Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

The issues with the 2013's seem to be finally resolved, and we only want to help you out in making the best possible choice. I missed the need for an automatic, and I'd be right there with you.

I can't speak to what deals are and aren't actually possible, but you can purchase something like this by phone if you want to - I'd do that for a new Spyder only, of course.

In any event, posts that say I just got a Spyder come with many "congrats" and not much of anything else.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default Good Price

I just purchased a 2013 RT-S SE5 last month, actually purchased it in May and had to wait for BRP to release the specs of the recall. My bike was also listed at 17,999 I offered 500 less and it was accepted. I also got a 3 year warranty included in the purchase however the prep fee was more for me. Walked out the door at 20k. After riding about 250 miles I like the RT more and more. Has great response is very comfortable. However the roar of the engine is taking some getting used to. I think the 2014 with a 6th gear may be quieter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Hi Wavey. Love my 2013 RT especially now the "heat issue" is sorted as far as I'm concerned.
    You asked about "farkles" - obviously no end of what can be done but the one single item that I added to my RT was a heavier Sway Bar. You will not believe the difference it makes to the handling of an RT.
    Have fun and stay safe
    What does adding a heavier sway bar do for the ride, I am experiencing a lot of back and forth motion on back roads with the pot holes and uneven road surfaces.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminMeanie View Post
    I've been told via PM that a '14 RT is available in Nashville for $16,999. If there is, I can't find it. Best deal I've been able to find advertised anywhere in the U.S. on a '14 RT-S SE-6 (the '13 I'm looking at is an RT-S SE-5, for comparing apples to apples) is $24,xxx (not including dealer fees, etc.). The '13 RT-S SE-5 here has an in-house price of $17,999, plus taxes, and dealer prep/title transfer fee of $350. For 2015 RT-S SE-6s, I can only find MSRP-priced units.

The main reason I want to get another Spyder is for my sanity. My long-time boss recently retired, and I am temporarily doing his job as well as my own (but, of course, for only the salary of one job). This situation is likely to continue for at least several more months. I do not currently have the ability to take more than a day or two off of work until, most likely, October or November, which is what makes the "fly and ride" option a no-go. If someone can point me to a new '14 RT-S SE-6 that I can get for under $22K, signed, sealed, and delivered, I will drop this lightly used '13 like a hot potato and be on the phone to that dealer tomorrow.
    YOU MUST HAVE MY POSTS ...BLOCKED ...TOO BAD BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU COULD READ POST # 15 ABOVE..........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default HERE'S ONE AN LTD EVEN

I've been told via PM that a '14 RT is available in Nashville for $16,999. If there is, I can't find it. Best deal I've been able to find advertised anywhere in the U.S. on a '14 RT-S SE-6 (the '13 I'm looking at is an RT-S SE-5, for comparing apples to apples) is $24,xxx (not including dealer fees, etc.). The '13 RT-S SE-5 here has an in-house price of $17,999, plus taxes, and dealer prep/title transfer fee of $350. For 2015 RT-S SE-6s, I can only find MSRP-priced units.

The main reason I want to get another Spyder is for my sanity. My long-time boss recently retired, and I am temporarily doing his job as well as my own (but, of course, for only the salary of one job). This situation is likely to continue for at least several more months. I do not currently have the ability to take more than a day or two off of work until, most likely, October or November, which is what makes the "fly and ride" option a no-go. If someone can point me to a new '14 RT-S SE-6 that I can get for under $22K, signed, sealed, and delivered, I will drop this lightly used '13 like a hot potato and be on the phone to that dealer tomorrow.
    E-BAY ITEM # 111703523614.....2014 RT-LTD SE-6 ,$ 21,950 or YOU CAN MAKE A LOWER OFFER.........AND I DON'T THINK THEY CHARGE ANY FEE'S AND THEY WILL SHIP........YOUR WELCOME ......MIKE
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info, Mike. Try as I could, I couldn't find any links to the bike in Nashville that you referenced earlier.

I will not buy a vehicle through eBay. Period. I'm not terribly keen on buying ANY vehicle, even brand new, sight unseen. Call me old-fashioned. Doesn't mean I won't talk to a distant dealer, but it's not my first choice....or even a close second.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot to be said about putting your hands on the bike...
    Happy hunting, and the Best of Luck to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

First, my condolences on your loss. It is a terrible thing to lose a loved one.

As for a 2013 RT, I have one and love it. It is against federal law for a dealership to sell a vehicle without doing all recalls, first. So, unless this dealer is a totally untrustworthy POS who should be in jail, you should have no concerns regarding recalls. There are also service bulletins that BRP releases from time to time, and there were several on the 2013 RT. The dealer should be able to give you a printout showing what has been done on that RT . . . tell them that you want to see it.

There is nothing wrong with the 2013 RT, once the recalls and service bulletins are done . . . regarding "long in the tooth technology", one could also refer to it as "proven technology" . . . semantics. If you absolutely must have the newest and best, you will never be happy, unless you buy a new Spyder, every year. You don't need anyone's approval except your own . . . but I suspect that if you buy the 2013 RT you will be very happy with it . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    E-BAY ITEM # 111703523614.....2014 RT-LTD SE-6 ,$ 21,950 or YOU CAN MAKE A LOWER OFFER.........AND I DON'T THINK THEY CHARGE ANY FEE'S AND THEY WILL SHIP........YOUR WELCOME ......MIKE
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111703523614...614%26_rdc%3D1

It's used, not new, and shipping/pick-up is on me, not them. FWIW, my ex-husband bought a bike from this dealer some years ago. The shipping arrangements were a nightmare, the bike was not as represented as far as cosmetic condition *and* running order, and in a nutshell, he got fairly well screwed. After all the hassle of getting it shipped (among other things, the truck could not deliver it to a residential address), it just wasn't worth trying to return it or make a claim against the seller.

If I'm buying from a dealer out of state, I will only consider a new one. I do appreciate you trying, though.

Spyder Garage

I have been talking to the local dealer some more about prices on '15 RTs, and he does have some in stock. Came to the conclusion that I don't really need the RT-S package; I'd be fine with an RT. Going down there tomorrow to sit down with him and do a side-by-side comparo of the cost of buying a new '15 RT vs. the used '13 RT-S. Whichever one yields the better deal overall (taking into account depreciation on the '13 as well as the cost and duration of the extended warranty available on each) is going home with me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We can't wait to hear what your decision turns out to be!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My '14RT-S is my first Spyder and I have had no experiences with the Rotax V-twin engines. That said I don't want to rain on your parade but offer this suggestion: if your budget can handle it and you want an RT, a 300 mile or so drive to another dealer to test ride a '14 RT would be well worth it IMO. Even with the heat recall mods made you are buying older, some would say long in the tooth, technology. The 1330 engine, speed transmission and hydraulically operated clutch is a quantum leap in both performance and reduced maintenance cost. The 300 mile ride bringing a '14 RT home will have you very comfortable with it when you roll into your driveway. JMO. If you like the high reving V-twin, go for it! Good luck.
    l own 2013 RT and am very happy with it. I have also ridden various Spyders with the 1330 engine now on several occasions. Is the new engine and trans better? Absolutely, but not by "a quantum leap". It all comes down to perceived value for the money spent. A new buyer could be happy with either, IMHO - especially now that the heat issues are largely resolved.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... Going down there tomorrow ...Whichever one yields the better deal overall (taking into account depreciation on the '13 as well as the cost and duration of the extended warranty available on each) is going home with me.
    RT or RT-S. You know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default 14 RT

Holzhauer 888-276-2628 Nashville ill 14 Rt-S 3800 mi $15999 I have the 14 and love it Bought mine there.

Spyder Garage

Default NOT NEW NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    Holzhauer 888-276-2628 Nashville ill 14 Rt-S 3800 mi $15999 I have the 14 and love it Bought mine there.
    I gave Her this info about 15 posts ago, but I see they've dropped the price $1000........and I bought mine there also........didn't charge for freight, set-up, jus a small document fee and temp plate ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a sweet deal, but at this point I am sticking with buying locally, if for no other reason that I like supporting my local dealer. My loyalty to them at buying time translates to better service from them down the road at repair/maintenance time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A very wise thought...

Spyder Garage

Default LOYALTY = GREAT SERVICE

Sounds like a sweet deal, but at this point I am sticking with buying locally, if for no other reason that I like supporting my local dealer. My loyalty to them at buying time translates to better service from them down the road at repair/maintenance time.
    I wish this were true. But there are also some Horror stories here on Spyderlovers that say otherwise. I'm not saying there aren't Great dealers out there. But there are only two Guarantee's .....DEATH & TAXES ....IMHO.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Went over the numbers with a fine-toothed comb, and this was by far the best deal, especially considering I got another $1K off the price, a free cover, and 4 years worth of extended warranty thrown in to sweeten the deal.

IT IS MINE!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Oh, heat issue recall not done yet. They have ordered the parts, so that should happen sometime this next week. Meanwhile, I got to go for a RYDE today. And possibly another one tomorrow, and another one on Sunday!

And, yes, sumbitch does get hot! It's not a deal breaker, but it will definitely be more comfortable once it's done. Glad so many of you have spoken up about what a huge improvement the recall changes provide.

His name is Pimp. Short for (the Scarlet) Pimpernel.

Spyder Garage

So glad you let us know what you did - great color, great deal, great warranty and I have no doubt that you will love it!
    Last edited by MRH; 07-03-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: your last post made the rest of mine redundant.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

S'posed to rain this afternoon, so instead of planning a long ride, I took the Pimpernel grocery shopping. Eight bags of stuff, and there was enough room left over for at least that many more.

Spyder Garage

Without a link and/or a dealer name, I can't find the referenced advertisement, and I don't want a manual transmission in any case.

One thing I do know about dealers in the western states: they have a pronounced tendency to advertise "loss leaders" and then when you contact the dealer about it, "oh, that *just* sold, but I do have another one you might be interested in." For an extra 15% in in price. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me (bikes and cars).

Since I'm never in the same town as these "remarkable" deals, I don't have any way to prove it, except that I occasionally notice, a month or two later, the same "deal" still posted on their website/ad. I've even gone so far as to make a note of the VIN and compare the two. Once or twice I've even called again, on the same ad, and asked them why I was told it was previously sold if the ad was still up. "Oh, the original deal fell through, so we put the ad back up." Oh, good, so it's still available? "Let me double check.......no, it was just sold this morning. But I've got some others you might be interested in......" Etc.

So, I would love to see links to any legitimate deals out there. On my own steam, I'm not finding any. FWIW, I've bought numerous motorcycles (not just the Spyder) from this local dealer over the years, and I've never gotten a bad deal or a lemon, and their service department is better than any other m/c dealer in town.

I am sad that my post released a seeming avalanche of doom and gloom. I appreciate all the measured input, both good and bad, regarding the '13 RTs. The "zOMG, DON'T DO IT THEY'RE AWFUL" responses, maybe not quite as much.

I am left with the feeling that, if I were to go ahead and purchase this RT, I would be disinclined to share the information here for fear of the backlash I might receive.
    I don't think you would get backlash here. Do your homework and do what you think is best for you. There are a lot of happy 2013 owners out there. They can't all be wrong!!

Spyder Garage

Without a link and/or a dealer name, I can't find the referenced advertisement, and I don't want a manual transmission in any case.

One thing I do know about dealers in the western states: they have a pronounced tendency to advertise "loss leaders" and then when you contact the dealer about it, "oh, that *just* sold, but I do have another one you might be interested in." For an extra 15% in in price. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me (bikes and cars).

Since I'm never in the same town as these "remarkable" deals, I don't have any way to prove it, except that I occasionally notice, a month or two later, the same "deal" still posted on their website/ad. I've even gone so far as to make a note of the VIN and compare the two. Once or twice I've even called again, on the same ad, and asked them why I was told it was previously sold if the ad was still up. "Oh, the original deal fell through, so we put the ad back up." Oh, good, so it's still available? "Let me double check.......no, it was just sold this morning. But I've got some others you might be interested in......" Etc.

So, I would love to see links to any legitimate deals out there. On my own steam, I'm not finding any. FWIW, I've bought numerous motorcycles (not just the Spyder) from this local dealer over the years, and I've never gotten a bad deal or a lemon, and their service department is better than any other m/c dealer in town.

I am sad that my post released a seeming avalanche of doom and gloom. I appreciate all the measured input, both good and bad, regarding the '13 RTs. The "zOMG, DON'T DO IT THEY'RE AWFUL" responses, maybe not quite as much.

I am left with the feeling that, if I were to go ahead and purchase this RT, I would be disinclined to share the information here for fear of the backlash I might receive.
    I don't think you would get much backlash here. People for the most part are very helpful. Do your homework and do what is the best for you.