safety / license classes you have to bring your own bike. If you take the free safety / license classes for two wheels, They supply the little 250cc bikes for free. (Two wheels gets you three, but three does not allow two.)