Thread: Ryding style

Spyder Garage

Question Ryding style

I was at the dealer last week wondering why the (2008 GS SM5) was dragging and trying to conk out in the corners. I guess it's the dreaded all your fluids need to be changed, plugs fouling out and a few other $$inexpensive$$ Spyder maintenance items. The man behind the counter said something that got me to thinking... he said something along the lines of "Most people on these bikes don't ride like you do" Made me wonder if I'm on one end or the other of ryders spectrum.
    I live in SE Michigan and ryde between April mid to late Oct. to mid Nov.

I have owned since July 2013 when it had 6800mi. In two years it is now closing in on 20,000mi. so basically I'm looking at 7000mi. per ryding season or 1000 mi. per month. I try to run about 4000 revs while cruising. Mostly my rydes are 100 mi. there and 100 mi back @ 55mph (not much for hiways), 30 to 34 mpg. So far maintenance items have been high but reasonable because of the age of the . Oil change, maint. check when I got it, oil change, then tires & alignment a year later, Y gasket on muffler, battery this last spring and now fluids/oil gasket replacement. Farkles... yeah... windshield, hwy. pegs, and assorted this's and that's. So I guess the the question is how much different do I ryde & treat the then the rest of the world???

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I ride about the same, except for last year,took a 30,000 mile trip around this great country of ours! Normally ride back rounds in Michigan 55 to 60mph.Avoid highways and large cities as mush as possible.
    At least you are riding, a lot of riders think 1500 miles a year is a lot.
    Enjoy your ride while you can!

Spyder Garage

Default NICE TRIP

30,000 miles !!! Nice Ryde... perhaps when I retire... 22 months

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We live in Western Pennsylvania. We both work full time. Our riding season is just about the same. We are riding our Spyders just about the same as you at approximately 1000 miles per month (except September, with Spyderquest we get that in a week .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2008 Spyders made their maximum horsepower and torque a bit further up the rev scale...
    Try upshifting at 6,000 rpm, and see if that wakes up the bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The 2008 Spyders made their maximum horsepower and torque a bit further up the rev scale...
    Try upshifting at 6,000 rpm, and see if that wakes up the bike.

That's what I was going to comment with. When I first started riding my Spyder, I was shifting according to sound...I read the "Do's and Dont's" section of this forum and changed the way I shifted....what a difference!! At 55mph, I am still in 4th gear and don't shift to 5th until I'm at 65mph....always trying to keep my rpm's at or above 4500.

2015 F3-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now, all 2013 and later 998 bikes are a horse of a different color. Their powerbands are about 750 to 1,000 rpm lower.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Riding style?

We live in NW Ohio, same riding time frame as you. Bought our rt limited on 8/16/14 with 9700 miles. It now has 16800+ mile on it. So again, we are very similar in miles rode. Close to same in trip lengths. We have had 2 trips of 200+ miles in one day, rest are around 100 miles round trip. I tracked mileage a few times this year and we are around 30 mpg riding two up.
    Style wise, as you say, it appears we are running about the same. I have found that our spyder seems smoother, ie shifting, cruising and all around happier if I shift at 6000 rpm and run around 55-5600 rpm in 4th gear. It took me until about May of this year to get used to the 'high' rev shift/cruise space, but did notice a difference in the ride and an increase in mileage.
    Understand, we are approaching 60 years of age, so the reving of the engine, trying to see how fast it can go or how fast we can get from point a to b isn't what we are looking for, but rather comfort and safety of the ride. Thats our 'style' of ride

Spyder Garage

Bikes are made to be ridden. You are definitely doing that. If someone wants to ride 1,000 miles per year and stop at every other bar along the way they should probably get a Harley.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.