Spyder Garage

Default Increased reports of MAP sensor hose failures!!!! DON'T WAIT to get bit!

Just a FYI.....

Now that hot weather is upon us, I am seeing a pretty large increase in reports of MAP sensor vacuum hose failures being reported!!
    Like at least 8 in the last week!

These are on 2010-2012 models and right now, MOST of them are 2012 models coming up!!!!

Seems even the 2012 is now old enough to start seeing failures of these hoses where before it was mostly 2010-2011.

Symptoms are:
    Running rough, slow acceleration, problems shifting (SE5), and bad idle. You may or may not show codes so some say but I question if they are doing it right.
    So far most of the reports WERE fixed with new hoses!

So folks, before you get BIT by this, I would take the time to get them checked or replace them yourself NOW!
    FYI, this is not on the service schedule per-say. So dealer mech's I don't think are inspecting these every service!

This is a sample of what happens to then and you may not be even able to see this visually!

If you want to do this yourself which is pretty easy this is what you should do:

1) Get Silicon hoses. The recommended hose comes from NAPA #H466
    Link: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...466_0006447108

2) Make sure when you replace the hoses that BOTH hoses are the same length! Try to make the new hoses the same length as the originals unless they were destroyed removing them. If they were, again the key is making sure both hoses are the same length on each side of the MAP sensor.

To see where these hoses are, see this older post about it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...529#post609529

Pictures below from the older post.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-30-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Just an FYI, these hoses are replaced as part of the 2013 recall. My silicone hoses are gone....replaced with brand new crappy rubber ones. Good thing I bought a roll.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just an FYI, these hoses are replaced as part of the 2013 recall. My silicone hoses are gone....replaced with brand new crappy rubber ones. Good thing I bought a roll.
    Really! That's stupid..... Sorry BRP..... I cannot believe in 5+ years you have not picked up on this failure and replaced these hoses with a better more reliable hose???????

I would tell the dealer NOT to replace the silicon hoses I put on.

Reminder to self should I ever take my Spyder to a dealer for service again.... "DO NOT replace my hoses"!!!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is some great information!..Thanks..I have a 2012 and need to check mine..

Spyder Garage

FYI one hour ago because I am listed on the Spyder "HELP" list, yet another vacuum hose failure on a 2012 RTS.

Guy was broke down limping along just outside of downtown San Bernardino not far from me. He called my number. Lucky I was home to be honest.

On the phone after him telling me of his symptoms, I told him about the MAP sensor hoses....
    The guy walked into an O'Reilly's auto parts and got silicon hose.
    He replaced them in the freakin parking lot which I am impressed with!

WAY TO GO James K...! Call me another time to shoot the sh*t!

Back on the road!

Add another hose failure to the list that seems to me to be growing now due to hotter weather!

BRP, could you PLEASE dump the sh*tty rubber hoses and go with something that won't leave people freakin stranded for a $1 hose!!!!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Question Surprised

Wish I was.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob,
    Thanks for posting this!
    Questions: If someone decides to cut some silicon vacuum lines for themselves; how important is it for the 2 lines to be the same length?

And what happens if they aren't?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob,
    Thanks for posting this!
    Questions: If someone decides to cut some silicon vacuum lines for themselves; how important is it for the 2 lines to be the same length?

And what happens if they aren't?
    I have read that it is important they be the same length or it could cause issues. It is a manifold pressure sensor and I suppose if they are not the same length it could read a slightly different pressure between each side. How true this really is? I do not know and I don't want to experiment and find out!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    My Technician agrees with you; he mentioned that they need to be EXACTLY the same length!
    (I was at the shop, when they were changing them out on a 2011 RT...)

Spyder Garage

Red face When is it an emergency repair?

When it happens to 'you'.

I remember mailing enough material to a certain someone so they could replace theirs before it happened to them. Upon receipt of said material. They decided to wait.

Oops!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe they were waiting for a midnight breakdown...

...in the rain.

...in the middle of nowhere!

Nothing like THAT; to knock all of the scale off your pipes!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    When it happens to 'you'.

I remember mailing enough material to a certain someone so they could replace theirs before it happened to them. Upon receipt of said material. They decided to wait.

Oops!
    Jerry, I did wait till my 14K service and then used the hose you gave me!

THANKS!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Talking Just razzing ya Bob

Spyder Garage

HMMmm I wonder how well the 2013 hoses will hold up now that there is some cool air running under the Tupperware? I bet longer than previous years
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    HMMmm I wonder how well the 2013 hoses will hold up now that there is some cool air running under the Tupperware? I bet longer than previous years
    I'm wondering the same thing. I bought some silicone hose to put on next time I was in there but I think I might leave the rubber hose on now. We'll see what happens
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I just learned that the 2013 and newer bikes supposedly have better spark plug wires and wonder if the same thing applies to these hoses?

Here's a picture of mine. Not sure you can see much.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436149509.805783.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

What size hose do I buy. 1/4' 3/8" ? Bob

Spyder Garage

Post #1 lists the NAPA part numbers and the online ordering info.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by recordingguy View Post
    What size hose do I buy. 1/4' 3/8" ? Bob
    1) Get Silicon hoses. The recommended hose comes from NAPA #H466
    Link: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...466_0006447108

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this much needed info. I am a 2012 owner and will be getting the new hoses as well.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Default Hosses

Mine failed two weeks ago on RT LTD 2012.

After replacing them the code didn't clear even after 15 minutes ride.

I went out for about a 30 minutes ride and the code was gone.

Thanks for the great info here I was able to take care of the issue myself even while I am still under warranty.
    This message was sent between rides

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is for ALL year bikes? My 2013 ST hoses look OK. Not sure if I want to take the chance messing with them.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes all year 998 engines. They all use the same hose.

Realize the hose can "visually" look fine but actually have hair line cracks sucking air.

Just recently (like 2 weeks ago when I posted this) a guy on facebook was having trouble and the same codes. He said he looked at the hoses and they looked fine. Once he got to the dealer.... it was the hoses.

Now maybe the RT's have more issue with these failing due to it being all covered up with Tupperware thus heat eating the hoses. So maybe the ST doesn't fail as fast? Just a thought.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: Yes all year 998 engines. They all use the same hose.

Once you told me this ( in a few PM's between us ) it was a no-brainer. I call it Preventive Maintenance.

However, that is a much smaller hose than I had expected.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The current part number is 420960118 (updated from 420960115 in Oct 2014). $12 each. Did they upgrade the quality?? One can only hope. It would be nice if they told us why the part number was changed.

For those who haven't looked yet, this is what they look like -- small, about 4" long. After 30K miles, they took a set to this shape -- don't come that way. The end going into the TB fits over a serrated brass fitting that is really tight and it's hard to get the hose off. In contrast, the end for the MAP sensor just fits over a smooth plastic fitting that's easy on, easy off. There's a zip tie on my old one because we found it leaking at the MAP sensor fitting just due to not being tight anymore as it dried out. That was a temporary fix (I was throwing lean codes) until the new hoses were ordered and I put them in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces